4th Gen Project - VFR750RR

I've not had it on a track, but when I ride, I really ride. Compared to a lot of people, I torture by bike, and I live in the mountanis so its been through tons of hard cornering, braking, wheelies, full throttle launches. I've never had it act like it was starving for fuel except on occasion when I run it dry. And when its out, thers nothing left in the tank. The pressure differential inside the carb can act like a siphon and keep drawing fuel as long as theres no restriction on the flow.

I recently worked on a 67 Buick special, and it had been running and driving for years, until the fuel filter got changed, couldn't figure out why it wouldn't run.. Well it turned out someone bypassed the mechanical fuel pump on the block and had it coming straight from the tank. Which is onviously lower than the carb atop the v8. It was just apparently full in the line when it got hooked up and kept pulling it up as needed. But once the line was empty the carb vacuum wasn't strong enough to pull it back out from the tank.

So even though the petcock is close to carb level, it gets a great feed. One thing probably worth mentioning is that I don't run a fuel filter, and that helps it flow freely. I've heard of some guys running with no pump and a filter, but theres no telling how hard they were pushed.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Has anyone done anything like this on here before? I did a search and went through about 8 pages of search results with no luck.

a few times.

first here with a 3rd gen, using just carbon sheet and a few led's. Was not the best, but ran well and was cheap.

post-5025-0-04879000-1332628570.jpg

Then was the 4th gen which was the best look. Using CBR fireblade clocks.

post-5025-0-97475200-1332628725.jpg

Have now trimmed the speedo similar to the HRC RC30 manual, which gives a better factory finish.

not sure what to do about idiot lights yet....will see. There are actually three round spaces i could drill into and mount a light in each. They mount the foam. Visible in pic there.

Could only really use a green neutral, a red oil pressure and a reserve fuel lamp.

You really need to do up a thread on your bike KGS, one of my favorites on here.

cheers,

will see how my net connections go and how soon i can find time to put bike 2gether...

am 2 busy robbing everyone elses ideas at the moment.. haha

Just fyi, i looked at my buddies magna and the cable mount bolts to the block right where our frame bolts to the engine. With a little engineering one could just make one to go on the outside of our frame and be just fine.

So... I have been hunting for a decent gauge set that will work well with most of the factory wiring and isn't ginormous since I'll be running this with no fairings.

The CBR600F4i dash goes onto the VFR pretty easily.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SKUR-Honda-CBR600-F4-F4i-01-06-Carbon-Fiber-Gauge-Instrument-Cover-24-S-/380423775244?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item589306240c

• Member Contributer

Bump for updates on your build!

Haven't done much on the VFR lately. The gasket kit I ordered came and was marked for the VFR750F but it was just wrong... The gaskets were for some V-four but not the VFR... A least not a 4th gen.

So, now I need to find a gasket set that does fit and see if I have money to cover it while I am waiting for the refund to process back to my PayPal account.

Sorry there isn't more cool stuff to talk about.

So... I have been hunting for a decent gauge set that will work well with most of the factory wiring and isn't ginormous since I'll be running this with no fairings.

The CBR600F4i dash goes onto the VFR pretty easily.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SKUR-Honda-CBR600-F4-F4i-01-06-Carbon-Fiber-Gauge-Instrument-Cover-24-S-/380423775244?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item589306240c

But you have to buy an expensive speedo healer for it.

Can the O.P. please post a picture of the area right behind the radiator on his bike? I'd like to see what kind of room there is behind that between the head and valve cover.

• Member Contributer

Can the O.P. please post a picture of the area right behind the radiator on his bike? I'd like to see what kind of room there is behind that between the head and valve cover.

Mine is completely disassembled right now... maybe somebody else? IIRC there isn't much space between the fan and cylinder cover.

one thing you should note is that i have removed a large plastic shroud cover thing between the air box and radiator. this is a third gen, but i can't imagine that there would be any real differences from the forth gen.

IMG_3003.jpg

IMG_2999.jpgIMG_2998.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hayabusa. Reference the "4th gen cop" thread in modifications.

gotcha... I picked these up. They are from a GSXR 600/750. I haven't tried them in the vfr motor yet, so we shall see how they fit.

6872470692_3f7dc1c985.jpg

Archived