Blacking Out The Shiney Parts

Guest davjohns

Guest davjohns

It just seems silly to me for the bike to be asphalt colored and have shiney parts. I painted the pillion pegs satin black, but the finish wasn't quite right. So, I went back with high heat black. It has a greyish quality that matches the seat perfectly. So, I'm going to get the other portions as well.

post-26492-0-21731500-1362087348.jpg

post-26492-0-71414600-1362087377.jpg

I'm in Europe. Being able to see me better means they can hit me more easily. :-)

I always assume I am invisible on a streetbike. But I will look for eye contact from a driver at an intersection. I wiggle the bike so the moving headlight will attract their attention. I'm adding red accent lighting, but that's just for show.

I don't do special gear so they can see me. At night, I'm lit up. During the day, I'm a big black thing at high speed. I'm not sure a reflective vest or such is going to help. They are in a mind set to see a car. When they don't see a car, they don't see anything. Being black is not going to make that any worse IMO.

Thanks for the encouragement.

• Member Contributer

Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I have my reservations (doubts) that your paint job is going to be very long lasting on those parts. Especially if you are planning to paint the rearsets, swingarm, and frame...I think it's just going to rub off if you wear boots and gear when you ride. Now if you wear jeans and sneakers and don't ride a whole lot, then maybe not...

Not a downer at all. I'm seeing that I like the look and then considering powder coat. The paint is well applied. Degrease, sand, heat, paint, etc. But I don't expect it to be as good as powdercoat. That'll be the next step. Thanks for the input.

I've thought about knocking out the shiny parts (started with the peeling fork legs recently) and not worried about being seen.

Just conflicted on what to do with the Staintunes (have seen others black out the heat shields on oem cans, not bad). Maybe if someone wanted to trade some Carbon Fibre cans...

post-13109-0-97001000-1362092693.jpg

post-13109-0-33778000-1362092817.jpg

• Member Contributer

bayarearider - If you had described your paint scheme to me, I would have said YUCK! However, seeing it, that looks pretty damned cool. Nice job.

• Member Contributer

There is a pic of someone with a blacked out frame in the everything photochopped thread, but I think it's a red vfr.

• Member Contributer

Not a downer at all. I'm seeing that I like the look and then considering powder coat. The paint is well applied. Degrease, sand, heat, paint, etc. But I don't expect it to be as good as powdercoat. That'll be the next step. Thanks for the input.

Yup...that's what I was thinking...powdercoating. I saw a blacked out ZX-6R that looked really good on OKC Craigslist. I also have the Asphalt black VFR, but I kinda like the aluminum bits and frame...

• Member Contributer

I've thought about knocking out the shiny parts (started with the peeling fork legs recently) and not worried about being seen.

Just conflicted on what to do with the Staintunes (have seen others black out the heat shields on oem cans, not bad). Maybe if someone wanted to trade some Carbon Fibre cans...

Dude....I'm also in the Bay Area and I have not seen that '04. Looks SHARP man!

Dude....I'm also in the Bay Area and I have not seen that '04. Looks SHARP man!

There's a widespread group of us that got in about 8 group rides in last season.

The first one this year is this Sunday, up to Ft.Bragg and there's still room...

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/73792-im-ready-for-another-ride/

Exactly what I'm talking about.

Excellent job on the mufflers and shields. I wrapped the vertical heat shield there in CF 3M wrap. Planning it for the muffler shields as well. Are you going to take the next step and get the frame and forks? Nice job on tab placement, too.

Both sets of pegs are now blacked out. That chromed heat shield over the exhaust on the right side is CF wrapped. I have no idea what possessed Honda to put chrome on that one piece and the muffler heat shields. I suppose it had to do with the heat of the exhaust, but it just doesn't go with the bike at all. I plan to black out the exhausts and wrap the heat shields next.

None noted. Someone around here did the 3m on the heat shields over the mufflers. That's where I got the idea from. They reported that a few months later, they still saw no change in the wrap.

Here she is ATM...and a shot of her big sister. :-)

post-26492-0-20207800-1362336416.jpg

post-26492-0-45282600-1362336520.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived