Help, Need Chain Lube Advice...

Audigier

Hello again guys, I just installed a new chain and I don't know what lube I should stick with.

With my previous chain I was using PJ1 Blue Label lube, i can't tell how good it was but my chain would quickly look nasty and that thing is very sticky, dunno but I don't think that's good...

I just got a can of Maxima Chain Wax, never used it and i really don't know anything about chains. I just want to get the longest life out of this new chain as possible.

Should I stick with the sticky pj1 or should I switch to the chain wax?

Btw, the chain Is brand new and rode about 30 miles, should I lube it already or the grease film that comes with it is good for the rule of 500 miles???

• Member Contributer

I hope you get some serious answers but with this thread title you will at least get some laughs. Good luck and I would lube the chain now but can't advise you as to the best lube but I bet you can search this site and find it. They will also tell you to install a Scott's oiler most likely

Again good luck

• Member Contributer

I tried Chain Wax many years ago and maybe it's better now, but it was poop then. I use 80-90 gear lube and the Hawke Oiler. It works well, but the rear wheel does get a bit messy, but since it's just lube it cleans up easy. Lots of choices out there.

I tried Chain Wax many years ago and maybe it's better now, but it was poop then. I use 80-90 gear lube and the Hawke Oiler. It works well, but the rear wheel does get a bit messy, but since it's just lube it cleans up easy. Lots of choices out there.

In the last 20 years Ive bought two cans of chain wax, the second time was cause I forgot I bought the first, imo it sucks clogs up the whole chain, so Id use the pj1 over the wax. If those are the choices.

• Member Contributer

I hate chain wax, because its a dirt magnet and everything sticks to it. -- Suggestion is to go to a dry film type like Pro Honda HP Chain Lube (red can). It has Moly and Teflon in it. - Clean chain, spray on. Let sit for 20 minutes and its dry. No tackyness, and generally chain stays clean.

(Holy shit, I agreed on something with spud. Did hell freeze over? :wink: )

:cool:

I use a Teflon lube, found it a Lowes. Have to say, you gotta do more than what I do though...

I really never lubed or adjusted the chain much after installing it about 10k miles ago, and after many thousand miles of it running loose, it has seriously bad wear on the rear sprocket. The dip in between the teeth is seriously deep, and if the chain is properly adjusted, the links will hang onto the sprocket.

Oh, well, I can use it as a teaching moment for the guy at work who comes over frequently when I do mechanical work, so he feels more comfortable working on his bike.

• Member Contributer

A german MC mag (Motorrad) did a test on chain oils, measuring various charactaristics. I recall that the S100 White stuff came out on top.

I used it on Gradus' 6th gen during TMAC.

I have a Scotoiler fitted on my 4th Gen.

Not meaning to preach to the choir...but most chain lubes. ..and there are lots to choose work very well-Provided the chain is cleaned thoroughly before applying fresh lube.

There are no short cuts in chain prep. Good cleaners are diesel fuel or WD40 and brushes with non metalic bristles work well to remove crud and at the same time do not damage seal rings (x ring. .o ring).

Warming up the chain..as in low rpm first gear on the center stand for a few minutes helps toss crud and a slightly warmed chain allows better penetration of lubes.

Rotate the rear wheel by hand and lube the inside of the links and let that dry or tack up a bit. Then rotate by hand again and apply a second coat to the outside of the links. Let dry/absorb and you have a better chance of keeping the lube on the chain instead of the wheel.

For what its worth...imho the best chain lube is Motul Factory Line.

LOVE this stuff, chain is super quiet and eats this stuff up. If you do it after a long ride and let the lube sit over night there is NO fling-off. Keeps your chain, guard, wheels, and swingarm looking good, and your chain loves the super slippery teflon :fing02:

post-26416-0-23347100-1365007248.jpg

• Member Contributer

LOVE this stuff, chain is super quiet and eats this stuff up. If you do it after a long ride and let the lube sit over night there is NO fling-off. Keeps your chain, guard, wheels, and swingarm looking good, and your chain loves the super slippery teflon :fing02:

I've used the same stuff from day one on my '04. It has close to 23K miles on the original chain and sprockets and everything still looks good.

That looks like the Teflon stuff I use. When I remember to, at least. I get a bit over 20k miles/chain with occasional spraying of the lube, and a very, very occasional cleaning with a "Grunge" brush.

Mostly highway miles, commuting. Very occasional rain here in TX. Just got some rain today, so probably will hit up the chain tonight with some lube when I get home. Unless I'm really tired.

• Member Contributer

+1. I switched to this stuff at the end of last year. Was using 90 weight and it really makes a mess. Noticed an immediate improvement after doing a thorough cleaning and applying the Dupont. Chain is quieter and smoother.

• Member Contributer

Available in a squeeze bottle now. I bought some hoping it will be easier to apply with no overspray. Easier to pack on trips. If spring ever gets here, I'll give it a try.

036121191860lg.jpg

Available in a squeeze bottle now. I bought some hoping it will be easier to apply with no overspray. Easier to pack on trips. If spring ever gets here, I'll give it a try.

036121191860lg.jpg

Well, I can tell you it works. It is more convinient to pack on trips, however it is much faster to use the spray. I don't mind overspray for the simple fact that with a spray can I can aim, spray, and spin the wheel by hand.

(I take the squeeze bottle on trips, normally.)

BTW, how's Rochester holding up? Sounds like you are still buried under snow?

• Member Contributer

BTW, how's Rochester holding up? Sounds like you are still buried under snow?

Snow is mostly gone, but it is cold with a biting wind. Roads are covered in salt.

I used to live there, hated waiting until a good rain to wash that junk off the road.

Then again I snapped a clutch cable getting my bike out of a barn, and rode it back to my school on partially snow-covered roads. Not my most intelligent move. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

150k+ miles on different bikes, never "cleaned" a chain. Slap some gear oil down every 600 miles or so...the good O-ring chains last 22k-25k miles...then replace sprockets and chain...rinse and repeat @ the next 23k miles..

• 1 month later...

Reviving old topic, I know, but I had a similar question..

I see so many people raving on other forums about different cleaners and oils that I feel rather negligent.

This is what I use:

Castrol-HypoyC-gear-oil-1-quart-80W90.jp

Have to use a rag to apply it to the chain, and so it cleans (not perfectly, but pretty well) as its applied. I tried different chain-specific cleaners/lubes on my CBR250, then tried this once and it seems to work just as well. It's all I've used on the VFR and after 2,000 miles, I haven't noticed any maladies. There is some fling, but if you let it set overnight, it's almost un noticeable. May give that DuPont Teflon a try, though. Anyone know where it can be had for lowest prices?

• Member Contributer

Salesman at a dealership told me that a couple of his buddies who ride Harleys get a new chain and sprocket every year - they prefer that to getting grease flung up on their back wheel. Seriously.

I was using gear oil as per the Honda MOM, but had a can of Motul Road chain spray so I used that last. Any one know a reason I shouldn't?

Oh, I think Walmart has that Dupont spray.

Archived