4th Gen Project - VFR750RR

• Member Contributer

Update time!!! Over the weekend I found time to get the carbs and the heads off.

6831900170_6a5dfedf87.jpg

it Is absolutely amazing to me just how cool the motors are on the inside. It's also amazing that this motor has close to 70,000 miles on it and it is showing zero signs of wear. I have yet to check the valve clearance but the gears are still sharp and perfect... I'm in awe. A true testament to just how bulletproof these VFRs are.

6978034941_856e4339ee.jpg

6831904980_0a5f4f9112.jpg

6978029553_56c4521723.jpg

I may mor may not have forgotten which way to turn bolts to loosen them during the removal process... Righty loosey right? These little bolt removers from lowes, along with a carbide tipped masonry bit made very short work of getting the broken, grade 10 bolts out.

6831916392_397e518ee9.jpg

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I'm thinking about throwing a coat of paint on the motor before starting to reassemble everything. I am probably going to go either cast aluminum silver or a nice black. Dupli-Color has an engine paint with ceramic in it and VHT has multiple engine enamel choices as well.

Who has painted their V-Four? What was the result and how did it last?

I painted mine with engine paint silver but i havnt ran it so its not been baked on. Ill probably soda blast it and repaint it with a two part epoxy based paint. The valve covers i painted black got all flakey and looked like ass.

• Member Contributer

I've ordered a VF750C oil pump to try and bypass and block off the oil cooler. Has anyone tried this mod before? Or am I blazing a trail here?

7001780019_a25d0468bc.jpg

I havnt installed it but it will work fine. Just block off the external cooler ports and leave out the little tubes that go to them. Vf750c and vfr = same engine block (casting and some machining at least), same oil pan, same pickup tube, same oil feed tube, same water pump, ect. You could theoreticlly use the vf750c sprocket cover and pushrod for a cable clutch conversion (but you lose the speedo pickup).

You could theoreticlly use the vf750c sprocket cover and pushrod for a cable clutch conversion (but you lose the speedo pickup).

This sounds interesting!! Can you post a pic of the VF750c item up please?

• Member Contributer
You could theoreticlly use the vf750c sprocket cover and pushrod for a cable clutch conversion (but you lose the speedo pickup).

This sounds interesting!! Can you post a pic of the VF750c item up please?

Oooooh! +1 to that!

No they are cable. But the vf cover is all chrome and stupid looking. If someone were to dechrone it and possibly trim it down a bit it might look better on a vfr. Plus the cable holder bolts to either the block mount or the head i cant remember. But i think it has to be in between the engine and the frame. Ill hafta look at my buddys bike again to be sure.

Here's a 1995 VF750C sprocket cover that shows the cable attachment point, and looking at the pics of the inside of it, it would indeed be close to a bolt-on, you might even be able to add a hole to incorporate the speedo drive unit. Definitely worth further investigation.

http://www.ebay.com....=item53e75f4a39

Apologies to OP for thread hijack!

298.jpg

302.jpg

When I first read about cable clutch conversions (done by Durbahn in Germany) I thought the same thing - the reason is that a cable clutch gives vastly superior feel over a hydraulic clutch. In addition you lose the extra weight of the hydraulic bits.

Durbahn's conversion kit for VFRs is beautifully made, but quite expensive.

• Member Contributer

How about a simple trim of what you have already?...

I prefer the reliability of the current hydraulic set up.

post-5025-0-59781900-1332607562.jpg

Here is a magnesium RC item fitted to a 4th gen-

Our 3/4th gens ones are basically the same, trim away - if you dont need your speedo drive obviously.

GPS from a mobile for a speedo works well if the bike goes on the public roads.

With only revs and oil temp on dash a mobile sits fine with Velcro on dash (thanks to NASA lol)

But its never on, no upper speed limits here.

Preferred over any magnet/wheel set up ive ever used - which has never really worked anyway.

The water pump will be history soon ......electric replacement ordered.

• Member Contributer

Pump right now. standard tank. Its the white elephant.

With RC tanks costing the price of a small country. not too fussed... Am not trying to build an rc copy... no ty. More about using wot we got first.

New battery weights the same as the pump/filter give or take 30g so be nice to get rid. But thats coupled with tank at the moment.

Would drilling a breather hole in top of tank work for gravity fed? might consider chucking pump then..but i guess there may be tap or carb flooding issues?

• Member Contributer

I've been running gravity feed with the factory unmodified tank for some time. Fuel pump on these bikes is useless, just one more thing to fail.

Have you run your bike at the track? Just wondering if its an issue under hard cornering/braking etc. I'm pretty sure the tank is vented already, so I don't think an additional breather is necessary. I can't imagine there being a flooding issue whilst the bike is running with gravity feed. I know there have been issues with NC30 taps leaking when the bike has been sitting causing flooding and eventually engine damage(from fuel filling up the sump), don't know if that would be an issue with the 750 tap though.

• Member Contributer

So... I have been hunting for a decent gauge set that will work well with most of the factory wiring and isn't ginormous since I'll be running this with no fairings. It seems I have two choices:

The Trail Tech Vapor, which I'm not really a fan of...

7011828855_e1db85292b.jpg

Or there's the Koso gauges which I like but are pricey...

7011828611_7cb28515b7.jpg

So, I am thinking of ripping apart one of the gauge sets I currently have from the VFR and reorganizing them into a nice compact little set that will definitely work with the factory wiring.

6865744490_260eccec24.jpg

Here's the layout I think I'm going to go with.

7011811517_cc325cd9cd.jpg

it's much more compact that the stock gauges.

7011810949_43f430c81e.jpg

I do think I will make a much smaller version for the fuel and temp gauge as well and figure out a nice spot to mount them as well.

Has anyone done anything like this on here before? I did a search and went through about 8 pages of search results with no luck.

• Member Contributer
I've been running gravity feed with the factory unmodified tank for some time. Fuel pump on these bikes is useless, just one more thing to fail.

Thats promising.. might have to take u up on it....

Remember my spanner telling me the pump was just for safety shut off in the event of something happening, that was some years ago?

But then remember a thread here was mentioning fuel pressure and scavenging fuel from tank when low?? Handy also?

Have similar questions about extreme braking on track etc? Will be right back on that power and want good fuel availability?

Bike in rebuild mode now with a new rear ally sub frame .. the rear is not plumbed in yet as im to finish a carbon nose fit.

Dont want to change pump and COPs at same time... Unless am gonna stick me neck out...

Na just decided, pump first test- with normal coils

COPs maybe after..they are here and ready once basics are plumb.

• Member Contributer

Thats promising.. might have to take u up on it....

Remember my spanner telling me the pump was just for safety shut off in the event of something happening, that was some years ago?

But then remember a thread here was mentioning fuel pressure and scavenging fuel from tank when low?? Handy also?

Have similar questions about extreme braking on track etc? Will be right back on that power and want good fuel availability?

Bike in rebuild mode now with a new rear ally sub frame .. the rear is not plumbed in yet as im to finish a carbon nose fit.

Dont want to change pump and COPs at same time... Unless am gonna stick me neck out...

Na just decided, pump first test- with normal coils

COPs maybe after..they are here and ready once basics are plumb.

You really need to do up a thread on your bike KGS, one of my favorites on here.

Archived