Tinted shield or sunglasses

Belfry

• Member Contributer

I recently purchased a Bell Star on closeout. So far I like it, but I'll probably order some thinner cheek pads. It's also easy to remove the Star's shield, which has me wondering if I should order a tinted shield along with the cheek pads. The bag that comes with the Star includes a pouch for a spare shield. Up to this point I've always purchased clear shields, figuring they were the most versatile, and worn sunglasses when needed. The Bell is a bit tight around the temples, so while I can still squeeze my sunglasses with skinny temple arms into place, I'm wondering what experiences others have had with swapping shields versus sunglasses. In addition to the usual light smoke and dark smoke, there are also "hi-def" shields, "iridium" shields, and a "transitions photochromatic" shield available for the Star ranging in price, respectively, from about $40 to $120. Thoughts on shield swapping versus sunglasses? TIA.

lurk.gif

• Member Contributer

I go with both. I usually have my shades on and the smoked shield 3/4 open. I also keep my clear shield nestled in the front of my tank bag for when the sun decides to set before I get home. The shades and the dark shield are great when you find yourself riding straight into the sun.

• Member Contributer

I use either a dark smoke or mirrored sheild with a clear shield in the bag in case I get caught after dark. I don't like wearing sun glasses under the helmet, it's a headache waiting to happen for me.

I like the "hi-def" shields IMO..... If you ride with your bags on all the time you can do whatever, if not, carry sunglasses with the "HD" shield on. HD's work well in mixed shadey areas as well,crap in the road and deer in the woods stand out way more, and even into the sun. All though I always put a one inch dark strip on any of my shields and don't bother with the sun glasses.

gallery_16535_4665_1666509.jpg

Helmet Mods 009

gallery_16535_4665_894705.jpg

Helmet Mods 008

• Member Contributer

Buy a dark smoke shield, you'll like it. Spring for a nice pair of sunglasses too when you can.........there are times when you'll want both.

The Transitions shields aren't worth the $ IMO. For sunglasses, drop about $100 on a pair of Serengeti Drivers........get a pair with nylon

temples.......wire or metal temples dig into your head. Check out Ebay........search Serengeti Summit 5602........something like that is ideal.

It has a fairly narrow nylon temple that will slip between your noggin and cheek pads nicely. The Corning Optics lenses are unbeatable.

Just search "Serengeti Drivers" on Ebay for a style you like..........buy them........you'll be :cool:

I always used the Shoei mirrored shields, they were OK in the sunlight and I could get home if I was caught out in the dark cause it's not too dark, even though they are easy to swap I rarely carry a spare.

Switched to Arai RX-7 and they only had dark tint in stock that day, so I went for it, It's better in daylight but at night pretty bad. Because it's difficult to swap and I still rarely have a spare I started carrying clear glasses in case I need to get home in the dark, with visor up.

• Member Contributer

Shoei RF1000, light smoke and clear. With the light smoke, in case the clear is not available you can see at night and have no complaints with blocking the suns rays. Don't like wearing any type of glasses when riding.

• Member Contributer

Mirrored smoke shield on Shark RSI. I also have a clear shield for nights. I don`t carry the clear with me. I wear glasses and this last pair I got Transition lenses again. The shield has UV protection so the glasses lighten up when my shield is down. I can always flip the shield up if I get caught after dark. Works fine for me and the Oakley frames for my Rx have straight bows so very easy to get them on and off while wearing a helmet. Curved bows have always been a big PITA with helmets for me.

• Member Contributer

I really like my Vemar Jiano helmet. It has one of the better drop down shades built right in.

VemarJiano.jpg

Rollin

Every helmet I own has a dark smoke shield on it. Almost always have clear safety glasses with me, and Bobster Foamerz for when it's super hot and sunny(open visor, use sunglasses)

I use the Bell silver mirror shield on my Bell Apex. It probably looks optically the same for the Star. It's all you'll need on a bright sunny day and provides great sun block with an excellent view, but it's a PITA to change out to a clear shield on the Apex, and you risk breaking tabs on the pivot kit. So, I use an Icon Alliance II as a back-up helmet, and keep it with either a clear or dark smoke shield opposite what I have the Bell set up with. Depending on the riding conditions, I go with one or the other. In Summer, with the longer daylight, I generally ride with the Bell silver mirror shield. In Winter, with the shorter daylight, I go with the Icon and its easily changeable shield.

Depend on when you ride. Horses for courses.

A quick blast on sunny weekends is all my 6th Gen sees, so a dark smoke for my Shoei X11 is all I need. But if your a dedicated daily commuter I personally like the idea of clear sunnies for if you get caught at night, but probably not so good if youre riding in reduced vision often or rain at all. Maybe carry a clear and smoked visor if youve got bags.

Be interested to hear others experiences but Ive heard the coloured and mirror type visors are poor quality and scratch easily

• Member Contributer

I like the "hi-def" shields IMO..... If you ride with your bags on all the time you can do whatever, if not, carry sunglasses with the "HD" shield on. HD's work well in mixed shadey areas as well,crap in the road and deer in the woods stand out way more, and even into the sun. All though I always put a one inch dark strip on any of my shields and don't bother with the sun glasses.

gallery_16535_4665_1666509.jpg

Helmet Mods 009

gallery_16535_4665_894705.jpg

Helmet Mods 008

I like the "hi-def" shields IMO..

Hey Monk, do you prefer the amber or orange "HI-Def" shields?

Thanks.

I like the "hi-def" shields IMO..

Hey Monk, do you prefer the amber or orange "HI-Def" shields?

Thanks.

Yes, I'm refering to glasses that will block out blue in the sky (blue blockers). Vermillion (a vivid red to reddish-orange color) is the best color, but orange or yellow will do(but not as well). I discovered them at my gun club(trap shooting).

http://www.blublocker.com/

• Member Contributer

Depend on when you ride. Horses for courses.

A quick blast on sunny weekends is all my 6th Gen sees, so a dark smoke for my Shoei X11 is all I need. But if your a dedicated daily commuter I personally like the idea of clear sunnies for if you get caught at night, but probably not so good if youre riding in reduced vision often or rain at all. Maybe carry a clear and smoked visor if youve got bags.

Be interested to hear others experiences but Ive heard the coloured and mirror type visors are poor quality and scratch easily

I agree as a commuter I carry a dark smoke visor, prescription sunglasses and a clear visor just in case.

• Member Contributer

Sunglasses and a clear shield...its simply the most versatile setup and its good for any conditions a person might find themselves riding in.

• Member Contributer

Monk, is that strip you add something purpose made for bike helmets or something else you've found that does the job?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Phil

• Member Contributer

I have one helmet clear one helmet tinted and I try to wear the tint as much as I can unless I am sure I will be not just out in the night but, on roads that I NEED to see further.

When I travel I take the X-11 with a tinted and clear shield and ear plugs.

I have a Shoei X-11 and use dark smoke almost exclusively. I also pack my clear shield just in case. The amber/yellow shields are nice for fog and rain but my clear one came with the lid and those extra shields are $$$$.

Monk, is that strip you add something purpose made for bike helmets or something else you've found that does the job?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Phil

No, it's not made for helmets, it's home modified. I prefer the type that is static applied as opposed to having a glue base(just because that's what I've worked with for years). Usually I buy one of those 4 inch strips that peeps put on car windshields.

To cut it, I lay it overlapping the top edge of the helmet visor and drag a blade along the edge, then re-apply an inch or so above the top edge and cut again.......Walla" a 1" strip.

To apply use some liquid soap(just the soapy water from a bowl) lay it on the inside of the shield, just low enough to not come in contact with the helmets seal (that's so you won't have to worry about it getting pulled loose later).

Now days they have smoke strips at most auto supply stores, but most have a glue base on one side. I'm guessing ... tape on, cut the same way ; then tape in place and mark the top edge where you want it ; then apply.

Also here's a great link on what the different color lins are more useful for..........

http://homepage.mac.com/kontrol/Personal16.html

• Member Contributer

No, it's not made for helmets, it's home modified. I prefer the type that is static applied as opposed to having a glue base(just because that's what I've worked with for years). Usually I buy one of those 4 inch strips that peeps put on car windshields.

To cut it, I lay it overlapping the top edge of the helmet visor and drag a blade along the edge, then re-apply an inch or so above the top edge and cut again.......Walla" a 1" strip.

To apply use some liquid soap(just the soapy water from a bowl) lay it on the inside of the shield, just low enough to not come in contact with the helmets seal (that's so you won't have to worry about it getting pulled loose later).

Now days they have smoke strips at most auto supply stores, but most have a glue base on one side. I'm guessing ... tape on, cut the same way ; then tape in place and mark the top edge where you want it ; then apply.

Also here's a great link on what the different color lins are more useful for..........

http://homepage.mac....Personal16.html

Thanks, Monk and everyone! fing02.gif Lots of good discussion on shields. I decided to take Monk's advice and try a hi-vis shield. I found an orange one on ebay for about the same price (with shipping) as the smoke shields listed elsewhere.

There's still one left for anyone with a Star. No experience with the seller, but the feedback looks encouraging.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e#ht_500wt_1182

I might still pick up a smoke shield later. I figure with a clear shield, hi-vis and sunglasses I should have most conditions covered.

Archived