Corbin Vs Sargent seats

Guest GrayBeard

Guest GrayBeard

Hey all, I think I have sealed the deal on my new to me ride of a 2008 VFR. I have a question for the group regarding seats. I am thinking I will be changing seats to either a Sargent or a Corbin. Can anybody give me their opinion on which is the better seat? I'm leaning towards the Corbin because I can add the backrest for my wife and the Sargent doesn't look like you can add that.

Thanks,

Can anybody give me their opinion on which is the better seat?

My bottom prefers Corbin... I've had three Corbins in the past and liked them a lot, and I have a Sergeant on my Aprilia, which I'm not happy with.

i believe they are both good. i think the issue is:

1. do you want integral back rest? go corbin

2. Sargent has a flat shape and the corbin is a bowl shape. which fits your rear?

i had a corbin, but it cut off the circulation to my legs. i switched with Vecky5 who had a sargent, but didnt like it. he was happier with the corbin and my rear liked the sargent.

I've had both and liked them both, but for my butt, the Sargent is more comfortable for longer rides. In your case the Corbin is the one with the back rest. But there's a 3rd choice..

In the last week or so, there was someone from Downunder that posted a seat that looked better and also looked like it would be more comfortable. Might do a search.... I'll look into it later, I'm working on my suspension right now.

I searched to no avail.......... it might have been in another category, but I couldn't find it.

• Member Contributer

My bike had a Sargent on it when I bought it. I did 2,600 miles on it last summer and didn't think twice about the seat--which means it's great! I haven't ridden the stock seat or the Corbin on the VFR. I do have a Corbin on my DR650 and it's a vast improvement (probably the best farkle for that bike if you ride any distance). If the backrest is a big factor, I'm sure the Corbin would work for you.

The couple of Corbin's I've sat on feel like rocks. My Sargent is firm but comfy. Sargent is also covered in marine grade vinyl and the marine grade foam inside is sealed to prolong life of the foam in wetter conditions. For the money, comfort, and all weather durability I went with Sargent. Of course if the backrest is really that important to you (being built into the seat) Corbin is the only game in town. If you want to add a top case or at least some bracketry to the pillion handle mounting points you could make a backrest and buy whatever seat you want though.

• Member Contributer

I've had a Corbin for my FJ and it was comfortable enough, but it weighed a ton because of the heavy plastic/fiberglass base, and the base broke in two after a couple of years.

The stock seat for the VFR killed me so I got the Sargent and am very happy with both fit and quality of fit/finish. Granted the Corbin was for a different bike, but IMO Sargent makes the better quality seat. My opinion, and everyone has one.

One further note: I got the Corbin Gunfighter and Lady for the FJ because it came with the back rest. However I wanted a backrest for the VFR and bought a backrest/luggage rack from Sargent before they quit making them. Also a quality item.

• Member Contributer

Changing to either brand will be a huge improvement from stock. I had a Sargent on my prior 5th gen. Excellent quality, fit well and was very comfortable. Between VFR's, rode a R1200s and the only seat available for it was a Corbin. My experience with that product and customer service was so good, I went Corbin again for my 07 rwb. I love the backrest option, and quality, fit and comfort (for me) has been excellent. Construction methods are different between the two brands. Corbin uses a heavier pan, with rivetted constuction. It's more of a bucket shape, comes standard with leather cover and has the option for the backrest. Corbins are slow to break in, and they are stone hard. However, once broken in the combined materiel support your backside really well for the long haul. Also, leather is definitely a fantastic material for the seat as long as you maintain it. My thoughts are that if you are more of the Sport equation, a Sargent is probably better as it has a better profile for sport riding. For longer distance or more touring sport, the Corbin gets my vote. Both are Excellent. Tough decision! :fing02:

I have had a Sargent on my bike for 3 years now and would never go back. I have sat on both and for me at 5' 11' , 185 lbs I found the Sargent the more comfortable by far. The Sargent is almost half the weight of the Corbin as well. Everyone is different when it comes to saddles. Try both if you can before you buy and pick the most comforable for you.

Kiel

The only one who can tell you which seat is best is your AZZ, one seat with fit your body type far better than the other so no one hear can tell you which would work best.

Now if you want to rate companies, Corbin has the Worst CS in the World and Sargent is good. :blush:

I would recommend finding someone (member) in your area that might let you switch seats with the while riding together to Feel for yourself and try both before you buy if you can!

BR

• Member Contributer

Hello fellow BCer. Haven't ever tried a Sargent but I do have a Corbin and really like it. I've never felt it is too hard, even after riding over 700 km a day.

for me, two words: Sargent.

Every Corbin I have ever had has developed a tear in the seam and then turned into a water carrying butt sponge. Also, I replaced a Corbin with a stock seat on mt K100RS and it was miles better. I have a Sargent on my 5th gen and it was the best mod by far.

Also: Why am I a Sergeant, but I sit on a Sargent?

• Member Contributer

I have a Sargent seat on my 6th Gen and a Corbin on my 3rd Gen and I like them both. The biggest difference I see between the two is that the Corbin feels more firm and provides better support. Also the Sargent seat doesn't feel as well constructed as the Corbin but it is definately more comfortable in my opinion. I'm sure someone here in the forum will let you test their seat out before you order one.

Rollin

Hey all, I think I have sealed the deal on my new to me ride of a 2008 VFR. I have a question for the group regarding seats. I am thinking I will be changing seats to either a Sargent or a Corbin. Can anybody give me their opinion on which is the better seat? I'm leaning towards the Corbin because I can add the backrest for my wife and the Sargent doesn't look like you can add that.

Thanks,

Thanks everybody. The bike I will be buying has a Corbin on it so I guess I'll see how I like it. I wasn't going to upgrade the seat right away anyhow but now I guess I get the upgrade anyhow!

Archived