zip tie mod

Guest nemuro

Question

Guest nemuro

Anyone did a zip tie mod on a fifth gen?

The mod gives a quicker acceleration response as it will reduce how much you have to twist to achieve wide open throttle.

Thinking of doing this mod as with the standard handlebar height, it is hard and uncomfortable to achieve wot.

I like the idea, but I dont see how to secure that tie in there safely, who's going to try it first!? I couldn't even get the covers off of mine when I tried to clean the starter switch!

• Member Contributer

They actually sell complete throttles with the changes to the throttle "cam" shape. I wish I could recall who makes/sells it but they are available and you don't have to worry about a zip tie getting jammed up. Personally I would go with an "off-the-shelf" solution instead of the do-it-yourself version. Would you modify or make your own brake pads?

• Member Contributer

They actually sell complete throttles with the changes to the throttle "cam" shape. I wish I could recall who makes/sells it but they are available and you don't have to worry about a zip tie getting jammed up. Personally I would go with an "off-the-shelf" solution instead of the do-it-yourself version. Would you modify or make your own brake pads?

G2 Throttle Tamer - I love mine.

• Member Contributer

I'm interested in this. Don't know why a 98 would be excluded. Throttle tubes are fairly standard. I'd love to shorten the twist of my VFRs throttle

• Member Contributer

could be due to the amount of play... at this point i have only 1 mm play at the first setting...no room to slack any further...so adding a larger diameter will take that slack away... ...my theory could be wrong.

only way to do it is to borrow one and check

So I looked for the P/N specifically for the 2002 800 throttle tube (with grip):

53140-MCF-000 superceded to 53140-MCF-305

Same item for the 1998 VFR800:

53140-MAT-000 superceded to 53140-MCF-305

So I don't see any reason it wouldn't fit all 800's from 1998 to 2009.

Update: fitted the throttle tamer and it works, despite not showing the '98-'99 VFR800 on the package.

I did have to mod the delrin sliders inside the throttle tube. I went to slip it on, and it was super tight going on, and would hardly rotate.

I measured the I.D. of my OEM plastic throttle, and then the G2 unit, and it was indeed about 0.1-0.2 MM smaller.

Now maybe my OEM throttle tube is worn inside from 80,000Km of riding, and also, my Ducati 900SS Helibars have been powdercoated, so that may explain it.

So what I did was to take some 180 grit sandpaper, fold it up small so it would fit inside the tube with room for a digit, and sand away slowly until it fit without binding.

I had to do that to both ends where the Delrin bushings are.

I haven't ridden the bike yet, it's cold and dark now, but I worked the throttle back and forth several times in the garage, and it operates smoothly throughout it's rotation.

Cannot tell the difference from OEM, but of course, that will come when it's out on the road. We shall see.

• Member Contributer

For $15 through your local Honda dealer you can order an RC45 throttle tube. The part number that I've used is 53140-MR7-000. Most Honda throttle tubes are universal. Using this tube will net you about 1/4 turn action. I don't particularly care for it on the street, but that's just personal preference.

• Member Contributer

It works with the '98. I have one. Called them first and they confirmed.

i checked too they said no. hope they do work. I have the ST1100 cables which has very little slack so not too sure if i can use them.

thanks Anik

• Member Contributer

Looking into this, on off low speed snatch blows. Instead of the sandpaper thinking my small master cylinder caliper piston would be nice if the stones are abrasive enough no?

the hot setup for GSXR was to use an r1 or r6 throttle tube. like 8 bucks from Yamaha.

As JD suggested the RC 45 tube might be the Honda trick .

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

I haven't ridden the bike yet, it's cold and dark now, but I worked the throttle back and forth several times in the garage, and it operates smoothly throughout it's rotation.

Cannot tell the difference from OEM, but of course, that will come when it's out on the road. We shall see.

Any feedback on this product?

Any feedback on this product?

It's real shiny?

Maybe, if we didn't get a foot of fresh powder two weeks ago. And then of course, I have to work all this week, 12hrs/day. AND the DMV refuses to register my bike (this year) because their computer says its a 1999 while my insurance says 2010. Their fault not mine. Funny, they had no issues with it the past two years.

But I have my paperwork, and will present it to the DMV (department most vapid) on Tuesday. Should be able to ride then. If it ain't snowing that is.

Archived