GoPro

Monk

[media]

[media]

A first try with the front mount - this is part of my ride to work.

Sounds good, looks like all the clicky things have been dealt with.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a vid on a local road (VA) where I'm testing my new mount on the left side of my helmet.
I like the view but not the sound I'm getting.... To much wind noise and the bike sounds aren't to pleasing either.
As far as what I hear while riding with it mounted, I'm not having any noise or buffeting issues, you could say it's hard
to tell it's there. But that could be my windscreen that's helping or hurting with the sound.
So I replaced it with music.

@Monk: Helmet side mounting - what if you ride with hi-speed? I feel the wind noise very loud even when mounting at forehead.

I don't feel it, but my windscreen blocks most of it. As far as noise goes, I wear earplugs so I have no noise issues.

I like the view but not the sound I'm getting.... To much wind noise and the bike sounds aren't to pleasing either.

As far as what I hear while riding with it mounted, I'm not having any noise or buffeting issues, you could say it's hard

to tell it's there. But that could be my windscreen that's helping or hurting with the sound.

So I replaced it with music.

Hmm... So, no noise issue with the rider but for the video watchers... coz the rider has his earplugs... :tour::tour::tour:

Hmm... So, no noise issue with the rider but for the video watchers... coz the rider has his earplugs... :tour::tour::tour:

That's the problem. I tried the helmet mount and like it, except for the noise that it picks up on the video. When I had it mounted on the front of the bike on the windscreen the sound is pretty good wind and bike sound wise.

listening to other peeps vid's that still sound good could be where the wind hits their helmets differently due to their WS's allowing the wind to hit theirs differently. Having a better editing system and/or a remote mic could take care of the sound, but more $$$ and complicated.

So for now I just edit the sound out and play music, until I get a better editing system.

But this shows me how well the earplugs work :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

I got one but no matter where I mount it I get too much shaking to make it viewable. I have not tried the helmet yet but on the bike I cant get a nice clean view except very low speed and absolutely smooth ashphalt.

I got one but no matter where I mount it I get too much shaking to make it viewable. I have not tried the helmet yet but on the bike I cant get a nice clean view except very low speed and absolutely smooth ashphalt.

How many joints are you using in the(using the stick on mount) mount? Also, are you using the suck-cup mount? (that's going to bounce).

Try a stick on front centre right below the wind screen with only two joints(which means the sticky will be side-ways)

How many joints are you using in the(using the stick on mount) mount? Also, are you using the suck-cup mount? (that's going to bounce).

Try a stick on front centre right below the wind screen with only two joints(which means the sticky will be side-ways)

I was just using the mount and one short extension (is very short) so yes only two joints and not much length. Stuck the mount on the front windscreen. I have the suspension quite firm and quite a lot of preload on the back as I am a reasonably big boy. Maybe this is the cause. Will try the helmet next and see how that goes. The shot out the front did look good though (the bits you could see).

The helmet will work for sure!

I've seen some vid's with the camera eye level on the helmet that give a great propective from the riders view, and have done it myself, and like it. Just my set up (windscreen)but I get to much wind noise on my helmet. So it might need music to replace it. I like the nature/natural sounds myself.

Monk, If you're finding the GoPro audio "challenged" on the side of your helmet, an option is to buy a cheap MP3 recorder and toss it in your pocket. Import the MP3 along with the video and sync it up in your video editor :cool: . Another option is to mount the cam to the chin front of your helmet to see if this gets it out of the wind enough.

http://youtu.be/kIpParTnyZo

• 1 month later...

Here 's my GoPro mounting kit...

First, a piece of metal with a chop of a bolt (thread):

_DSC9180.jpg

Second is a stainless steel tube, with inside thread, connecting with the mini ballhead - the one used for Camera tripod:

_DSC9175.jpg

Third, the GoPro, of course:

_DSC9177.jpg

Here are all the things:

_DSC9173.jpg

Okay, now install the metal piece with thread on the gas tank mount:

_DSC9181.jpg

Then, just get them together - Let me check the view of the camera first, by using my CanonA620 Camera as the GoPro has no live view:

_DSC9186.jpg

Seemed okay, now get the GoPro back in:

_DSC9188.jpg

Here's how it looks from the side:

_DSC9189.jpg

And the video captured with this mounting has been posted here: LINK

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone tried to stick the GoPro on the hard saddle bag for riding video?

The video should be almost looked like the video from the below mounting kit:

IMG_0754.jpg

I have done the trial fit today and find out that the hard bag is not really horizontal. So, need some sorts of shim plate to make the GoPro stays horizontally.

not worth a new thread. (prolly not even worth a look) but here is what a Contour Roam in HD looks like on an overcast day:

I like the non wide angle look................. And what is that red light in the instrument area?

• Member Contributer

Timmy,

The specs on teh Contour Roam state that it has a 170* lense angle. Do you find that it "straightens out" the turns less than the Go Pro?

cool video.

• Member Contributer

I took my GoPro on my trip to Deals Gap and back.

On my way back I put it on with the closed backing (cause I was going to be doing some quick speeds in the BRP)

Well, while I was riding the case started to fog up directly ifo the lense....not to mention the sound was this horrible wind whistling and screaching.

Needless to say that closed backing/cover I will not be using unless it's raining.

I had it mounted like this:

img7890o.th.jpg

img7522b.th.jpg

My vids without the backing were great. Here's a quick clip:

Agreed on the back-cover. I experienced one in an early morning ride. I was so upset that the captured video presented a white curtain btw eyes and the video.

Don't know how to prevent that foggy from happening. Just remove it and use the open back-cover. Put the camera in bag when raining.

Timmy,

The specs on teh Contour Roam state that it has a 170* lense angle. Do you find that it "straightens out" the turns less than the Go Pro?

I cant tell yet, but it does seem a little less fishbowl lookin. The GoPro is supposed to be also 170, so what gives? I am not a huge fan of the helmet mount, but I couldn't figure where to put the thing for the test, so I threw it on my lid just to see what the video looks like.

I've been reading all these posts as I'm looking to get something this spring--not sure yet--Gopro or Contour. My question: Has anyone tried the Gopro with the chest mount? Just wondering how that works????

I've been reading all these posts as I'm looking to get something this spring--not sure yet--Gopro or Contour. My question: Has anyone tried the Gopro with the chest mount? Just wondering how that works????

Go to page two - post 41

And while I'm posting, I found a new source for another clicking sound......... It's the power-botton on the front.........

The cover doesn't hold it still except when pushing the cover botton.......... I'm thinking of putting some cotton between that contact point...........

Also I was told that putting some cotton over the speaker port will help the sound quality(by Tomg33).

Archived