Not An Oil Thread

• Member Contributer

Please do not crucify me as this is not, and I repeat, not an oil thread. I am just wondering if anyone out there is using Rotella in their 7th Gens. I had just started using it in my 98 and the 94 Magna when I sold them. It seemed to work great in those. Again, just curious.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the input guys. I have used Mobil 1 and like it. Getting kind of pricey around here though. I will probably use Honda gn4 for the first change and then go from there.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

I started using Rotella T6 from Wallyworld a few years ago. Burgman 400, Burgman 650, DR200, and now my 2003 VFR. Shifts were a bit smoother on the standard transmission bikes. I'll continue to use it in whatever comes along next.

• Member Contributer

If it's of any help, here's the oil analysis report from my gen 6 for Rotella T-6 drained at 4,591 miles. That was longer than I would have liked but circumstances did not allow for anything shorter. Note that the viscosity had fallen out of grade (which manifested itself in notchier shifting) and a bit high on the Aluminum and Iron. But T-6 comes up almost like the M/C oils in terms of Zinc and Phosphorous and has no friction modifiers which is good. I would love to find a synthetic 15W-40 diesel oil, but have not found one - all the 15W's I have seen are dino oil.

OilLabReport_0001_zpsf887a86e.jpg

• Member Contributer

You really won't do better than that unless you switch to Amsoil. I've submitted countless Blackstone Lab samples for previous bikes and you can get up to 10k intervals if you aren't doing trackdays. I got to where I changed the oil only once per year with a filter swap and top off in between. The Amsoil is worth the extra scratch if you take the time and money to send samples. It's still the best mc oil on the market IMO. Ymmv.

• Member Contributer

No no no no no no. I just wanted to know if someone had used Rotella. I found the answer I was looking for and I thank everyone that replied. Now, I just noticed that Honda says to put in 10w-30. What is the deal with this and what viscosity are my fellow 7th genners running :goofy: .

• Member Contributer

Yes, used it up to 1600, then off to my usual Amsoil. We're talking about brake fluid right?

Nope.

Blinker fluid. I use 10-30.

No no no no no no. I just wanted to know if someone had used Rotella. I found the answer I was looking for and I thank everyone that replied. Now, I just noticed that Honda says to put in 10w-30. What is the deal with this and what viscosity are my fellow 7th genners running :goofy: .

Yap, it's an oil thread. :rolleyes:

I run whatever moto synthetic is on sale. Mostly Mobil 1 10w40.

• Member Contributer

10w40.

• 4 months later...

Honda specifies 10w30 non energy conserving I have put 2600 miles on it first oil change at 350 two filter 10w30 mobil oil lots of metal on clutch filter at 650 same thing less metal on same filter I will change it in a few day one more time but I will use 10w40 since all 10w30s are energy conserving and will post if anything changes.

I read a report of Rotella and using it in the older bikes, like my 85 Yamaha. I did not like what I read. I've always used Spectro 10w40. They were very small when I started using them and right down the street from the shop I worked in in San Diego. Then I think I got it for $3/qt. Now it's $9. I'll stay with this as it has always worked fine, although a bit pricey.

• Member Contributer

I think he is selling his 1200, but it is an interesting thread from the standpoint of Honda recommending 10-w30 and asking what folks are using instead in their 7th gens. Wonder why the difference in viscosity recommended?

I'm now going with BLS's recommendation (or close to it) by using Mobil1 0-w40 synthetic in my CB1kR. Found it a Walmart for about $19/5 qts....heck of a deal.

I think the OP started this thread soon after he got the 1200. Don't think he was thinking of selling it then.

Oil threads are pretty much the same. I have yet to hear a definitive case of somebody doing harm to an engine by using any one particular oil, racing applications aside. With motorcycles, wet clutch is my one concern. I once switched to conventional (non-synthetic) oil in a C14 and shifting got a bit knotchy. Changed back to 10W40 Mobil 1 full-syn and it went away. Otherwise, I just stock up on the popular stuff whenever it's on sale.

FWIW, Autozone seems to put the motorcycle Mobil 1 on sale every once in a while. I snatched up some 10 bottles from 2 different stores for $7.99ea IIRC.

• Member Contributer

I'm now going with BLS's recommendation (or close to it) by using Mobil1 0-w40 synthetic in my CB1kR. Found it a Walmart for about $19/5 qts....heck of a deal.

That is a damn good price for full synth.

• Member Contributer

That is a damn good price for full synth.

It's $24.95 for 5 qt's here ..

Archived