96 vfr750 cbr929 pistons???/

ok i have one modified. it was kind of a pain in the ass to do so i will probably take a while till i get the other 7 done, or another 3 for that matter lol this is the finished result, minus the swaintech coatings i plan to have put on it.

db70763d.jpg

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

and you can do a valve job at home, leave stock cams in,

You can also have the cams reground for some more lift or fit VFR800 valves (and seats) which I think are about 1mm larger in diameter. The larger displacement engine has to be able to breath after all.

Interesting, does an 800 head fit on a 4th gen lower

Chris

Oakland, ca.

Interesting, does an 800 head fit on a 4th gen lower

No, totally different motors. The 4th Gen has the gear drives for the cams between the pistons, whereas the 5th Gen has it on one side of the motor. The 5th Gen motor is actually the RC45 motor, with a 180 degree crank rather than the RC45s 360 degree crank.

Nice work FGE, looking forward to seeing more.

• Member Contributer

Yoshi: There is a chamfer, its not very big. Does it need to be substantial?

No professional opinion. Though re-reading the first machining post, I misunderstood what you did. Ignore me. Carry on!

I think my question would be "why bother?" I have a 1997 VFR750 with 160,000klm on it and I have NEVER found the power output to be inadequate, unless you think 200kph into turn 1 at Phillip Island is far too slow. It was quite fast enough for me!

Although I am Californian Superbike School trained I do admit I am not 'quick'. It might be that I am now 66, but I never was 'quick. I do love my VFR though, all 750cc of it!

• Member Contributer

Why do people climb mountains? :laugh:

Because they CAN!!!!

• Member Contributer

836cc. Im hoping to not lose too much compression with the smaller dome.

So you're effectively making your own TTS Big Bore kit? If that is the case, then the main issue will be with boring the cylinders. Back in the day, when Brian Law at Dynamo Humm sold the TTS kits and built the engines, there were a few stories of ruined engine cases, incorrectly bored by engine shops that had no experience with VFR-type v4 engines. Brian used OEM head gaskets, hand-reamed using an air grinder. If my 837cc 3rd-gen is anything to go by, there isn't a huge difference from the extra 89cc, though it does feel stronger.

Ciao,

• 2 weeks later...

Basically thats what im doing. I have a place to send my engine block that another forum member has sent his to in the past so i think im good there.

• Member Contributer

feb90f87.jpg

The dome looks smaller, how will you determine the compression rating of the new pistons? I'm not sure I would just stuff them in there and hope the compression will be OK. I would measure to see where you're at.

Chris

Oakland, C.a

• 4 weeks later...

flyguyeddy - glad to see that you're still making progress on this. I'm surprised at the lower dome, though. I had been expecting (from the reading on this), that the need to cut into the pistons was also going to be increasing the compression ratio. Anyway, definitely glad it's still progressing, and I'm very curious how it turns out.

Keep it coming, this is a great thread. If the heads and valves are done to flow better (I think 800 valve stems are longer so need to be shortened) then up to 118ish flywheel hp has been obtained.

A couple of guys in Europe have added cams, carbs and lots of fettling to that and managed somewhere in the region of 125-130 at the rear wheel.

Just gotta get my other projects done and I'll be on this.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

So you're effectively making your own TTS Big Bore kit? If that is the case, then the main issue will be with boring the cylinders. Back in the day, when Brian Law at Dynamo Humm sold the TTS kits and built the engines, there were a few stories of ruined engine cases, incorrectly bored by engine shops that had no experience with VFR-type v4 engines. Brian used OEM head gaskets, hand-reamed using an air grinder. If my 837cc 3rd-gen is anything to go by, there isn't a huge difference from the extra 89cc, though it does feel stronger.

Ciao,

I know Brian Law quite well, grew up with his kids. I also know Bruce Allnut, the main mechanic involved in dynamo humm. Bruce and another friend are starting a new custom shop twenty minutes from me, focusing on older bikes, mainly seventies goldwings. They just bought the shop and aren't all set up yet but it's coming together.

Jess

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

i'm looking at this now for a VFR800, the 929 has the same style pistons as the 800, i.e. NO dome. These pistons may not make the compression you expect in the 750, due to the wider valve angle of the 750 head. The 800 & 929 are next generation combustion chambers with flat top pistons. Honda & Suzuki experimented for years with domed, hemispherical & pentroof combustion chamber designs, when what they were lacking was metalergy & water cooling ! Most bikes & cars now use close angle valve trains & that in turn allows for flat topped combustion chambers with great squish area to improve combustion. I've just had some 929 pistons delivered & will be pulling a rod & piston from my spare engine in a couple of weeks to measure everything. before making a decision on whether to pull the engine apart to get it bored !

yea i know there is less dome on the 929 piston, but i was told by a speed shop that the loss of the dome might be made up with the size increase. and really, there is a little bit of a dome once the pistons are cut down to the proper height.

yea i know there is less dome on the 929 piston, but i was told by a speed shop that the loss of the dome might be made up with the size increase. and really, there is a little bit of a dome once the pistons are cut down to the proper height.

Guy at the speedshop was ill informed, bore size does not affect static compression ratio. The compression ratio is dictated by combustion chamber volume with piston at TDC.

• Member Contributer

Guy at the speedshop was ill informed, bore size does not affect static compression ratio. The compression ratio is dictated by combustion chamber volume with piston at TDC.

Bore size most definately affects static compression, as does stroke. If you change either of those then you increase the swept volume (which is what CC or CU really mean) then more air/fuel has to fit into the same sized combustion chamber, the only way this can be done is if the compression is increased.

Assuming that the bore is increased 4mm on the VFR750, then 37x37x3.14x48.6x4/1000=835cc or plus 86cc swept volume. So 835/749=1.1148 or 11.48% increase in swept volume. So a very basic estimate based on 4th gen standard CR of 11:1 gives approx 12.2:1 with the big bore. That CR increase is worth 2-3% more power even without the CC increase, so 92hp becomes 94hp, plus 11% makes for roughly 104hp.

There was a Dynamo Humm built 4th gen that with a TB pipe & K&N & jetting kit plus the 837 big bore, went from 92hp to 117hp. A German took his big bore with cams, FCR39mm carbs & RC30 exhaust system to 123hp. Both showed masses of extra torque & more power everywhere.

So it is a worth while exercise.

Bore size most definately affects static compression, as does stroke. If you change either of those then you increase the swept volume (which is what CC or CU really mean) then more air/fuel has to fit into the same sized combustion chamber, the only way this can be done is if the compression is increased.

You, sir, are absolutely right. Been building engines for some time, but I haven't dealt with measuring compression ratios in 10-12 years. I wasn't thinking about the increase in cylinder volume. I was just thinking about the piston being at deck height, and enlarging it wouldn't change anything from that aspect. Thanks for the correction. Engines are such a second nature to me, I sometimes feel like I don't have to think about questions before I answer them.. :goofy:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived