What am I trying to correct?

CornerCarver

• Member Contributer

Of course Seb! Ben's dad may be able to help out.

He has been ill recently and hasn't had a chance to look over the drawings yet but with 102 days before I head to TxMac i am hoping for some good news from Ben soon.

got it Kev...I will talk to you tomorrow.

• Member Contributer

Get Tony Foale's suspension analysis program (BLS has one...) and plug in your numbers, then. You will probably have to raise the rear ride height a bit to adjust for the increased trail. You will end up with slightly steeper rake than stock.

There's actually quite a lot you can do with the demo version of the Tony Foale program (and the instructional videos that go with it)...

www.tonyfoale.com/suskin/MotorcycleSetup.zip

www.tonyfoale.com/tutorials/mc_setup/

Give them a whirl--and if you like what you see, order the registration key!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

FedEx update...my forks just arrived at the processing center in Kennesaw, scheduled out for delivery tomorrow. :cool:

• Member Contributer

Get Tony Foale's suspension analysis program (BLS has one...) and plug in your numbers, then. You will probably have to raise the rear ride height a bit to adjust for the increased trail. You will end up with slightly steeper rake than stock.

There's actually quite a lot you can do with the demo version of the Tony Foale program (and the instructional videos that go with it)...

www.tonyfoale.com/suskin/MotorcycleSetup.zip

www.tonyfoale.com/tutorials/mc_setup/

Give them a whirl--and if you like what you see, order the registration key!

Ciao,

Thanks for the additional info. I will goof around with the demo this weekend and let you know how it turns out.

• Member Contributer

Here's the Concours 14 controls. Not exactly what I was hoping to see. Might still fit your forks with the ZX lower, but not the direction you were thinking...

gallery_913_274_16054.jpg

122_0711_34_z+kawasaki_concours_14+gauges.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks again for coming by and helping with the fit up. Your parts (and your help) were invaluable. :fing02:

I wish I had thought to snap a few pics of the mock up with your triples and front wheel in place... :huh:

Let me know when you get ready to bolt up and I will be available to help.

• Member Contributer

Yeah my rear is a little higher, I am back from the show in Orlando and looking to gather some parts....SP1 Lower and upper? What do you think after measuring it with me Kevin?

• Member Contributer

Got a lead with Ben (Talldrinkofwater) here and he may have some good news soon, fingers crossed.

Keith, you WERE planning to keep me in the loop on this, right?

My project $$ loop is drained but still I'd be interested in any custom triples to fit the RC forks. Currently running the SP1 triple and would like to go back to the original geometry with some custom parts if possible!

• Member Contributer

Yeah my rear is a little higher, I am back from the show in Orlando and looking to gather some parts....SP1 Lower and upper? What do you think after measuring it with me Kevin?

Seems like it will work.

Also I was wrong about handlebar diameters. Of course they are the same L-R!

I stuck some SP-1 stock bars on mine, but swapped L-R and flipped.

gallery_913_5664_1074580.jpg

controls.JPG

• Member Contributer

Investigating a set of these My link

now...if the eccentric in the top and bottom can be "reversed to bring the front wheel back under the bike...

• Member Contributer

I think it's possible you're making it more difficult than it needs to be. But then, what do I know? lol

In any case, I'm expecting a pair of VFR 1200 clip ons to arrive this week. Let me know if you'd like to see how they fit.

My link

Anyone over there who may help with any knowledge of the company? Any VFRD'ers with experience with them?

If you're asking if it is a reputable company, the answer is yes. I have no personal experience with them but a lot of the riders in the national competitions use their products.

My link

Anyone over there who may help with any knowledge of the company? Any VFRD'ers with experience with them?

They are located a little more than an hour from where I lie, and they have pretty good customer service. I talked to one of the factory reps at the InterMot show n cologne this past November about getting a custom set of rear sets, and they said no poblem, just call for an appointment, and they'll see what they can do. They have pretty high quality stuff. As far as clip-ons are concerned, I got mine from www.oncycles.com. I think that they were made for a Hayabusa, but they fit really well. As far as the steering geometery goe, I have CBR 954 forks with the gull wing top triple clamp. Yes, the forks are shorter, and will quicken up the steering quite a bit. I hve had my VFR to 165 mph (indicated, not accurate) on the track, and did not have any high speed stability issues. The mod is definitely well worth it in my opinion. There are so many different ways to solve the few issues that come up, such as clip-ons, that you can almost do anything that your pocketbook will allow!!!

Has anyone ever tried to use Ducati triples? At least 848/1098 models have an offset of 36 mm that would create a lot less trail compared to the 929/RC51 triples. Of course the fork tube diameter don't match being they're 53/53mm top/bottom for the base models and 53/56mm for 1098S/R models. The upper triple is even gullwing design. The steering stem would probably need to be changed but I guess they could be made to work. But they're readily available because it seems that a change to 27mm or 30mm offset triples seems to be the hot ticket for the Duc.

So anyone?

• Member Contributer

If the Duc triples work with just a change of the steering stem, then I will squirt a few tears for you. I turned down an amazing buy on a set of Ohlins forks for a 1098 because the clamp diamters were so different that I didn't think I would be able to find proper triples, stems bearings etc...

If the Duc triples work with just a change of the steering stem, then I will squirt a few tears for you. I turned down an amazing buy on a set of Ohlins forks for a 1098 because the clamp diamters were so different that I didn't think I would be able to find proper triples, stems bearings etc...

I don't think I'll be trying this myself, at least in the near future since I'm running VTR forks with CBR919RR calipers and I'm very happy with them. Sure I would like USD forks but inspection laws here would make it hard to get the USD forks passed. Not impossible though but the donor bike must be heavier than the VFR. I just thought that the Duc triples (and forks) might be an option worth thinking about for someone making the conversion.

I found another great option for triples that maintains the stock geometry for someone running RC51 forks or other long enough forks. The triples of a CB600F '05 onwards, offset is 40mm and tube diameters 50/54mm as they should be. The stock parts might be a little hard to come by but here you can buy complete triples with superbike bar mounts:

http://www.imasrl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=7〈=en

It's the "TRIPLE CLAMPS MODEL 3" when you scroll down the page. You'd have the choice to run clipons by removing the bar mounts or use them with the bar bend of your choice. Considering this price does not seem too bad, don't know about shipping though. Atleast if you're considering making custom triples to maintain original VFR geometry.

Edited by FinnRC36

I don't think I'll be trying this myself, at least in the near future since I'm running VTR forks with CBR919RR calipers and I'm very happy with them. Sure I would like USD forks but inspection laws here would make it hard to get the USD forks passed. Not impossible though but the donor bike must be heavier than the VFR. I just thought that the Duc triples (and forks) might be an option worth thinking about for someone making the conversion.

I found another great option for triples that maintains the stock geometry for someone running RC51 forks or other long enough forks. The triples of a CB600F '05 onwards, offset is 40mm and tube diameters 50/54mm as they should be. The stock parts might be a little hard to come by but here you can buy complete triples with superbike bar mounts:

http://www.imasrl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=7〈=en

It's the "TRIPLE CLAMPS MODEL 3" when you scroll down the page. You'd have the choice to run clipons by removing the bar mounts or use them with the bar bend of your choice. Considering this price does not seem too bad, don't know about shipping though. Atleast if you're considering making custom triples to maintain original VFR geometry.

I thought the Hornet used the CBR600RR 48mm forks? Hmm. Off to google...