Need new helmet

Belfry

• Member Contributer

Many years ago I was advised to replace my lid every five years: materials break down, advances make new helmets safer, etc. My current go-to hat, an HJC AC-12, was purchased in 2006 and was probably manufactured the year before (though I can't find the date stamp inside). It hasn't been in any crashes (fell off the seat once-doh...) and still looks good (removable, washable liner, etc.), but I'm thinking new lid for the new season. The simplest solution would be a new HJC FS-15, but I thought I'd tap into the experience and wisdom of the vifferati and maybe try something new.

I have owned Arai helmets in past, but most of the reading I've done suggests that HJC helmets (at around $200, which is what I paid for the AC-12) are just as safe as Arai, which cost two to three times as much. Fit and finish are probably nicer on the expensive lids. In any case, as I start researching a replacement I see there are plenty of choices on the market in the $100-$300 price range. I don't have any experience with Icon, Shark, AGV, (recent) Bell, (recent) Shoei, etc.

I don't have much trouble fitting helmets (large size on everyone's charts, oval to mild egg-shaped head). HJC's fit well, but so did Arai. I'm looking for a full-face helmet, not a shortie, flip-up, etc. Comfort, good visibility, good venting are important. I usually buy plain white or yellow for visibility, but I'm not opposed to tasteful graphics (I'm not a screaming skulls with snakes coming out the eye holes kind of guy--no offence to those who are ... ). Any recommendations, pointers to screaming deals (though not, as stated, screaming skulls biggrin.gif), greatly appreciated.

• Member Contributer

I bought a Scorpion EXO 1000 last year and really like it. The tinted inner flip shield is great when riding

in the mountains, in and out of shade and sun. I'm not sure of the graphics name........Apollo maybe.......

I dunno.........it's white with subtle red and gray accents. I also have AC-11's and an AC-12........I'd say

the overall fit is about the same. There are some screamin deals on closeout models.

The arai astral/vector has always been a good fit for me and I went through quite a few other brands to find that out. The HJC helmets I think are a good buy. The Scorpion has been very popular with my fellow riders. I have read that the AGV K3 is a good deal and comes in white. Some good prices on ebay for that helmet.

• Member Contributer

Just saw an add a few days ago about Shoei Qwest I think (could be wrong); they claimed that it was noticeably quieter at highway speeds or something like that. If there's any truth to this, it may be interesting and worth investigating. Just my opinion.

C

Just saw an add a few days ago about Shoei Qwest I think (could be wrong); they claimed that it was noticeably quieter at highway speeds or something like that. If there's any truth to this, it may be interesting and worth investigating. Just my opinion.

C

Of course it can vary with everyone for fit of the helmet, how they dress(collar, or not,etc.). How the bike is set up.

I've had most all the top brands(Shoei;Bell;Arai;Simpson;HJC;etc) through the years and the Scorpion is the quietest helmet I've ever had, I can even ride without earplugs with it and it's quiet, which I've done to test them, but other than that I wear ear plugs.

• Member Contributer

I did a quick comparison with a decibel meter late last year........tucked the meter in my jacket and ran

a poly tube extension up inside my shield.......went out for a short ride with each helmet ......HJC, Shoei

and Scorpion.........same road, same top speed, etc. The meter recorded the max dB each time. The

3 helmets only varied by 2.5 dB, with the Scorpion being the most quiet. Sometime this spring on a nice,

calm day I'll probably give this test another go with a little more scientific approach.

I really enjoyed my HJC, I think it was also an AC-12, but replaced it shortly after getting to Germany because of military rules. I bought an AGV, the price was good, but after getting the helmet the T-2, it thought it was actually inferior in quality to my HJC. The shield closing mechanism felt notchy, and not smooth, plus it was noisy opening/closing the shield. Granted, the shield was fairly easy to swap out, I just didn't enjoy that helmet as much as I enjoyed my HJC. I still use the AGV, but pretty much use it as my back-up/rain helmet. My current and favorite helmet is the Shoei XR1000, the U.S. cousin to the RF1000. It fits really well, is very comfortable, and is really nice as far as quality is concerned. It is by far my favorite helmet to date!!! I have a friend that swears by Arai, and another that swears by Suomy. Get what fits you in a comfortable manner, and is in your price range. Helmets are like tires, very subjective to the user, and the conditions that they subject their product to.

• Member Contributer

I did a quick comparison with a decibel meter late last year........tucked the meter in my jacket and ran

a poly tube extension up inside my shield.......went out for a short ride with each helmet ......HJC, Shoei

and Scorpion.........same road, same top speed, etc. The meter recorded the max dB each time. The

3 helmets only varied by 2.5 dB, with the Scorpion being the most quiet. Sometime this spring on a nice,

calm day I'll probably give this test another go with a little more scientific approach.

Ooooooo! Now, THIS is interesting. What were your readings if you don't mind me asking?

C

Ooooooo! Now, THIS is interesting. What were your readings if you don't mind me asking?

I like my helmets to be quiet too and that's one of the reasons I bought a Schuberth S1 Pro as that is supposed to be the quietest helmet on the market (85dBa at 100km/h). But for a helmet to be quiet it has to fit your head perfect to minimise turbulence. The S1 fits me very well, is indeed very quiet, has excelent vents, comes standard with a pinlock visor and a nice integrated sun visor.

• Member Contributer

I've spent the last 3 or 4 years with a Shoei TZR. I have a RF1000 new in the box also. I've been satisfied with the TZR and haven't removed the rf from the box. The TZR is supposed to be quieter and the RF has better ventilation. I like the quiet better than the vents. My son has a Scorpion and is very happy with it. He doesn't spend all day on the bike like I do. I believe that helmets are like underware: subject to the user.

I have two Scorpion EXO 700s. I paid under $100 each and they fit very well. They are easy to find cheap online.

• Member Contributer

I'm a helmet geek sort of. I have the following: Scorpion EXO-700 (2 of those), Shoei RF-1000 (2), Shark RSR2 (not sure about that model number, I'm at work), Scorpion EXO-1000. The Scorpion EXO-700's you can't go wrong for value...they're almost as good as the Shoei, but about $100 or more cheaper. The Shoei RF-1000 is my favorite as it's very stable at speed during head checks and comfortable, the Scorpion EXO-1000 is heavy, but really quiet, has the flip down tinted visor and is good for touring. The Scorpions have a great factory anti-fog coating that works. Shoei sucks for anti-fog...get a pinlock shield! The Shark was an impulse buy and doesn't really fit my head since it's a narrow European fit, but I've modified it for fit and I like it cause of the cool RDP replica graphics.

I had a SparX S07 for a few years until I ended up buyin a shoei RF1100 when I got back from my deployment. I used it everyday for commuting and weekend rides, its very stable at speed too.

I don't care about how quiet helmets are because I either wear ear bud headphones or ear plugs when I go riding. The RF1100 vents very well and fits heads that tend to have a round shape.

Plus you have a lever to lock the visor down or you can push it all the way forward to crack the visor a tiny bit.

I bought my fiance a scorpion EXO 400 and its a great helmet for the money, very comfortable and pretty quiet.

anything, as long as it has a Welsh Dragon on it.

003-3.jpg

Nothing beats an Arai, but if my Shark RSF3 wasnt so hot in the summer, it would come close. I miss my Nolan as well. (left it in NL)

• Member Contributer

C

I didn't write things down.........it was just a quick test, but I remember dB's in the 92 - 95 range at roughly

65 mph. That was higher than I was expecting and is a damn good argument for ear plugs. The next time

I'll try to control as many variables as possible, like tucking the meter behind my back (inside the jacket) so

the tubing (although I did have foam pipe insulation on it) isn't affected by the wind..........and testing on a

perfectly calm day on roads with no traffic. The high dB's are probably as much a result of my height and

the stock windscreen on the 4th gen as it is the helmets. The comparison is more telling than the dB's.

A really interesting test would be various helmets and various windscreens.......but there's no fargin way

I have the patience for that!

I just got a Scorpion EXO-1000 Apollo and have worn for about 650 miles. Size - large (same as my - HJC CL-12) and is tighter when putting on/taking off, and a bit more snug when wearing - but very close to the HJC. I really like the retractable inner sunhade and have swapped the original light smoke for a dark smoke. It has inflatable cheek pads (with finger pump) to conform more to your face, but mine gradually deflates, which is no big deal as I don't really need that feature. The visor seals well and has a lever which will either lock it closed or hold slightly open for additional air. Lots of vents, but I don't notice much difference (probably will on hotter days). It doesn't seem any quieter/louder than my CL-12. The graphics are even better in person than the picture shows and it is a great match for my bike - 07 RW&B.

post-22239-0-06557800-1301538693_thumb.j

All helmets are good, but it's whatever fits your melon best.

I have used Shoei helmets for many years, crash tested them more than once and here to tell about it!

My friend was in the retail business so I got to try on many helmets, bough a few but nothing fits me like a Shoei.

Still, recently I had to retire my RF900 due to age and got Arai RX7 (it was free!) also bought XD3 to go with my KTM,

couple days days after XD arrived I face-planted in some fine Vermont dirt, my face did better than the rest of me (some broken bones)

Both Shoei and Arai will do a free inspection of your helmet if you send it back to them, XD3 came back from Arai about a week later with a clean bill of health,

also they sent me new visor mounts for my RX7, so I have to give them props for excellent customer service!

I have HJC it's a fine lid but it does not fit me as well, good enough for short city rides but after half hour I just want to throw it away!

Tried on a Scorpion but after couple minutes it was getting really uncomfortable, have friends that absolutely love theirs... all depends on the shape of you head

What I'm trying to say is that it's very important to try on your new lid before you by it, having a local brick and mortar place is a big advantage

also once you do find a place to try a helmet do support it by spending money instead of trying to save a buck on the web cause without your support they might not be there tomorrow...

I'm looking for a full-face helmet, not a shortie, flip-up, etc. Comfort, good visibility, good venting are important. I usually buy plain white or yellow for visibility, but I'm not opposed to tasteful graphics (I'm not a screaming skulls with snakes coming out the eye holes kind of guy--no offence to those who are ... ). Any recommendations, pointers to screaming deals (though not, as stated, screaming skulls :biggrin:), greatly appreciated.

I'm the kind of guy who hates graphics all over a helmet, I want a helmet in one bright solid color so it is visually as large as possible

I have had a 4 brands of helmets over the years, and the last 2 that I bought were both Shoei, and honestly, I don't ever see myself in any other helmet

I just bought last year a Shoei RF-1100 to replace my RF-800

It was also last year that I bought my VFR, and I wanted the new helmet before I got the bike, but, yikes, what color do I buy because I don't know what color the bike will be... :biggrin:

I knew I wanted a 2000-2001 VFR, so it would be red or yellow, I do color corrections for a living so color matching has to be perfect for me

I knew if I got a 2000 VFR, there would be no way a yellow helmet would match it, and same for a 2001, no red helmet would be a perfect match

Oh no, what the heck do I do?????

I just love the orange, it looks just great with the yellow, it's a real eye catcher, and it would have looked great with a red 2001 also

I say go Shoei, they have lots of bright solid colors to choose from

post-18739-0-66278300-1301576768_thumb.j

Oh, one other thing

I knew what brand and model I was buying, and at some point you will too

Then it comes to size and price

I went online and found the absolute lowest price, and printed that out

I went into my local bike shop and tried on their Shoei helmets and figured out the size

Then I asked the parts manager, will you order this specific helmet in for me, and will you match this online price

They guy looked at the laser I had brought of the helmet online and said, I can order it and have it here in 4 to 5 days, and I'll beat that price by 10%

Needless to say, I bought the helmet from my local bike shop

As I recall I got the RF-1100 Solid for about $235.00

Archived