Oil Overfilling, What Could Happen?

Audigier

I was being helped by a friend when I was doing the oil change.

The oil level was checked with the engine running and filled to be on the middle of the glass while enigine was running on the center.

My friend who filled the oil said that he filled to the half of the glass and when he started the oil disappeared from the glass so he filled little by little and until the level would be on the half of the glass while running, so...

I though that it would not harm, as I understand the oil level should be read with the engine off and it's normal that the level drops when the engine is running.

I don't know this would do any harm since I'm hearing some engine knocking that goes away after the engine oil gets warm (one fan cycle)

While the engine is cold it will idle quietly but if you rev the engine above 4000 rpm it will start knocking and the noise won't go away until restarting the engine. If you rev the engine the noise starts again and remain even at idle until you shut down and restart the bike.

This kind of noise was present before but would not be this loud and would go away when the them was above 180F

I don't know if I should take some oil out , any suggestions on how to do it?

I have the fairings off could this be causing the noise to be louder? But anyway it used to clear above 180F and now it's there until fan kicks in and the engine gets real warm.

I haven't done anything else than change the oil, filter and coolant so I don't think I broke anything.

Here are some videos I hope the noise can be heard and identifie

• Member Contributer

Put the bike on the center stand and siphon off the oil until it gets back to the middle of the glass with engine off. Too much oil is not catastrophic but it isn't good either. Depending on how much more of it there is, one thing I've heard of is crank frothing it up. You can get a length of thin tube and just suck it out one tube at a time or crack the oil plug and spill a little.

Your noise sounds like the CCT to me.

Too much oil can "suffocate" your engine. Engines are basically air pumps, and if you have too much oil in the system, your engine can't "breathe" properly. It can also cause some bad side effects if left that way and driven for too long.

How do I know? My wife had her car serviced, and they put in TWICE the amount of oil they were supposed to. So roughly 8+ quarts. The car ran like crap for a few miles, and I ended up calling my friend who is a mechanic. He had us bring it in, and he looked at it. Told us to take it back to the place and have them fix the oil level, and let them know that if anyhting failed related to that, they would be responsible for it.

As someone suffering from recent CCT issues, I do not think that sounds like a CCT. The CCT sound is more "random" in cadence if that makes sense. Also, CCT noise tends to stop when rev'd up because the cam chain is under more tension.

You definitely overfilled it if you filled to the line while the engine is running. Yes, you should take some out! The proper procedure is to let the bike sit, not running, for 3-5 minutes and then check the level in the glass. Check it when it is level and upright.

I removed oil.

Warmed up the engine and let it sit for 5 mins and checked the level, now it is between the two marks.

Sound seemed to be gone so now I'm just going to let the engine and oil cool and see if its gone.

I measured the amount of oil i took out and it was about 1 quarter and a half

1 quarter and a half

:beer: Sounds about right.

Hope that was the source of the noise! If you are like me, engine noises drive me crazy, and also make me sick to my stomach.

I let the engine cool, started it up and the noise is still there

What could be the cause?? I'm very worried because I'm leaving on a long trip in a couple of days, could be the oil filter?? The oil light is not lite while engine is runnin

Overfilled crankcase can also result in a very messy airbox, becuase there's usually the crankcase breather in there next to the air filter and the extra oil can be pumped up into the airbox by crankcase pressure. The oil might also mess up things in newer fuel injected bikes like air mass sensors, downstream from the airbox.....

Sometimes when those get messed up, they could not be fixed and have to be replaced = $$$....

BTW, make sure you follow the instructions on the bike's manual on how the oil level shoudl be checked on the bike. Either on the centerstand or the side stand......

Chombi

• Member Contributer

Can you isolate where the noise is coming from. Top end or bottom end? The V-tech engines are chain driven cams correct? Sounds to me since the sounds goes away when applying throttle (like a chain getting tight) and then comes back with no throttle. (chain getting loose) I may be way off base on this. Don't know much about the v-tech engines. To me, it sounds like a valve train noise....something loose/needs adjusted?????

Cam chain tensioner noise on the 6th gen is usually caused by air instead of oil filling the front tensioner. This causes the tensioner plunger to rattle in its case. Annoying but benign. Using a thicker oil like 20w50 or dirty oil filter can make this worse. Thinner oil flows better. After 80k miles mine started to rattle momentarily when cold (thicker oil) and at idle (lower oil pressure). I had good luck with Castol GTX 10w40.

• Member Contributer

Overfilling can also cause oil to seep out the cap while riding and you'll have oil on your boot, swingarm, and most importantly your rear tire which could cause a crash. See this thing first hand, right in front of me.

It sounds on the middle of the engine I believe it's louder on the right side where the tensioner is, if i remember correctly with the old oil i was not hearing this lately but i remember it used to do it, probably I got used to it or it stopped doing it when the oil was getting thin due it's age, the oil filter is new, is there any way to bleed the tensioner? Or it as to be replaced??

Would it harm the engine to run it like this??

Yeah that sounds like cct noise, probably the front one.

You can try a car oil and run it about 50 miles, somethin like a castrol 10w40, otherwise replace. oils that have a good wax or moly content the cct's seem to like.

its just the cct plunger ocssilating, the noise has not produced any failures that I know of, but is annoying.

CCt noise, the patterns can vary alot to chronic, like you have or intermittant like others.

• Member Contributer

When the crankcase is overfilled excessively, the spinning crankshaft will contact the oil and whip it into a froth. The micro bubbles are compressible, and oil pressure drops. Long term operation in this condition is catastrophic to your engine and will result in main bearing damage, connecting rod bearing damage, piston scuffing/scoring, etc. . Since you notice and corrected the problem immediately, damage to your engine is unlikely.

The frequency of your noise is not in synch with the engine speed, which would lead me to believe that it is not internal (or at least the source is not a rotating compontent). I suspect the source is a motor mount, header pipe, or some other external component. Might help to get the motorcycle outside, where echos from inside the garage could mislead your diagnosis. Good luck. Jeff J.

• Member Contributer

Overfilled crankcase can also result in a very messy airbox, becuase there's usually the crankcase breather in there next to the air filter and the extra oil can be pumped up into the airbox by crankcase pressure. The oil might also mess up things in newer fuel injected bikes like air mass sensors, downstream from the airbox.....

Sometimes when those get messed up, they could not be fixed and have to be replaced = $$$....

BTW, make sure you follow the instructions on the bike's manual on how the oil level shoudl be checked on the bike. Either on the centerstand or the side stand......

Chombi

+1 I have personally witness this.... not pretty .....

6thgen takes exactly 3 quarts with no filter change, 3.1 quart with filter , I only change filters every 4 or 5 oil changes , that makes the 3 quart dump and pump real easy. No measuring needed, but as long as you can see air at top of glass its fine, I usually run mine at the top line.

Archived