GoPro

Monk

Hi guys.

I just tested my Go Pro Hero 2 out yesterday on the VFR.

No problems with the suc-cup mount.... but i had the rattling!!! Not a happy bunny!!

Seems after researching this that its the power and / or shutter buttons.... some have sent theirs back...many to receive a new camera with same problem..... some have had no problems since....

Go Pro have also (almost) acknowledged this too..... Not going to open mine up and fix it.... they should have sorted this out in production.

Will post vid link soon when i get it to youtube.....

Any thoughts / experiences to help would be well received....

:Lee

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw this on other site. Looks great. Bringing here for anyone interested:

This is what I am currently using for my Zumo 660. Solid as all hell and mounted to the frame. Most likely the least amount of vibes out of anything out there. JMO

2241715700105030702S500x500Q85.jpg

I added 1/4-20 tapped holes to the center section to mount other things.

Ram ball, 12V outlet you decide.

2225134000105030702S500x500Q85.jpg

2401362770105030702S500x500Q85.jpg

2802878610105030702S500x500Q85.jpg

Quite same idea with mine but his much more solid

Here's how it looks from the side:

_DSC9189.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I´m werry frustrated as I see folks get sutch nice vid´s whit GoPro. I buoght one (the first werison I think) just before we got kids, forgot about it whitout really testing it, and now even I tried several times, I dont get vid´s, it just dont work. It stop recording after a while (30-40sec), then might go on for a few seconds later. Also the pic every 3 sec mode stops after a while, way before the SD card is even 1/4 full! The batterys are OK, the memory card is OK, the GoPro is just junk I think sadly. And as I forgot it so waranty is past time (for that I can only blame myself) I´m stuck whit it. Still not convinsed to buy a nother after this experiense.

But still glad to see someon gets results.

• Member Contributer

Yup, I watched the vid (great riding, BTW) and the clicky noises coincide with the picture jostling up and down and you bump over pavement. I have GoPro'd a lot and the noise is what you hear when you don't insert the "thingy" into the mounting joint. Do that and you are good to 100mph.

If you really want to get techy, you can add a powered mike and put it anywhere that gets the sounds you like.

Ridax electronics blog

developing electronics for GoPro and repair of equipmentpath.jpg

Skip to content

GoPro Hero HD bus interface

Posted on February 27, 2011 by ridax

If you want to buy any dock connectors for the GoPro HD bus you can order them online at http://www.chargeconverter.com/store/sandisk .

There are different ways to number the pins in the connector, so here we first show how we number the pins in this document. Below is a picture of the female dock connector.

ipod_female_pin11.jpg

Female GoPro connector pin numbering

ipod_female_pin2.jpg

Female GoPro connector numbering

Then comes the male GoPro connector. First the most simple ones.

ipod_cradle_pin1.jpg

Cradle GoPro connector pin numbering

Then a picture of the male connector from the the front.

ipod_male_pin1.jpg

Male GoPro connector pin numbering from front side

Then the pin numbering from the soldering side.

ipod_male_pin3.jpg

Male GoPro connector pin numbering from soldering side

List of pin function

PinFunction

• GND
  • R video out – component Pb/Cb or composite (composite video out activated by grounding ID2 and ID3, component video out activate by grounding ID2 – only valid for old firmwares, current versions require eeprom).
  • G video out – component Y
  • B video out – component Pr/Cr
  • USB +5V power
  • as above
  • USB Data+
  • USB Data-
  • GND
  • Audio out Right
  • Audio out Left
  • Pwr/Mode button (tie to ground to activate)
  • Playback mode button (tie to ground to activate)
  • Audio in Right
  • Audio in Left
  • IR input
  • Trig digital output
  • GND (?)
  • ID1 digital input
  • ID2 digital input
  • ID3 digital input
  • ID4 digital input
  • Adapter output – power output for external equipment (follows internal battery power).
  • as above, but only powered when camera is on
  • VBat+ external power input ?
  • as above
  • GND
  • DATA interface I2C
  • CLK interface I2C
  • GND

Acknowledgements

This information was compiled with permission from forum threads at GoPro User forum and RC-cam forum . More details and pictures can be found there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hey guys - lot of great info on this thread, I was going to post up a new topic but it seems like most of my questions have been answered. Being that you guys have had quite a bit of time to tool around with this stuff I wanted to get a quick update from everyone, especially Timmydecopp since he made that friggin awesome video.

Best mounting spot for straight on shots?

Best mounting spot for view of suspension?

Best mounting spots for side view?

Are any of you getting great shots without mounting rams?

• 6 months later...

I'll also refrain from posting a new topic, but was hoping to get some insight. Looking to pick up a GoPro, not sure if I want to go with a Hero2 or Hero3 Black. Is the Black a substantial upgrade, or just minor upgrades everywhere? It's easy to find a used 2 for under $200; trying to find the best balace of quality and budget..

An amazing mount / rig for a GoPro. That's excellent shaft design though:

60193_10151258822738140_564923540_n.jpg

Hey Dude, looks how it makes a video:

That's freakin' hilarious!

Reminds me of childhood when friends and I would tie our 1/12th scale plastic jeeps to our stingray bikes and make them drift around corners. Good times.

No GoPro experience here but have been okay using a Contour bullet cam on various bike locations.

I'll also refrain from posting a new topic, but was hoping to get some insight. Looking to pick up a GoPro, not sure if I want to go with a Hero2 or Hero3 Black. Is the Black a substantial upgrade, or just minor upgrades everywhere? It's easy to find a used 2 for under $200; trying to find the best balance of quality and budget..

Not having anything newer than the GP, the one thing I'd want is a model that has the on/off light on the back so you can see if you turned it on or off while riding. I think GP2 has that function.

Hopefully someone with a GP2 or 3 will get on here and update you......

• Member Contributer

Yeah there's a redneck somewhere asking his wife " WHERE DID THE SKATEBOARD RIDER GO " or " HEY DUDE YOU LOST THE GUY ON THE SKATEBOARD"

• Member Contributer

Spend the money and get the GoPro 3....

I have the GoPro 1, and for the 2 and 3 they have a wifi module that allows your smartphone to connect via an App so you can see live video and playback, deleted and so on. But they are not releasing a firmware update for the version 1 cameras. It's not a hardware limitation as the wifi module will connect so you can use the remote control. They just want you to buy a new camera.

But anyways, here is why you buy the GoPro 3, I know someone that has the inside scope with the district sales rep for GoPro. GoPro has some other things coming the pipe later this year, like a GPS unit that, will track speed, position, vertical feet, and may also have a G meter and other cool toys, but none of this will not work with the GoPro 2.

I haven't spent the money, but from what I've read the GoPro 3 is a big step above GoPro 2.

The White GoPro3 is quite a bit lower res than silver3 or black3. The difference between silver and black versions was smaller iirc, and I am thinking GoPro 3 silver myself. See the specs on their site. :beer:

• 2 months later...

I found a new mount on Amazon for my GoPro that was fairly cheap. I was going to make something, but after I found this one for $10, I figured I would give it a try. Has anyone used one of these yet? Any issues? I plan to affix a tether of some sort to it before I actually ride with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Handlebar-Video-Camera-Mount/dp/B005ISU8HO/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_2_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1373982130&sr=8-30&keywords=bicycle+handlebar+mount

yduru6y7.jpgahevemuh.jpgedy4u9ar.jpg

• Member Contributer

so you added a tripod mount to it to attach the gopro?

That's a frikking awesome mount, lots of possible adjustments indeed!!

so you added a tripod mount to it to attach the gopro?

That's a frikking awesome mount, lots of possible adjustments indeed!!

Yes, that is the tripod mount on there as well. I already had that attached to my Ram mount ball though, so I had it in my stash of attachments.

Does is not vibrate alot ?

IDK. I haven't actually ridden with it yet. I tried a Ram mount off my clip-on with a long arm to make it over my tinted windscreen last year and couldn't stand the vibration with that set-up. This one seems more sturdy, but won't know for sure until I try it.

I know others have made brackets to attach to the passenger pegs, so hopefully this one works okay.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Does is not vibrate alot ?

IDK. I haven't actually ridden with it yet. I tried a Ram mount off my clip-on with a long arm to make it over my tinted windscreen last year and couldn't stand the vibration with that set-up. This one seems more sturdy, but won't know for sure until I try it.

I know others have made brackets to attach to the passenger pegs, so hopefully this one works okay.

Any follow up on your passenger peg mount?

Any follow up on your passenger peg mount?

I have only used it once. The video came out pretty good as far as vibration. It comes real close to the pavement in sharp turns, although it never touched. I've never touched a footpeg on the VFR either, but looking at the video I come really close. So if you drag footpegs, maybe the camera would drag too? Not sure.

The biggest thing is the placement. I put it in the center of the foot peg and half of the view is my boot. If you could get it out a couple more inches, it would be much better. Maybe even on the tip of the footpeg it would be better. Seems more of a "filler" video since you can't see in front of the bike very well where I had it.

Overall I like the clamp and may find other places to use it if I don't get the footpeg thing worked out. Seems pretty sturdy and versatile for the price.

Archived