4th Gen Project - VFR750RR

• Member Contributer

Does anyone have any experience to share with painting the aluminum frame and fork lowers? I am looking to go satin black with everything to look similar to the Ducati Monster by Diesel that appears earlier in the thread.

I am thinking of using VHT roll bar and chassis paint as it seems durable and comes in satin black... any thoughts?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

It will soon chip and show the flecks of ally thru sooner... yuk.

look at flyguyeddy's pic of that head half a page up here for example....thats what your forks will look like.

How will this black paint stand up to brake fluid and cleaner?

I use aluminum wheel spray now- says on the can 'protects against stonechip'. Use it for everything now. They might do a black?

Powder coat might last longer if your set - black on ally. Think that's factory from Honda on there black bottomed upside down forks on the 954/929 blade for example.

Does anyone have any experience to share with painting the aluminum frame and fork lowers? I am looking to go satin black with everything to look similar to the Ducati Monster by Diesel that appears earlier in the thread.

I am thinking of using VHT roll bar and chassis paint as it seems durable and comes in satin black... any thoughts?

I used high temp BBQ paint on my frame and swingarm. Since the frame gets relatively warm, it help cure the paint. It seems fairly durable, as any gas that I've spilled on it hasn't seemd to ruin it, although I still try to wipe up any residue immediately.

• Member Contributer

So I'm thinking about doing some powder coating myself. I want a lot of the pieces on this bike to be satin black and it seems that there isn't a good paint solution to paint aluminum parts so they won't chip. I just don't want to spend hundreds if not a thousand bucks on powder coating.

I'm looking at getting an old double oven to bake my parts in and then probably getting the HF powder kit. So my cost should be pretty low.

Has anyone done powder coating at home? I know surface prep is key to getting the powder to stick.

Thought? Experience?

• Member Contributer

yes all possible, look at thread mentioned above. Still quite a job to get set up.

Your local powder coat man should have no problems running thru a few parts in their oven. Black is easy enough.

Its not expensive unless they are thinking your a pain or loaded.

Its one of my old jobs, powder coating storage racking, often we ran thru this and that as favors.

The exchange of money would go straight into the painters pocket!

There is usually some black lying around in the storage and the ovens are always on.. A brake time job, not expensive if you have the gift of the gab.

Powder will stick to anything, because its a coating, and all one piece once its been flowed. Surface prep is the key to a smooth glossy finish, most stuff thats gonna get powdercoated gets sand/media blasted, because anything under the powdercoat will show up on the surface.

Seems like glass bead is the best media to use on aluminum parts... Is that right?

thats what i use all the time at work. very little deformation of the parts, but i never beadblast dimensionally critical parts, I.D. or O.D., sealing/mating surfaces, etc.

i only shoot the cosmetic surfaces, etc.

• Member Contributer

Hayabusa. Reference the "4th gen cop" thread in modifications.

gotcha... I picked these up. They are from a GSXR 600/750. I haven't tried them in the vfr motor yet, so we shall see how they fit.

So these will rid the VFR of the external coils? What connectors fit?

Thanks

Chris

Italian Stallion build

6872470692_3f7dc1c985.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hayabusa. Reference the "4th gen cop" thread in modifications.

gotcha... I picked these up. They are from a GSXR 600/750. I haven't tried them in the vfr motor yet, so we shall see how they fit.

So these will rid the VFR of the external coils? What connectors fit?

Thanks

Chris

Italian Stallion build

6872470692_3f7dc1c985.jpg

In theory... We are still waiting for a full guinea pig test. Check out the fourth gen and fifth gen coil on plug discussions.

Connectors would be for a GSXR

• Member Contributer

yes, fan is history! Unless these COPs dont work and i have to resort to standard coils. fan may be reinstalled, but unlikely, it weights a ton and is hardly ever needed, less so in bikes new guise. Removal only recommended if you know what to look out for.

• Member Contributer

Thats sexy. I bet the clearance would be even better with a tl1000r curved radiator in the place of the vfr. As soon as i get one ill hafta mock one up.

There's a pretty good motorcycle parts/salvage place around me. I keep telling myself I'm going to wander down there with a notepad and a tape measure and see if I can find anything good and interesting for the VFRs.

• Member Contributer

I'd love to put a skinnier rad on my fighter. I just don't like how the vfr rad sticks so far out the sides. I was thinking of using a rad off a small cruiser like the Shadow 600 or something. I guess the Magna 750 might be a good choice too.

• Member Contributer

I could probably do something with some RC stuff. Those motors weigh nothing, are pretty skinny, and can spin plenty fast. Just need a way to limit current to a set point, and hook it into the existing fan switch.

• Member Contributer

Magna radiator is about the same size as the vfr. They might even be the same part.

VFR Rad:

MT44F3100C.png

Magna Rad:

MZ54F3100A.png

Looks smaller to me... i have no hands on experience, however.

20094.JPG

Archived