GoPro

Monk

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

My GoPro has no preview screen.

I have mounted on helmet and asked my friend to adjust (up/down) for me while I have don the helmet on. Unfortunatelly, the video taken was pointing to the fuel tank and the speedometer, the road appeared very minumum in the video screen.

How you guys adjust the GoPro direction when mounting on helmet to take the proper video? Adjust it by experience? Any modification needed to ensure the wanted direction?

Thx.

How you guys adjust the GoPro direction when mounting on helmet to take the proper video? Adjust it by experience? Any modification needed to ensure the wanted direction?

Thx.

Mount it, then stop in front of a store window and get in the riding position, and adjust.

• Member Contributer

Run parallel to your line of sight in the riding position (or what they said - aim a little high, have someone check while you are on the bike and good old trial and error). Make sure the posts are tight or your cam will move during your ride. How tight? REALLY TIGHT!

VietHorse...... I was watching your video and like you said it's a bit low, nice ride though....... Also I noticed that you don't keep your head level with the ground(when going left and right around turns), which is not to say you're wrong but the recommended riding method is to keep your head level and pointed toward the way you're going to go.

If you watch some racing flicks you'll see that while they're leaned over dragging a knee they still have their heads level with the road.

Hi,

My GoPro has no preview screen.

I have mounted on helmet and asked my friend to adjust (up/down) for me while I have don the helmet on. Unfortunatelly, the video taken was pointing to the fuel tank and the speedometer, the road appeared very minumum in the video screen.

Thx.

Get the backpack LCD

Have recorded over the past 7-8 years scads of ride vids. Lately, most were in support of the massive Colorado book project (see sig).

Personally, I record so the road/ride is re-lived. That means the recording is as from the saddle, and thus it is a helmet cam. Don't stick the cam on top of the helmet. The view is extreme. Hang the GoPro or Contour below the left ear, on the left side of the helmet. After experimenting with every mounting location and direction on a bike, 95% nowadays are from the bottom left side of the helmet. Here are the advantages, at least for me...

- The ride is captured from the rider's perspective, in the saddle. Oh sure, it is fun through the screen, down low off the fairing, reverse direction for views of the pilot or the road behind, but at the end, they are novelty kinds of views.

- One can see a part of the bike in the recording. When there is no bike in the frame, or one can't tell it is a bike, it begins to look like a recording from a car.

- Vibrations are minimized vesus hard mounting to a bike.

- One mount to a helmet, works with any bike in the stable.

- On the helmet, one can look around (choicefully) for the viewer. I will look to the left or right at a lake, a stunning view, range cattle, etc. Sometimes I pause on a lonely road and do a slow 360.

- With the cam on the lower left side of the helmet, it is easy to dip the head to the mirror to see the status of the cam. Is it on? Is the red light flashing? Plus, with my left hand I turn it off and on along the way so I'm not recording boring stretches of road, or boring vehicles in front.

- Once you get the orientation of the cam right... left/right, up/down, rotation, tighten those adjustment knobs. I have no need for a preview screen because the orientation is set.

I've made every mistake one can make while recording a road/ride from a bike. And I continue to make them. lol.gif

Colorado riding vids... http://rmridervideo.com

Coupla ones from the VFR800...

http://youtu.be/0yi-yYlRS9c

http://youtu.be/6KT1BQSchkg

http://youtu.be/GPwfVm2Z8ww

Very good info, Thanks. Do have a few questions if you will?

Do you get much noise with the mount on the side of the helmet "Without the camera being mounted"?

Also using YouTubes service how are you allowing music "AND" bike sounds together?

And would you mind taking a pic of where you have the mount on your helmet?

• Member Contributer

Do you get much noise with the mount on the side of the helmet "Without the camera being mounted"?

Also using YouTubes service how are you allowing music "AND" bike sounds together?

What he said. =)

• Member Contributer

Have recorded over the past 7-8 years scads of ride vids. Lately, most were in support of the massive Colorado book project (see sig).

Personally, I record so the road/ride is re-lived. That means the recording is as from the saddle, and thus it is a helmet cam. Don't stick the cam on top of the helmet. The view is extreme. Hang the GoPro or Contour below the left ear, on the left side of the helmet. After experimenting with every mounting location and direction on a bike, 95% nowadays are from the bottom left side of the helmet. Here are the advantages, at least for me...

- The ride is captured from the rider's perspective, in the saddle. Oh sure, it is fun through the screen, down low off the fairing, reverse direction for views of the pilot or the road behind, but at the end, they are novelty kinds of views.

- One can see a part of the bike in the recording. When there is no bike in the frame, or one can't tell it is a bike, it begins to look like a recording from a car.

- Vibrations are minimized vesus hard mounting to a bike.

- One mount to a helmet, works with any bike in the stable.

- On the helmet, one can look around (choicefully) for the viewer. I will look to the left or right at a lake, a stunning view, range cattle, etc. Sometimes I pause on a lonely road and do a slow 360.

- With the cam on the lower left side of the helmet, it is easy to dip the head to the mirror to see the status of the cam. Is it on? Is the red light flashing? Plus, with my left hand I turn it off and on along the way so I'm not recording boring stretches of road, or boring vehicles in front.

- Once you get the orientation of the cam right... left/right, up/down, rotation, tighten those adjustment knobs. I have no need for a preview screen because the orientation is set.

I've made every mistake one can make while recording a road/ride from a bike. And I continue to make them. lol.gif

[snip - cut out the videos]

That is a very good POV. :fing02: Dido to Monks questions.

1). There is no noise from the small adhesive mount on the lower left side of the helmet.

2). I've learned the artists/labels, etc. YouTube permits, the ones they don't, and I've had to use their music swap capability to replace (and sadly so) great tunes I had sync'd to the ride/recording.

3). Should have mentioned GoPro sells a helmet mount for about $13. While advertised for the front of a helmet, it works fine on the side when coupled with a mount coming in the GoPro kit.

• Member Contributer

1). There is no noise from the small adhesive mount on the lower left side of the helmet.

2). I've learned the artists/labels, etc. YouTube permits, the ones they don't, and I've had to use their music swap capability to replace (and sadly so) great tunes I had sync'd to the ride/recording.

3). Should have mentioned GoPro sells a helmet mount for about $13. While advertised for the front of a helmet, it works fine on the side when coupled with a mount coming in the GoPro kit.

I'll preface this question by saying that I'm a Go Pro newbie.... If you mount the camera on the side with the mount that comes in the kit, the camera is sideways. How do fix that?

5thGenJim

I'll preface this question by saying that I'm a Go Pro newbie.... If you mount the camera on the side with the mount that comes in the kit, the camera is sideways. How do fix that?

I'm not sure what you didn't get with your GP, mine came with all sorts of extentions/articulated joints. So I can mount mine correctly. If you need some more parts check out this link.

http://gopro.com/products/

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/grab-bag-of-mounts/

I don't know if this will be of any help to you peeps, but it's a record for me.

117º mounted on my helmet as seen in the pic's.

I ran some ride test, and it's at a centred elevation to the horizon.

Foot-note:(nothing to do with camera) When wearing(buying) a helmet the less the bottom line of the helmet is parallel to the ground the less noise there will be. (Helmets are designed for peeps that sit straight up, lean forward, or in between. And don't seem to be brought up

very often when buying)....Just an FYI.

Helmet Cam Set Up 002

Helmet Cam Set Up 001

@Monk: Helmet side mounting - what if you ride with hi-speed? I feel the wind noise very loud even when mounting at forehead.

Your helmet even unbalanced while riding...

That what I though.

I don't feel it, but my windscreen blocks most of it. As far as noise goes, I wear earplugs so I have no noise issues.

Archived