GPS's

Bent

• Member Contributer

Have a TomTom cage GPS which has become an intolerable POS. Crappy, inaccurate maps, expensive map updates, and no programming logic at all. Takes me on ridiculous routes.... :491:

Is any other brand considered "the best" over another? Garmin looks better by far just computer shopping. Just wanting the experience of others.

What's this have to do with motorcycles? People trailer them with cages to various places..... :smile:

THANKS!! :woohoo:

• Member Contributer

Have a TomTom cage GPS which has become an intolerable POS. Crappy, inaccurate maps, expensive map updates, and no programming logic at all. Takes me on ridiculous routes.... :491:

Is any other brand considered "the best" over another? Garmin looks better by far just computer shopping. Just wanting the experience of others.

What's this have to do with motorcycles? People trailer them with cages to various places..... :smile:

GARMIN ZUMO.....I use mine in the Cars too......and You "MIGHT" get another Motorcycle someday..... :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I have a TomTom One. One of the newer releases that made it pretty difficult to load your own software on it and whatnot. If you're looking for something that's more advanced than go to this location, it is absolutely worthless.

Again, pretty much anything Garmin is good. If nothing else, it's at least better.

• Member Contributer

I paid $45 for an old school Garmin V handheld unit with acc. off flea bay. It is the second one I've owned having sold the first with my previous bike. The unit is small, black and white, has no voice, and memory is limited, so maps must be downloaded if traveling long distances. BUT, it gets me where I need to go every time. Takes 4 AA batteries, and just works. Cant go wrong with Garmin. I've heard good things about the street pilot 3.

• Member Contributer

I use my smartphone with google navigation thru a SMH10 bluetooth headset, works great. Don't have to look down while riding.

• Member Contributer

GARMIN ZUMO.....I use mine in the Cars too......and You "MIGHT" get another Motorcycle someday..... :biggrin:

Looked at Magellan and was not impressed. Looks like it's a Garmin of some model or another.

And Mr. Skuuter.....you of all people don't need a gps. There is NO place in the Southeast you haven't been at least 145 times.....per month.... :biggrin:

And, you're right, I may end up with another murdercycle again. I am, after all, Bent...the only one ever to be made, thank goodness..... :blink: Miss ya Pal!! :fing02::biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I had a Garmin Quest. I liked it a lot, but it's memory was very limited...when it broke I bought a Magellan unit that turned out to be not suitable for motorcycle use at all so it's been religated to the car. I then bought a Garmin Zumo 220...does everything I need on a bike, is waterproof, syncs to my Scala Rider G4 via bluetooth, allows custom routes and has an SD memory card.

In short as others have said, spend the money and get a Garmin unit...JMO.

Mr Bent, after having used my Garmin Zumo 550 daily for the last 9 days, I can only tell you to go that way. Get a Garmin - and if you need waterproof - go Zumo.

I drove most of the day yesterday trailering the bikes home and my passenger was out cold for a good portion of the trip - which meant a second opinion wasn't available. The ZUMO has some idiosyncrasies at times - but for 95% of the time - in my experience - its the one I'd buy if I had to buy another one.

Get another bike would ya? THe SOutheast has lots to explore!!

• Member Contributer

I use a big bulky Garmin streetpilot III.

Yes, its an antique but has a nice color screen and is very durable.

I can buy one used with many extras and a touratech locking mount for $75.

I leave it locked on my bike out in the rain, in fact its been wet many times.

Still works fine and its not expensive so I don't have to worry about it.

I am low tech bigtime as still never use many features it has.

Garmin can take you on some crazy routes as well. So don't follow blindly.

But as far as Motorcycle GPS's, get a Zumo. Or use your smart phone with google maps thru bluetooth headset. Keep your phone pluged in or it will be dead before you get there.

• Member Contributer

Mr Bent, after having used my Garmin Zumo 550 daily for the last 9 days, I can only tell you to go that way. Get a Garmin - and if you need waterproof - go Zumo.

I drove most of the day yesterday trailering the bikes home and my passenger was out cold for a good portion of the trip - which meant a second opinion wasn't available. The ZUMO has some idiosyncrasies at times - but for 95% of the time - in my experience - its the one I'd buy if I had to buy another one.

Get another bike would ya? THe SOutheast has lots to explore!!

Good feedback bro. I'd like to have a new Yama liter bike. Seems the only way to go the way I ride, or maybe a Gixxer 750. :blink: No more Hondas. Surely something else out there is more reliable... :rolleyes: Right now I only have two liabilities in the garage.....a Nissan and a Ford....at one time there were six. It has had four bikes in addition to the cages.... :tour:

Darn growing up is hard to do..... :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Still chugging along with my Zumo 550. Tremendous especially on tour. I use it on and off road.

Garmin will release a new general purpose model in June called the Montana. This does not have some of the bells and whistles (BT, MP3, weather radar etc) of the Zumo series but it looks to be a great GPS for navigation. Looks to be versatile for hiking, biking, boating as well. And unlike most of the trail models it speaks to you.... ie Nav directions. Also the screen is useable in terms of size.

• Member Contributer

OK, it's done. Just ordered a list price $229.00, Model 2350LMT Garmin for $174.80 from Amazon. I learned how to find those promotional codes..... :goofy:

Free lifetime map upgrades, yada yada. This unit can't be as stupid as my TomTom. :ohmy:

Thanks everyone for the help. I don't like getting any more than 25 years behind the times at most..... :laugh:

Oh, and I heard about my pal Nicole at TMAC....... :biggrin::laughing6-hehe: Translation: She was being "normal". :cool:

• Member Contributer

And Mr. Skuuter.....you of all people don't need a gps. There is NO place in the Southeast you haven't been at least 145 times.....per month.... :biggrin:

And, you're right, I may end up with another murdercycle again. I am, after all, Bent...the only one ever to be made, thank goodness..... :blink: Miss ya Pal!! :fing02::biggrin:

Yes, this is true, but the GPS names/numbers Roads so I can tell Other Folks the Routes instead of my "Old Way".....go 2 roads past the Hog Farm, then turn right, take the next right after the Farmhouse with the red mailbox, then left onto the first road after the wood fence..........You get the idea.....I never used "Road Numbers" until I married Mitzie...drove Her crazy..... :laughing6-hehe: ....and Yes Buddy, we miss ridin' with You too, and seein' You and Your Wife..... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Yes, this is true, but the GPS names/numbers Roads so I can tell Other Folks the Routes instead of my "Old Way".....go 2 roads past the Hog Farm, then turn right, take the next right after the Farmhouse with the red mailbox, then left onto the first road after the wood fence..........You get the idea.....I never used "Road Numbers" until I married Mitzie...drove Her crazy..... :laughing6-hehe: ....and Yes Buddy, we miss ridin' with You too, and seein' You and Your Wife..... :fing02:

Glad you got the GPS. You were destined to soon become a dinosaur. Caught yourself in the nick of time..... :ohmy:

You lost me more than once.... :laughing6-hehe: I miss railing up the Pelham side of Monteagle. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Well i have a TOMTOM GPS 730 and i have not had any problems with it. It has taken me from Vancouver to Colorado and MANY MANY places inbetween, This might be a bit higher end then the cheap ones. But as long as you have maps that are up to date. IT works great. I have many people complain about there gps and have noticed that some follow it blindly, It will send you for a wild goose chase if you dont know how to program it. With computer software like AYRE for the TOMTOM you can program your routes for trip before hand and upload OR even share with other TOMTOM users.

• Member Contributer

I love my Zumo 550 for the usual motorcycle related details: waterproof, touch screen works with gloves, buttons in case you don't want to use the touchscreen, easy to do custom routes, syncs with my phone and Cardo headset. A couple of things I wish it had are lane assist and junction view. I had them on my old Navigon cage GPS and loved those features, especially in the cage when I'm just following the GPS instead of my own route on the bike. But I sold the Navigon to help with the Zumo purchase.

Bent, it looks like you got a pretty good deal there, especially with the lifetime map updates.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

OK, feedback time. My Garmin 2450LMT arrived, I used in on two long trips and it's WAY better than the TomTom I gave away out of frustration.

The Garmin actually has very easy to use logic, lifetime map updates free, provides a LOT of information if ya want it and is much easier to use. I don't know how it could be better except to sell for $1.95. :biggrin:

Thanks for all the feedback. Such a forum of nice people (well, except for that moderator in Tennessee.....he's exceptionally nice) ... :biggrin::fing02:

• Member Contributer

Is it time to suck up again?

:laughing6-hehe:

It doesn't do any good to suck up to that guy. He's too wise for that. I can never figure out though if he likes me or hates me.....heh, heh, heh...... :biggrin: Actually, I do know...heh, heh, heh.... :goofy:

It's great for navigating in strange cities and towns.

I still find with my Zumo 550 that I have to have a rough idea of where I'm going - it'll send you off on wild-ass guesses sometimes.

Also I use googlemaps to create the routes and upload them to the GPS which helps a bunch (get close to a great route then click the selection from saved routes).

OK, it's done. Just ordered a list price $229.00, Model 2350LMT Garmin for $174.80 from Amazon. I learned how to find those promotional codes..... :goofy:

Free lifetime map upgrades, yada yada. This unit can't be as stupid as my TomTom. :ohmy:

Thanks everyone for the help. I don't like getting any more than 25 years behind the times at most..... :laugh:

Oh, and I heard about my pal Nicole at TMAC....... :biggrin::laughing6-hehe: Translation: She was being "normal". :cool:

Archived