How long can gas sit and still be good?

landlover

• Member Contributer

Hi, have an 07 VFR that has not been started since November 2011, plan to get it going again in the next three weeks. Granted, regardless of what is said on here will try to see if it will run but was curious what you people think, how long is gas good for?

• Member Contributer

I have never had gas in my tank over a month but I've had gas sit in a lawn mower and a snow blower for about six months each on multiple occassions and they both fired right up and ran fine. (two cycle snow blower with oil mixed in, unleaded gas in the mower)

• Member Contributer

I have never had gas in my tank over a month but I've had gas sit in a lawn mower and a snow blower for about six months each on multiple occassions and they both fired right up and ran fine. (two cycle snow blower with oil mixed in, unleaded gas in the mower)

I've let the mower sit with gas in it over the winter once or twice. It didn't want to start at first, but I added some fresh gas to the old and it fired right up.

• Member Contributer

I've had bikes gassed up for months (NMB, Guzzi, Redslut( with no problem whatsoever.

Mayby Dutch gas differs from US recipes???

You can always try some banaple gas.............. :tongue:

If it is stored in a relatively cool place, and the tank is full, the odds are better.

However, the greater worry is that the injectors are gummed up.

7 months may not do it, but there's only one way to tell.

Might not be a bad idea to dump a small bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank, then fire her up and take a good long ride. Put some fresh fuel in it as soon as possible.

I know it's too late for you now, but I always put Sta-Bil in everything that sits for the off season, bike, snowblower, lawnmower, etc.

• Member Contributer

todays gas can go bad in as little as a month.

+1..............it may run fine but old gas will cause damage. If one of my bikes is going to sit for more than 2 - 3 weeks, I put Stabil in it.

I think your fine just throw in an appropriate amount of your injector cleaner of choice, then get her going.

While deployed I used to unhook my battery and fill tank with stabil and I would have no issues a year later when I came back.

I will be using gas tteatment (not a big stabil fan) while I am in Europe for 3 weeks. To date the longest I have gone without riding my bike us 14 days (also in Europe). I can't tell you how many bad-gas carb jobs I have done in my life. It is nearing 4 digits.

• Member Contributer

Fuel injection systems can handle sitting better than carbs since there's less fuel in the actual system to gum things up, but yeah today's ethanol mix fuels go bad in as little as a month. If it were me I'd drain as much fuel out as I could, and add some cleaner to the fresh fuel. It's better than cleaning carbs. For carbed bikes that sit it's best to drain all the fuel.

I agree ethonol fuels have destroyed fuel longevity, but Ihad a lawnmower that I put in storage over 2 years filled it up for storage, with regular no ethonal gas with Klots octane boost fuel stabilzer, and it fired First Pull after more than 2 years. I was totally amased.

But entonal fuels even with stabil I have seen alot of trouble after several months

BTW any fuel stabilozer that comes in a plastic bottle arent as strong if they require a Metal can, Metal can tends to be required for the strongest chemicals

The 70's were even weirder than I remember, ROTFLMAO. :laughing6-hehe:

You can always try some banaple gas.............. :tongue:

A riding friend typically puts his bike away in October for the winter, and gets it out in April. Does nothing but connect the bike to a battery tender. It fires up immediately in April. I think the cool, dry, thin air helps. As for your location in Cincinnati, would be curious to hear back what happened when you tried starting the bike.

• Member Contributer

What I was told and/or read with regard to storage:

• Bikes with a steel tank: add fuel stabilizer, ride for a while to get it throughout the system, fill tank to the top (prevents condensation and corrosion).
  • Bikes with plastic tank: add fuel stabilizer, ride for a while to get it throughout the system, drain tank as completely as possible, and drain carb (if so equipped).

Using this approach, I've had no issue with leaving my bikes for months during the long Canadian winter. So far, the VFR has fired up and worked perfectly each time. The DR (plastic tank and carb), sometimes splutters a bit on the very first ride of the year (air in the system somewhere?) then runs fine.

Most regular gas in these parts has some ethanol in it (5-10 percent), but it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue as many report in parts of the U.S.

• Member Contributer

A riding friend typically puts his bike away in October for the winter, and gets it out in April. Does nothing but connect the bike to a battery tender. It fires up immediately in April. I think the cool, dry, thin air helps. As for your location in Cincinnati, would be curious to hear back what happened when you tried starting the bike.

Will let you know.

• 1 year later...

Archived