POLL: Type of Motorcycle Accidents You Have Been In.

Guest CanuckCurt

Accidents. Crashes. Wrecks. Fender Benders.  

172 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of motorcycle accidents have you been in?

• Hitting a critter (animal).
    • Right of way violation between biker and other vehicle- where the biker (you) were at fault.
    • Right of way violation between biker and other vehicle- where the other vehicle was at fault..
    • Lost control in a corner: "high-sided" the bike. (ie. Highsider)
    • Lost control in a corner: "low-sided" the bike. (ie. Lowsider)
    • Accident while lane splitting/filtering.
    • You, the biker, rear ended a vehicle in front of you.
    • You, the biker, were rear ended by some other vehicle.
    • Accident when stunting (ie. wheelies, endos/stoppies, burnouts, etc)
    • Unable to keep bike upright when stationary.
    • NO motorcycle accidents for me!

Guest CanuckCurt

There are (at least) two things about motorcycle accidents that intrigue me.

First, as a guy who loves to ride motorcycles - and as a guy who has been in too many motorcycle accidents myself - I am curious to see how many people have been in similar accidents as myself.

Secondly, I am a health care provider. And, as a health care practitioner, I work with many people who sustain injuries from motor vehicle accidents. And, (it should go without saying that) there is a correlation between the type of accident and degree of injury. It is helpful for me to know how prevalent certain kinds of accidents are. It is also helpful to know what kind of injuries are associated with certain type of accidents.

If you've been in an accident that is not represented by any of the options stated in the poll, feel free to add your 0.02 cents worth.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Crashed my first two bikes in rapid succession in 1994. First one started developing a wobble on a perfectly straight stretch of road and I stupidly chopped the gas. She went down. We slid into a yard, seperated and she turned into shrapnel.

I, stupidly again, left my kickstand down and was tossed rather quickly.

Had to really wonder if this MC shit was for me. In retrospect, while I've still got a lot to learn and hope I always feel that way, I'm so glad I didn't give up on bikes.

Crash free since 1994!

• Member Contributer

I was popped from behind while stopped at a yield sign on a highway entrance ramp. Fortunately, the car I stopped for was gone when I was pushed out into the traffic lane! Only suffered a small bruise on my left leg from the foot peg hitting me as the bike was shoved forward. I never actually fell off the bike. Took a step to the side as it fell over. Frame was bent. Bike totalled. I rebuilt it and put another 20k miles on it.

• Member Contributer

I was at a Legion Rider Meeting and was beginning to take off on a One Way Road the wrong way. (Granted there was only like 10FT to go to the turn and it was late at night with no traffic)

As I started to take off, one of the members who was Mentally Challenged came running out spazing and waved me over. Well, the only place that I could get over without hitting him was in driveway that was slanted at an uphill angle. Bad for me, I stopped the bike without thinking right over the angle. When I went to put my feet down... you guessed it. No ground... bike went toppling over and I with it. Minor damage but still.

• Member Contributer

No accident (yet!). No category for me?!?

I've done plenty of mistakes, luckily small ones, and I tried to learn from each one of them.

C

Somewhere around '73 I made a left turn(U-turn around a paved medium area) where I turn all the time, and one night late, dark I made the turn on spilt sand.

I was on my new BMW 750/5 RT. The only thing that touched the ground(other than myself) was the valve cover, it scrapped a hole in the cover, so I took it off and turned it over and rode home, $15 to replace the cover and I'm good to go.

Have been a surface scanner ever since.

I was at a Legion Rider Meeting and was beginning to take off on a One Way Road the wrong way. (Granted there was only like 10FT to go to the turn and it was late at night with no traffic)

As I started to take off, one of the members who was Mentally Challenged came running out spazing and waved me over. Well, the only place that I could get over without hitting him was in driveway that was slanted at an uphill angle. Bad for me, I stopped the bike without thinking right over the angle. When I went to put my feet down... you guessed it. No ground... bike went toppling over and I with it. Minor damage but still.

Sorry, what did the kid want?

When learning how to ride I would go around the block everyday after work.. for hours (neighbors musta hated me) Finally decided to go further so went several streets over and felt really go well while stopped on a hill (actually looking at it was a slope at best) waiting for the red light to change no one around got nervous since it rolled popped the clutch bike jumped forward and I flew off head slammed hard to the ground. It was then that I gained 1000% respect for a helmet. Light bike scratches me nothing. Headed back to the slope/hill every night after that for a week determined to conquer it.

and then there was the time I tried showing off and zooming (needed tires at the time) off concrete and thru the grass... YES you guessed it no more need be said. Did leave a cool donut in the grass!

• Member Contributer

I was hit by a minivan driver backing out of her 75 foot driveway. The tree line blocked me from seeing her until it was too late. She never stopped at the end of her driveway to check for traffic and left me laying in a ditch as she ran back into her house while freaking out. I suffered a few stitches to an elbow and the racking of a life time. They totaled the bike and I am in the process of rebuilding it now 6 years later (just got it back).

She had the nerve to ask who was going to fix her back window since she had liability only as I was being loaded up into the ambulance. :rolleyes:

Now that I think of it, there have been a few....too fast for a corner, rear brake (!?) exit stage right, Black ice 10mph whifferprang, Hot asphalt turn entry onto a highway snagging bootlaces to stretch out across oncoming traffic, O 'dark thirty rainstorm big puddle mudsampling waterski nonturn, The random road rage Chevy Tahoe that ran me off the road after yelling pleasantries at my wife about her choice of bikes and lack of speed, The U-turn dump truck that I really almost got around, and the New guy in leather soled cowboy boots impressing everybody at work with the classic stop/plant/slip/crash dismount.

So...weather, road condition, lack of experience, and other drivers'. That about covers it if you ride for long enough.

But Man is it fun!

post-17037-0-36299500-1307042482_thumb.j

• Member Contributer

I've never had an accident on a road bike and I don't think dirt bikes should count. :biggrin: I have fallen over at a stop, for one reason or another, on a road bike. But IMO you have to be moving to have an accident. N'est pas?

Low side on a left hand turn. Broke collar bone in 4 places, 4 ribs and a few other things.... two weeks ago... still recovering.

• Member Contributer

Had a little trouble with speed one night back in '87 on my gen one - caught a little lane stripe in a curve; and then later (by about 10 minutes), couldn't bring it down fast enough at a stop sign - hit a stopped car. Helmet on, long sleeves, jeans and gloves - only minor scratches to me and the bike. It was a very quick and lasting lesson about respecting the motorcycle

Ive been riding since kid now , rode competition to late 30's, so all my accidents were offroad or competition. The worst was a seperated shoulder in 92, hitting a boulder and super manning at 70 mph. I got knocked out hitting drainage ditch at 14, other than that about it , as serious.

Ive never been down on the street , but I have a large history, so it only stands to reason, slight advantage over standard street rider projection. I dont have that house of cards history untested with tasting the ground, street is very easy by the way, Im I vererable(sure I can screw up) but Im high on employing tactics and front wheel placement , with threats on the road, I use offensive and defensive methods depending on the situation.

Being 48, I feel the body cant take the hits it once could, so I use all my bike control and experience to ensure that doesnt happen.

Learning to Read the street on bike , is an important developement that takes time, fun at other times, exploiting an opportunity. A new street rider has a double wammy, No real bike control and not Being able to read the street and those are seperate traits to learn. Most people can go from point A to B, without issue, Normally the performance rider self implodes.

But if not employing tactics and stratagies on the road, anyone and everyone will be vernerable. I train with the Deer and Cops, No better courses on the street .

• Member Contributer

Having ridden since I was a kid(48 now), I have only had three mishaps 2009 someone backed into me, set the bike down as he stopped. went wide on a left hand corner figured I could use the shoulder,but wet grass... broke 3 ribs finished the ride :cheerleader: and last year blew an itersection & pegged a truck(did not get hurt :cheerleader: ) So I am done now :biggrin: I tend to be much more aware now!!! I hope everyone can be safe and accident free!!!

• Member Contributer

I flipped an H2 Kaw at about 90 on Panama Beach FL in 76. It used to be cool To wheelie. After a week in the hospital I'm now a whimp. Just ask the "Sceneic group"

• Member Contributer

Crashing in the dirt had better count because that's why I bought a dirt bike. Also, because it's good experience for the street. And it's fun :fing02:. I've only ever dropped street bikes; mostly because I was being dumb. Been riding since 2008.

-Jake

I've gotten off at low speed by my own errors here and there.

Have never collided with another vehicle (when on a motorcycle).

Never fallen with much speed. Knock wood. :goofy:

The only animals I've hit have been a couple squirrels and small birds. No problem. for me anyway.

• Member Contributer

Sorry, what did the kid want?

He was trying to get me to stop and warn me that I was going the wrong way on a One Way. Basically the house I was at is on a One Way Road. But, the house was like 10FT away from the Stop Sign in the opposite direction going the Wrong Way. Instead of driving down the 2 Miles or so to go around, I just flipped the bike around from the Parking Area and decided to go the wrong way... it was like 11 PM and no traffic whatsoever. He was just trying to warn me but what can you do in them situations. The guy was really out there. At least he helped me pick up the bike afterwards haha. Just greatful I had sliders on or I might have been in trouble.

• Member Contributer

i have done almost everything listed.. a few that are not..

i hit a PERSON!!!!

some moron ran through broad street traffic in Philly,, and i nailed him doing 40 mph. i had just rebuilt that bike.. and it got dumped in 10 minutes :pissed: the cop gave HIM a ticket .. and laughed when the guy complained..saying he had a broken leg..as he was being loaded up by the EMTs.. the cop said " look stupid.. your alive and basically OK.. but you broke the law big time and got lucky.. if he was driving a car..you would be dead.. and he would get a ticket for littering."

• Member Contributer

I low-sided in a corner doing about 45 mph. I had some really big bruises on my left shoulder, rib cage, and hip (fortunately, that was it.) The bike was totaled.

• Member Contributer

Low sided my Hurricane 1000 when I hit fresh diesel oil in a brief thunderstorm. Very lucky indeed, the bike and I separated - the rear rim of the bike was slightly bent when the trailer wheels of the semi coming the other way bumped over the edge of the rim as the bike and I slid by! Was still rideable, though. My riding buddy stopped, got off his bike and came running across the road to where I was (slowly) getting to my feet and....promptly fell on his ass when he hit the diesel. It was a big spill, fresh, and with water on it, just like ice. I suspect many lowsides have a "diesel" component. Have been riding oved 45 years so not including countless dirt bike falls in the old days.

• Member Contributer

Hit a 100 pound sheperd 3 doors from my house.....now that I'm a dog owner I see why the owner hates me....but still, use a leash!

You missed some options: I've had collisions with cars (including two bikes 'written off'), but also with a bicycle and a pedestrian. The latter did NZ$3800 damage to the VFR750 I owned at the time. Oh - and a bit of damage to the pedestrian, who had to pay for the bike.

Six years ago I was riding my ZZR12 on a familiar twisty road, and I hit a doe on a blind turn. I don't remember much about it, but I usually take that particular turn at about 65 mph. Damage: bike totalled (replaced by a Blackbird); me: 21 bone fractures (mainly ribs and pectoral girdle), punctured lung, concussion, and some major road rash. This was the ONE time in maybe ten years that I was not wearing proper gear-left my jacket at home for some stupid reason. One plus---I got my first helicopter ride (I guess it was fun--don't remember), which only cost $7,500 for a 20 mile ride to the trauma center. Thankfully, insurance covered everything.

Jon

Archived