Has anyone fixed the grabby clutch for sure?

thenewwazoo

I've done some reading, and it appears that I'm not alone in suffering from the awful >3500 RPM clutch grab/cough.

Has anyone permanently fixed it? How did you do so? I'm contemplating a complete Barnett clutch kit soon as I just can't live with it - I'm afraid I'm going to get asspacked by a cager some day pulling too slowly off a light!

• Member Contributer

I had a grabby clutch, which was fixed by replacing the clutch plates and springs. However that was on my old motor and the new (35,000km) motor I've got in it now also has the dreaded grabby clutch. Grrr.

• Member Contributer

I know what you mean... I'm hoping a new chain, bleed, possibly new cush's and a 45T will help before I contemplate the clutch.

Sometimes I hurt it :sad:

• Member Contributer

My '00 used to be the same way and I thought the same, it was time for a new clutch.

Best place to start is to clean the slave cylinder. That's where my problem was.

Remove, dissassemble, clean thoroughly, reassemble - preferrably with brake grease, bleed.

Now mine is smooth as butter.

It's cheap and not hard to do.

11 years and 80,000 km and I've never had an issue?

I changed the clutch a couple thousand K's ago, just because I would have the cover off, and doing the clear cover mod, and the clutch still works fine.

I haven't heard of this either, although, I have a 4th Gen. Luckily I don't have to worry about the dreaded clutch grab... Just electrical fires. :tongue:

• Member Contributer

I too am unfamiliar. I'm at over 72,000 on my '99 and never had an issue... (Never even removed the clutch cover)

I keep my lever pivots greased, my hydraulic cylinders clean, and my fluid clear (Not brown!). Just switched over to an SP1 clutch master with my front end rebuild, and it's even better than the stock VFR was.

Cheapest thing to try is flushing the fluid, maybe even pull the slave cylinder and clean the bore and seal, make sure the pushrod is clean and straight. Take off the lever and clean the pivot and where the lever pushes the master cylinder and lightly grease them.

Glad to hear that some people haven't had it, but I do... and if you've ever had it, you'll know that it's not a question of maintenance. But thanks for the input.

kaldek, did you use factory Honda parts or aftermarket?

• Member Contributer

I Googled this since I still wasn't sure what the problem was. My search turned up this thread which defines and address the issue. Short story is to remove your clutch rod and clean it. I'd be interested to see if this solves your problem.

-Jake

I can't find it at the moment, but there's a thread either here or on VFRW discussing it. I'm going to try cleaning the clutch rod, but that thread has several people who report no change. I'm looking for input on someone who's actually fixed it, and what they did... not many people came back into the other threads and reported results.

Changing my frictions and springs (bought an EBC kit on Ebay) fixed the sub 3500rpm grabbiness, but some of the steels were visibly burned or discolored, so I should have replaced them too. I found Barnett steels for $56 shipped on Amazon and they should be here in a day or two.

Doing a clutch job is cheap and easy--if you have some Allens to take off the fairing, an 8mm and a 10mm socket, and the basic understanding of how to use them, you can replace the clutch in under an hour.

I Googled this since I still wasn't sure what the problem was. My search turned up this thread which defines and address the issue. Short story is to remove your clutch rod and clean it. I'd be interested to see if this solves your problem.

-Jake

For those who dunno what this thread is about: it's something that also afflicts the VTR1000: take off abruptly with too many revs and the clutch bites and squeals/graunches, so you pull it in slightly and let it out again and it does it again. Makes it almost impossible to take off fast and cleanly.

Oh, that's different from what mine was doing. During slow take offs, the engine would shudder. If I'd keep the rpm up around 3k or so and let out the clutch more quickly, the shuddering would be almost gone. With the new clutch plates, I can let out the clutch just off idle with hardly any throttle and it's smooth.

OEM clutch parts are always smoother than aftermarket, but why not go after your slave as suggested. BTw spring and plates are Probably the Lesser chance unless warped or something(very rare), Check basket tags for deep grooves. But before buying anything flush the slave very well. I rate that as #1 probability, IMO

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Yeah I do. I fitted the clutch slave cylinder from the 2006 wreck I bought to my bike and the problem has gone away. I knew my slave cylinder was a bit shagged but when I fitted my 2002 slave cylinder to the 2006 motor initially it was absolutely rotten.

So in my case the problem appears to have been related to a dodgy sticking slave cylinder.

No matter what bike, Ive always found the oem clutch provides best perfromance, normally end up with side effects with aftermarket.

I dont really know whats causing the issue, I do know my 92,000 mile vfr clutch is very smooth(but it routinally gets fluid change with resovior drains). My guess its a fluid degrade,clogging has caused some form of plate warpage, or maybe the basket tangs have become severly notched.

But stay oem springs and everything

• 5 months later...

I had the grabbing, graunching, shudder rpm over 3500 on take off. The first thing I did was to replace the oil with Rotella 15w-40. The grabbing, graunching, shudder went away, but it felt like engagement was at the end of the lever (farthest from the bar) so I changed the friction plates with an EBC set and got new OEM springs. I left the steels, but should have done them most likely. Regardless, this problem has no reared its ugly head again in 3000 miles so fingers crossed.

-Jake

Oem will always provide the best clutch action, why something is wrong with yours is the question.

• 3 years later...

I had that nasty snatching clutch taking off quickly from stoplights.

Kinda scary that kick in the back and immediate pullback but more embarrassing really.

Bought a new clutch rod and oil seal, coated the whole thing with silicon grease.

Cleaned slave and bleed. Didn't do a damn thing - bike still snatched just as bad off the line.

Bought new OEM Honda friction plates and a set of Barnett 73 lb springs. Re-used the steels as they were fine.

Could not see much wrong with the old friction disks except they were thinner than the new ones due to wear.

20K miles on the 2001 VFR. The clutch change took about an hour and a half including time to drink 2 beers.

Problem is now gone. I can launch with high RPMs quickly or slowly - no issues. My confidence is back!

• Member Contributer

You can invest is some good old sweat equity if your interested in
making your clutch bite good as new...

Inspect the friction plates for glazing... make sure you have plenty
of material to work with... your shop manual states clutch thickness
in thousands of an inch or mm...

First removed the contaminants with Acetone... pick a hard surface to lay
over a 600 grit black dry emery paper... rotate the clutch plate in a
circle... you're just busting the glaze... don't get carried away
remove too much material... You should end up with a friction plate
looks dull like a new one as opposed to a shinny glazed one... recheck
thickness...

gallery_3131_51_129667.jpg

Next check the pressure plates for bluing caused by localized heat...
make sure they are not warped... consult the manual for a thickness
range... now removed the contaminants with Acetone and wire wheeled
them to erased the blue and also to generally scuff up the surface...
you should end up with a dull surface free of Blue marks...

gallery_3131_51_40098.jpg

Lay your bike on its side to keep the oil inside the engine...
ClutchFix2_zpsd4fae11b.jpg
ClutchFix3_zpsa99f34bf.jpg

Archived