Gun lube used as chain lube?

GadiantonRob

Greetings from flat, boring, slow, straight-roaded Delaware.

Put about 1.5k miles on the bike now--and she's running great!

Pic for proof...

2012-04-10143151.jpg

Now, I have been using this as chain lube:

RemOil.jpg

Did some digging, and bicyclists use it on their chains sometimes, but no one likes bicyclists and I don't trust 'em.

Here is what the description says:

"Remington's Rem Oil is the most versatile gun oil you can buy. Advanced formula with Teflon cleans, lubricates and protects your valuable firearms so they'll keep running smoothly and looking like new. Penetrates into the smallest metal pores, then leaves a tough, long-lasting film to help reduce metal-to-metal wear. Quickly displaces even microscopic traces of water for advanced moisture resistance and rust protection."

Paraphrasing, of course.

So I wanna see what you guys think. Yes? No? Maybe so?

It's a DID chain, btw.

I have come to find that the most important properties of chain lube are that: they don't fling off, they don't trash the o-rings, x-rings, etc, and that they provide a decent coating on the chain that will last 500 miles even through some light rain/moisture so the chain dosen't immediately rust. I say if you're chain is staying in good shape, and you're bike's not covered in crud from the lube or from the dirt the lube attratcts and grabs, carry on!!

There's nothing wrong with using any oil on the chain, I use "Gunzilla" to lube at times, but I feel that the speed the chain travels requires a non-fling component. Which Gunzilla has.

I have been using Maxima Racing Lubricants "ChainWax" chain lube. Sticks like baby poo to a blanket, has parafin wax in the formula and provided you follow simple directions, like #1 warm up the chain with a quikie ride, shake the can well - apply and let it sit for 10 or so minutes, and no fling off.

Up in the north ChainWax sells at around $10 bucks a can @ 13.5 oz.

I think that any quality tacky lube will work, and work well if the chain is warmed up and clean before applying it. Got over 13k km on the O ring chain on the KLR in mud and sand gravel and slab, and its still healthy.

• Member Contributer

Rem Oil is about as good a chain lube as WD-40 is. Which is to say, it's crap. Great light gun oil though.

-Jake

I use that stuff too, and its great, but it would be much better to clean your chain with. As far as I'm concerned it qualifies more as a petroleum solvent rather than a lubricant, even though it may have some lubricating properties. Every so often I like to pull the master link and take the chain off to clean it thoroughly, after that I let it soak in a bucket of motor oil for 24 hrs. With O-Ring chains, you're lubing it mostly to keep it from rusting as the rollers are sealed. Plus I don't run a chain guard so it gets messy if I'm sloppy with the lube.

I have been very pleased with this product. No fling, seems to work Great. I think I paid 6-7 dollars for it at Wal mart. I'm on my second can.

DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver - 10 oz. Aerosol

DUPONT-CS0110101_300__67842_zoom.jpg

• Member Contributer

I was gonna say something nice but then I read your bicyclist comment (w/o a smiley).

• Member Contributer

With all the stuff on the market made specifically for motorcycle chains, why futz around with whatever gun lubricant you have lying around?

Heck, I buy Olive oil in big bottles at Costco - it's cheap and biodegradable. Would that work? :goofy:

Eh, this chain is on its last leg, really. It will be replaced this winter, if not this summer. I'll keep using it for now until my new chain, and I'll probably use that Dupont stuff--looks savvy.

I was gonna say something nice but then I read your bicyclist comment (w/o a smiley).

"As a motorist I hate pedestrians. As a pedestrian I hate motorists. But no matter the mode of transporation, I always hate bicyclists." :tongue: Just messin with ya.

• Member Contributer

Too bad for you, my niece who is an avid cyclist was intrigued by your name, hoping you could paint her bike red....

Och well, she will look further afield now.......

fiets.jpg

:tongue:

• Member Contributer

Too bad for you, my niece who is an avid cyclist was intrigued by your name, hoping you could paint her bike red....

fiets.jpg

Now see, there is a perfect example of levers being adjusted properly for the best wrist alignment. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I have been very pleased with this product. No fling, seems to work Great. I think I paid 6-7 dollars for it at Wal mart. I'm on my second can.

+1

I've been using this with good success. Works great for lubing throttle cables too... and just about everything else around the house! No more squeaky hinges around here!

• Member Contributer

fiets.jpg

So . . . what kind of lube does she use? :biggrin:

If this is a picture of your neice, your Sick taking pictures like this. Id atleast say it was not a relative.

Although I know some Red Necks who are proud of their Chit, thats how Inbreeding started I believe . <G

fiets.jpg

• Member Contributer

Howdy!

DUPONT-CS0110101_300__67842_zoom.jpg

This is what I like, the Remy stuff, is not even fit for firearms. It is alright for knives, or bicycle chains.

Mac

• Member Contributer

Using a Scotoiler myself, but the "S100 White" is the leader of the pack in bike magazine tests....

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/69354-opinions-needed-on-brake-pads-and-chain-lube/#entry810482

Archived