Why Do I Have Red Rear Blinkers?

• Member Contributer

It was a common mod to change from amber to red. I guess that completes the Sylon look (remember those baddy's from Battlestar Galactica?). I have it too thanks to the PO.

I'm thinking about doing a faux round tail lights and blinkers with Plastidip to see if I like it, tthen figuring out a more permanent solution.

• Member Contributer

Didn't the 3rd GENs have the turn signals on stalks mounted lower on the fender? I thought the reason the 4th GENs are yellow is that they did away with the separate stalks and the DOT regs say "rear turn signals SHALL BE YELLOW". I know it was common to put the dual filament bulb (1157) sockets in where the single filament ones were and replace the yellow lenses with the red ones from a 3rd GEN.

The 3rd gens originally had the turn signals (amber) separately mounted, attached to the sides of the mudguard that mounted the license plate, just like the other CBR's of the time. The turn signals you are referring to (red, next to the taillight) were dummy's in the US models, but I believe functional in other countries. (Site me on that) Just about every owner ditched the original turn signals, because you could literally twist off the bulb holder in the original signal, and twist it into the red lens next to the taillight.

The 4th gen got this mod from the factory, but to be DOT compliant, the were amber.

See below, 14 & 17 are the original amber, 12 & 13 are the red dummy lights everyone switched the bulb holder to.

MT44F2500A.gif

Ah, that explains it. :fing02:

The turn signals you are referring to (red, next to the taillight) were dummy's in the US models, but I believe functional in other countries. (Site me on that)
Correct. Here they have always been amber coloured, and functional.

• Member Contributer

As said above. Back in 1993 I even went to the trouble of sourcing UK-spec rear turn sigs from a UK wrecking yard (in the pre-Internet days, this was a major pain!)...only for the US-spec 4th gens to come out the next year with OEM amber lenses that slotted directly into the 3rd-gen plastic!

Ciao,

As said above. Back in 1993 I even went to the trouble of sourcing UK-spec rear turn sigs from a UK wrecking yard (in the pre-Internet days, this was a major pain!)...only for the US-spec 4th gens to come out the next year with OEM amber lenses that slotted directly into the 3rd-gen plastic!

Ciao,

Ah, the days when AOL and Compuserve disks flooded mailboxes across the land. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

Ah, the days when AOL and Compuserve disks flooded mailboxes across the land. :laugh:

I'd forgotten about that...but yes, I was on Compuserve at the time (and on the late, great Ride Forum run by the late, great Dave Moore), and met many wonderful people there (I even stole my "Ralph Mouse" avatar from someone on that forum!)

But, I digress... :tongue:

Ciao,

• 5 months later...

No. The complete answer is in post #9

:laugh: across the whole western world as I remember getting those (compuserve) at least once a month and they came with about every (tech) magazine.

No. The complete answer is in post #9

:laugh: across the whole western world as I remember getting those (compuserve) at least once a month and they came with about every (tech) magazine.

Aol_subscribers_Q201-Q407.png

Archived