2 Vfr And Few Others Head To Gap: My First Gap Trip

Hopefully our trip down there serves as sort of booster and prologue for the rest of the ohio riders. If at all there was any chance i would have taken the vacation in june when weather was so much better. I could only take it this early may, with chance of freaking rain every where. And thx to all my friends who took theirs along with mine to give me company and sacrifice some good riding days.

As i way mentioning the past week I used up my last vacation days for this trip. I know may is way too early to risk for a gap trip with chance of rain any time. But this was the last of the opportunity for me to do this as i dont have the privilege to get more off days later on.

Our plan was to ride all the way down from NE Ohio to the gap and back. We were planning on hitting WV roads on the way down and then take Kentucky roads back up. Total of 6 days planned. Got the bike prepped up with fresh rubber and fluids. The weather prediction looked excellent ……….. until the night before we were about to leave. And as expected of any great dreamy plans, here comes the biggest cloud I ever saw on radar. Yes it rained for the entire 6 days with one day of break in between. In between the rain it would shine for a few which kept our spirits high. We rode as much as the damp conditions would allow us. We pushed the corners at safe speed even though the twisty nature was far more inviting and seductive to the throttle hand. By the fifth day our heart sank because of the rain. All 5 of us had took the rare and much needed vacation to relax and enjoy and ended up getting this. Frustration kicked in and we slabbed all the way back home for 11 hours, 5 hours of which was in rain. Imagine that. But, but one day we got. One warm sunny day we got at the deals gap. That day we went berserk like prisoners on parole. We rode our hearts out, burned our rubbers and spend every inch of energy, soul and spirit to enjoy the trip. Now our muscles are sore, nerves stretched and joints ache. But in the depth of sorrow from a rained and ruined vacation there still lies this glimmer of wicked smile and happiness thinking about the fun we had, the mischief me and bike did together. This will be my first gap trip and best gap trip in spite of all the negatives, just because of all the varied experiences we endured together. But also that one day of pure riding came is as a blessing for the 5 stranded riders in riding paradise.

Well enough with the writing, As i mentioned most days we walked into the hotel or cabin soaking drenched and hanging up our gear to dry for the next day. Didnt get the oppurtunity to take the camera out for pics or shoooting video much. But I put together some pics i got to make up abreif story of what we went through.

small-bike-ready_zpsc03ae23b.png

Bike getting prepped for the journey.

small-rain-and-fog_zps08c82382.png

On highway 16 WV, All geared up, waiting for the next wave of rain to hit us.

small-cabin_zps7120099c.png

by second day night arrived at the cabin

small-gear_zps3878af71.png

Throw our gear around and hit the bed hoping for a better tomorrow

small-iron-horse_zpsde5313a6.png

Next day morning on way to breakfast

small-dragon-board_zps75204c4f.png

finally at he famous footsteps

small-kill-boy_zps3d49254a.png

Pretty sure he will be waiting for us even in this weather

small-damp-curves_zps885031a7.png

All damp roads :mad:

small-sunny-curves_zps5db20ade.png

Finally sun shine

small-vfr-corner_zps16e2dedd.png

Beautiful roads

small-ducati_zps9c2d34a0.png

Back at the gap ogling at other pretty ones. still very loyal to vfr

small-cousins_zps04847e7d.png

The cousins Headed to Cherohala skyway.

small-bikes-waiting-cherhola_zpsb7a1ff14

Short break in between

small-black-viffer_zps822d1837.png

She sure likes to play dirty. Look at the smiles, day seems to get better and better.

smalljerry_zpsbdc82247.png

He looks happy

small-smoky-moutain-dream_zps5162c9f7.pn

Words cant describe how beautiful this place really is

small-group-skyway_zps71489a09.png

small-friends_zpsea14c528.png

Might as well get a group pic while the sun is still shining biggrin.gif

small-night_zps715b7cd5.png

Back in robinsville by sundown

small-night-kitchen_zpsd43eb297.png

Much needed break for both the bikes and us. Good place to munch down

small-night-sleep_zpsd881606b.png

sleeping under their night light after heavt duty work day

small-night-sky_zps8c5555e5.png

View from deck of cabin, never got to see such clear sky and peaceful night in a long time time for us to get some sleep as well,

the next day we head back home... of course under rain :goofy:.

Hope you guys enjoyed the brief ride report. Will update a bit more with pics and write up later.

<p style="text-align:center;">And here is the video</p>
<p style="text-align:center;"> </p>
<p style="text-align:center;"> </p>
<p style="text-align:center;">

A rainy day in those hills beats a day at work every time.

Very true, but i wish once in life time trip gap would be sunny and wonderful had lots and lots of plans with pics videos and every thing. :sad: hope i can make it down here again

nice pix mate, thanks for sharing...

Thanks for the appreciation Ab-Oz

• Member Contributer

I'll second that.

Thanks for the post, Doc. Beautiful pictures as always!

• Member Contributer

Better be wet than bored........ :goofy:

Nice trip and pics!

I'll second that.

Thanks for the post, Doc. Beautiful pictures as always!

Better be wet than bored........ :goofy:

Nice trip and pics!

Thank you Yokel and dutchy :D hope i find time to update this with few more pics

Sorry about the weather. Stunning pictures!

than you waghp :)

That area looks absolutely stunning. Not just for riding but stunning period.

yep ashok it is really an awesome place, wish i could spend more time there

Oh $hit sorry for the low side, great video editing and you did us proud, the VFRer look good. Thanks posting.

Thx switch blade. Jester and me tried to make the vfr look good for the killboy cams :D

ryan who was riding the gsxr was psycho good rider, tires slipped from wet, took it back up, started riding just like that

One of my "must ride" roads....

truly it is

Very unfortunate it rained almost the entire week. But on a positive note, that often means you have the road almost to yourselves :biggrin:

Great pics and video :fing02:

Thank you v4 rosso

• Member Contributer

Those pictures are absolutely amazing. I am familiar with the area and you have captured the essence of it, kudos on your photography and your subject framing.

You'll be back Doc. You're not moving that far away.

Great pics and RR as always.

thx mykill, we will go together next year :)

This is my favorite picture of myself from the gap.

296360-1.jpg

awesome one jester, email me the ones you bought, i can include them in the RR

Those pictures are absolutely amazing. I am familiar with the area and you have captured the essence of it, kudos on your photography and your subject framing.

Thank you CC, hopefully I get to spend more sunny days down there next time.

Those are some Fantastic pics, Sorry to hear you got rained out. I'm heading down in July for the 6th or 7th year, I can't wait.

Archived