Forks Off Today...

2thdr

• Member Contributer

Well I finally got my act together today and got the forks off to send to Jamie Daugherty.

Bike on centerstand, jack under header pipes, frame tethered to ceiling joists with tie downs...

2013 02 10 14 25 29 585

2013 02 10 14 25 15 773

Calipers off and suspended...

2013 02 10 13 48 06 351

2013 02 10 13 47 54 561

Clip ons off...

2013 02 10 13 47 31 656

2013 02 10 13 50 12 266

Forks off and ready to be packed and shipped...

2013 02 10 14 24 53 576

Took my wheel over to Cyclegear today and they mounted up a new PP I had while I waited.

• Member Contributer

Well thanks for the compliment Jon. I'm just trying to get ready for the schooling I'm going to get at Tmac...

• Member Contributer

I had my forks done by Jamie last year. He did a great job and you'll like the results. Ernie

• Member Contributer

post-8974-0-45696100-1360574081.jpg

Wow! all that strapping down.... looks like a scene from 50 shades of grey :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Was going to say "great job and hope to finally meet you at TMac" but after Dutchy's comment (nice pic re-shade Dutchy) I think I will just go take a shower...

• Member Contributer

attachicon.gif50.jpg

Wow! all that strapping down.... looks like a scene from 50 shades of grey :goofy:

:biggrin::laugh::laughing6-hehe: :laughing6-hehe: :laughing6-hehe:

I wonder how 2thdr will feel next time he rides er... gets on top er..... swings a leg over er.... uses it ... :tour::unsure::blink::blink::blink:

• Member Contributer

I guess I need to know what "50 Shades of Gray" is...

EDIT: OK I guess Google gave me enough info to understand where the snickering is coming from. You guys must be sexually frustrated I'm guessing... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

EDIT: OK I guess Google gave me enough info to understand where the snickering is coming from. You guys must be sexually frustrated I'm guessing... :goofy:

Nah, Steve, you're just too much of a boy scout for this group.

• Member Contributer

What is he doing to them? I had mine revolved/shimmed and this made a difference, but new fork springs a week ago and am kicking myself I did not do this earlier. Wow, it feels like a different bike.

• Member Contributer

What is he doing to them? I had mine revolved/shimmed and this made a difference, but new fork springs a week ago and am kicking myself I did not do this earlier. Wow, it feels like a different bike.

Jamie suggested the following for me (170 lbs without gear, some knee dragging, sport touring with 30 lbs. of luggage).

Forks - the formula for your VFR is pretty straightforward, springs and revalve. It would include new springs, new compression valving, and new rebound shim stacks.

Shock - since you ride in a more demanding application I would suggest you consider a modified F4 shock. The shock would start as a CBR600F4 unit and then get a new spring and complete revalve. To make it work on your VFR a new upper mount would be required, which would also be included.

For your weight I would suggest 0.90kg/mm fork springs and an 1100lb/in (19.64kg/mm) spring for the rear.

• Member Contributer

I got everything packed and ready to ship out tomorrow. I am stoked and excited to see how my VFR feels with the suspension sorted out. I will need to get the static sag set correctly after getting it all back together obviously. 50k miles without any suspension service that I am aware of (purchased the bike with 24k miles on it)...even if I had just had the existing suspension serviced there would have been a difference...the new springs, valves and shock should be awesome!

I've read a couple threads on re-doing the suspension, and as I don't think there has ever been anything done, other than possibly fluid changes, I am thinking hard about getting the front and rear done.

BTW, bought the bike something like 10 months ago with 98k miles, it now has 113k miles... I probably should give it some love...

• Member Contributer

Get this book for your wife ASAP, YOU will greatly benefit from her reading it.......trust me.

Also, good job on the forks!

• Member Contributer

Adam is right, get the book. :goofy: Now the process is underway. I am getting ready myself. Let me know when you have the triples out and I will pick them up and install the bearings (a press makes a world of difference). Also, let me know if you need the sockets, I can help there too.

• Member Contributer

Adam is right, get the book. :goofy: Now the process is underway. I am getting ready myself. Let me know when you have the triples out and I will pick them up and install the bearings (a press makes a world of difference). Also, let me know if you need the sockets, I can help there too.

Hey Fred...I haven't removed the triples since I barely know what I'm doing with getting the forks off. Is there much involved and more importantly, is it difficult to get them reinstalled so that everything is lined up straight? I do have the set of All-balls tapered roller bearings on my bench.

• Member Contributer

PM me with your contact info. Since our work schedules are probably completely backwards I will try and work out the specifics with you so I can drop by and pull them for you. Once you have seen it done once it is a breeze after that.

Then you can show me how this &*))___*(&&^^ tapatalk stuff works. If it is mechanical I can do it, but this electronic crap is killing me. :mad:

• Member Contributer
PM me with your contact info. Since our work schedules are probably completely backwards I will try and work out the specifics with you so I can drop by and pull them for you. Once you have seen it done once it is a breeze after that.

Then you can show me how this &*))___*(&&^^ tapatalk stuff works. If it is mechanical I can do it, but this electronic crap is killing me. :mad:

PM sent. No problem helping with tapatalk.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

See my last post here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/74146-another-f4i-shock-6th-gen-conversion/page-3#entry886153

Overall I am very pleased. I have so little experience on other bikes. I would like to ride an newer sportbike with Showa BPF and their updated shock or maybe one with Ohlins parts and see what top of the line feels like...

thx for the pics 2thdr, at least i have some sort of an idea now where to start to pull the forks out, i tried looking at this section of forum to see if there was a DIY thread about this for us mechanically challenged noobs :( couldnt find any.

As far as i see we dont need to take the front fairings/ unit out to get the forl off right?

1. bike on center stand
  2. remove and hang calipers
  3. Hang the front end to some solid ceiling
  4. remove clip ons
  5. loosen bolt on top
  6. ??
  7. pull forks out

Is there any addition hidden bolts or other small nuances that i need to keep an eye out for?

Thx for the help in advance.

Now to find a thread about removing rear shock.

• Member Contributer

Sometimes folks get fooled by the circlips at the top of the fork tubes...they need to be removed to get the clip ons off.

A helper is very, well, helpful. Being a mechanical midget, I had expert help from member "huntinggunns". If I was attempting it on my own, I would definitely want another pair of hands.

You might choose to replace the ALOC bolts (4) that hold on the brake calipers before re-assembly. There is a thread with passionate debate about whether to replace them or not. If you do not replace, you need to coat end of threads with blue thread locker before re-torque-ing.

I had my plastics off due to doing some other work, but you can leave them on if you wish. Cover tank and plastics with towels to protect.

thx for the quick reply, i ordered my springs from racetech and after reading your thread i am worried, i am about 160 no gear and carries close to 30 lb weight in luggage and the guys at raceteck said to get the SK SPRING 7.0 x 2.25" 14.3kg SESP 702250800 which seems much lighter than what was suggested for you by JD, :(

Archived