Forks Off Today...

2thdr

• Member Contributer

thx for the pics 2thdr, at least i have some sort of an idea now where to start to pull the forks out, i tried looking at this section of forum to see if there was a DIY thread about this for us mechanically challenged noobs :( couldnt find any.

As far as i see we dont need to take the front fairings/ unit out to get the forl off right?

1. bike on center stand
  2. remove and hang calipers
  3. Hang the front end to some solid ceiling
  4. remove clip ons
  5. loosen bolt on top
  6. ??
  7. pull forks out

Is there any addition hidden bolts or other small nuances that i need to keep an eye out for?

Thx for the help in advance.

Now to find a thread about removing rear shock.

5. Loosen upper triple clamp bolt (not the steering head bolt)

6. Loosen bottom triple clamp bolt

7. Remove front fender

8. pull forks out.

Rear shock is a little tricky as the swing arm and linkage are involved but having a center stand is really helpful. You'll want to remove the rear wheel or you'll have a heck of time with it!

• Member Contributer

thx for the quick reply, i ordered my springs from racetech and after reading your thread i am worried, i am about 160 no gear and carries close to 30 lb weight in luggage and the guys at raceteck said to get the SK SPRING 7.0 x 2.25" 14.3kg SESP 702250800 which seems much lighter than what was suggested for you by JD, :(

PM member Baileyrock with this infor and see what he says...also Jamie Daugherty. You can order parts direct from JD you know...you don't have to let him do the labor. You might think about returning the Racetech parts...JD is there for you after the sale too.

Rear shock is a little tricky as the swing arm and linkage are involved but having a center stand is really helpful. You'll want to remove the rear wheel or you'll have a heck of time with it!

Wish some one took pics of the process

As far as i understand,

center stand

support rear with hooks to roof

take wheel off

unbolt the two end from under the bike itself, or do i have to take seat/ battery etc off and unbolt from top?

PM member Baileyrock with this infor and see what he says...also Jamie Daugherty. You can order parts direct from JD you know...you don't have to let him do the labor. You might think about returning the Racetech parts...JD is there for you after the sale too.

I contacted Jamie, hell of a guy. he is stuck with work till few more weeks and i wanted to get these done asap for a gap trip in 2 weeks time. even though i was not getting the product from him he answered all doubts

Then i went to racetech, called there tech guy who suggested these fork .95 and rear of 14.3, went ahead and ordered every thing with 2 day shipping. and yesterday i get free time to go throu all the threads here and realize i am way off on the rates :( dang

• Member Contributer

As far as i understand,

center stand

take wheel off

unbolt the two end from under the bike itself, or do i have to take seat/ battery etc off and unbolt from top?

I probably should have took some pics but I didn't, I figure this was already covered by now. On the 6 Gen you'll need to remove the seat to get at the top shock bolt and stabilizing the rear from above is a good idea, if not chocking the front wheel. What I recall is that I removed the top shock bolt, the bottom shock bolt and rear linkage bolt, raised the swing arm a little and wiggled the shock out. If I also recall correctly, I did have to raise/lower the swing arm to finagle the shock out of there. Having a jack stand or a helper to move/hold the swing arm is helpful, I did it solo.

• Member Contributer

As far as i understand,

center stand

take wheel off

I probably should have took some pics but I didn't, I figure this was already covered by now. On the 6 Gen you'll need to remove the seat to get at the top shock bolt and stabilizing the rear from above is a good idea, if not chocking the front wheel. What I recall is that I removed the top shock bolt, the bottom shock bolt and rear linkage bolt, raised the swing arm a little and wiggled the shock out. If I also recall correctly, I did have to raise/lower the swing arm to finagle the shock out of there. Having a jack stand or a helper to move/hold the swing arm is helpful, I did it solo.

On my 6th gen we had to remove tank pivot bolt and move tank forward to access top mounting bolt for shock...also removed dogbone and triangles...still a tight fit to wriggle it in

• Member Contributer

On my 6th gen we had to remove tank pivot bolt and move tank forward to access top mounting bolt for shock...

Figured there was something I forgot, that's what happens when you don't take pictures! Then again, I hope this isn't a sign of getting older...

Archived