What am I trying to correct?

CornerCarver

I don't think I'll be trying this myself, at least in the near future since I'm running VTR forks with CBR919RR calipers and I'm very happy with them. Sure I would like USD forks but inspection laws here would make it hard to get the USD forks passed. Not impossible though but the donor bike must be heavier than the VFR. I just thought that the Duc triples (and forks) might be an option worth thinking about for someone making the conversion.

I found another great option for triples that maintains the stock geometry for someone running RC51 forks or other long enough forks. The triples of a CB600F '05 onwards, offset is 40mm and tube diameters 50/54mm as they should be. The stock parts might be a little hard to come by but here you can buy complete triples with superbike bar mounts:

http://www.imasrl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=7〈=en

It's the "TRIPLE CLAMPS MODEL 3" when you scroll down the page. You'd have the choice to run clipons by removing the bar mounts or use them with the bar bend of your choice. Considering this price does not seem too bad, don't know about shipping though. Atleast if you're considering making custom triples to maintain original VFR geometry.

I thought the Hornet used the CBR600RR 48mm forks? Hmm. Off to google...

I thought I saw the dimensions Ø50/54mm somewhere on the net but I can't for the life of me remember where. I looked into it a bit now and it seems that you might be right. Allthough I did find one source saying the 600RR had Ø50mm clipons but that's just probably wrong information.

Yeah my rear is a little higher, I am back from the show in Orlando and looking to gather some parts....SP1 Lower and upper? What do you think after measuring it with me Kevin?

Are you willing to share some of these measurements? I am looking into this swap myself but did not find trustworthy info. I found fork length numbers of 745mm and 750mm, fork spacing 215mm. Also did you measure the fork offset of the Kawa triples?

• Member Contributer

I will share any information that I can measure and quantify for my VFRD brethren.

I am in Chicago training for my new job now but will be home late this week (in time to go to the MC Show in Greenville this weekend).

As soon as I get a price for the Gilles triples and steering stem and confirm that I want the ones for an RC51 SP1 I will be able to take all of the measurements that anyone wants.

My rear brake assembly is on the way. It is an RC51 master, braided stainless line, caliper, and hanger bracket for less than the cost of the braided line new. :fing02:

I am still looking for a donor Ducati rear axle to cut and fit as well as a set of 848 wheels....a different bracket will need to be fabbed to connect the rear caliper but I am hopeful.

I will post up my fork length when I get back. And order the springs and Racetech gold valves for the forks...busy 83 days until I show up for TxMac....prolly have to rock the old school paint and get that done at the end of the season this year.

Kevin is doing a great job on his, might have to steal his VFR1200 clip on idea.

I will share any information that I can measure and quantify for my VFRD brethren.

I am in Chicago training for my new job now but will be home late this week (in time to go to the MC Show in Greenville this weekend).

Thanks :fing02: This weekend tere is a big MC show here also, maybe bring my tape measure and notebook with me :biggrin:

Kevin is doing a great job on his, might have to steal his VFR1200 clip on idea.

+1, his topic is on my watch list too.

• Member Contributer

+1, his topic is on my watch list too.

Ha, the 1200 clip ons idea has been my only original thought so far! And I wasn't alone in it, just first to get some to try out. ;)

Has anyone ever tried to use Ducati triples? At least 848/1098 models have an offset of 36 mm that would create a lot less trail compared to the 929/RC51 triples. Of course the fork tube diameter don't match being they're 53/53mm top/bottom for the base models and 53/56mm for 1098S/R models. The upper triple is even gullwing design. The steering stem would probably need to be changed but I guess they could be made to work. But they're readily available because it seems that a change to 27mm or 30mm offset triples seems to be the hot ticket for the Duc.

So anyone?

According to Allballs racing website (http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconvertion) the Duc top and bottom bearing ID is 35mm where as the VFR uses Ø30/26 bearings. And also looking at pics of the triples it doesn't look too difficult to install the VFR stem to the Duc lower triple with a simple spacer. Also the top would require a spacer or a special Duc style top nut to be made. Nothing that couldn't be done with a lathe. Just something to think about.

• Member Contributer

Exchanging emails with Patrick about the CB600F triples and stem....looks like I have found my stock geometry triples for roughly half of what I was minutes away from droppng on the Gilles units!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are not as nice as the Gilles units but that saves me $700 to put towards the 848 wheels and rear axle... :fing02:

Exchanging emails with Patrick about the CB600F triples and stem....looks like I have found my stock geometry triples for roughly half of what I was minutes away from droppng on the Gilles units!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are not as nice as the Gilles units but that saves me $700 to put towards the 848 wheels and rear axle... :fing02:

Gilles wants $1400 for that triple set?

Even worse, Honda wants $700 for a set of Hornet triples?? :comp13:

• Member Contributer

Gilles US distributor wouldn't work with me on pricing, their current price for the RC51 adjustable upper and lower triples with the steering stem was quoted at $1,383 USD. I was drafting my ok to order email when I clicked on the link Finn36 had psoted and contacted that group. They are cutting the triples with 40 mm of offset and 50/54mm diameter so it is not quite stock CB600F but they are working through the details with me. I should be able to order when I get home from Chicago on Friday and then it is about 4 business days to delivery.

I can hardly wait. I was agonizing over the issue of running non-stock geometry and now I will not have to do that. :bliss:

I may even pop for the Carrozerria wheels now. :fing02:

Gilles US distributor wouldn't work with me on pricing, their current price for the RC51 adjustable upper and lower triples with the steering stem was quoted at $1,383 USD. I was drafting my ok to order email when I clicked on the link Finn36 had posted and contacted that group. They are cutting the triples with 40 mm of offset and 50/54mm diameter so it is not quite stock CB600F but they are working through the details with me. I should be able to order when I get home from Chicago on Friday and then it is about 4 business days to delivery.

I can hardly wait. I was agonizing over the issue of running non-stock geometry and now I will not have to do that. :bliss:

So they cut the triples to diameters specified by the customer as long as they are within the range? From the pics on their site it seems they do anodizing also? Just checking since I never contacted them about details myself. Do you have the final price for them already. Delivery from Italy in just 4 days after ordering, man they're fast! Do post pics when you get them :fing02:

Are you sure the CB600F Hornet triples are a match for your forks? The Hornet has 41mm USD fork and your's is a 43mm.

Are you sure the CB600F Hornet triples are a match for your forks? The Hornet has 41mm USD fork and your's is a 43mm.

As far as clamping the USD forks in the triples, it doesn't matter what the tube size is. What matters for fit in the trees is the outside diameter of the sliders(the fixed upper part).

Gilles US distributor wouldn't work with me on pricing, their current price for the RC51 adjustable upper and lower triples with the steering stem was quoted at $1,383 USD. I was drafting my ok to order email when I clicked on the link Finn36 had psoted and contacted that group. They are cutting the triples with 40 mm of offset and 50/54mm diameter so it is not quite stock CB600F but they are working through the details with me. I should be able to order when I get home from Chicago on Friday and then it is about 4 business days to delivery.

What made you change your mind about getting some made? To outsource those files I sent you would have cost $600-700 for one set, nevermind that it would have been lower for the minimum of three that we could have made? Guess I'm on my own once again with that.

• Member Contributer

You are correct. The CB600F is a smaller diameter USD clamping area than the forks I am using. Patrick at I.M.A. can bore the clamp diameter to the 50/54mm specs needed with no issues. He has even found a set of tapered bearings to suplly instead of the ball bearings that they provide as an option.

The stem diameter upper and lower is 26 mm and 30 mm respectively. Will my VFR all balls tapered bearings work for this?

pics and dimensions next week for the forks...

You are correct. The CB600F is a smaller diameter USD clamping area than the forks I am using. Patrick at I.M.A. can bore the clamp diameter to the 50/54mm specs needed with no issues. He has even found a set of tapered bearings to suplly instead of the ball bearings that they provide as an option.

The stem diameter upper and lower is 26 mm and 30 mm respectively. Will my VFR all balls tapered bearings work for this?

pics and dimensions next week for the forks...

Your bearings will work as those are the exact dimensions of the VFR stem and I also checked that the CB600F has the same stem bearings as VFR.

As far as clamping the USD forks in the triples, it doesn't matter what the tube size is. What matters for fit in the trees is the outside diameter of the sliders(the fixed upper part).

I know, but expect them to be closely related with the (wall) thicknes of the slider bushing and outer tubes being equal.

I looked at both the cb600f and cb1000r triples today and they look very similar. The cb1000r does have the bigger 43mm fork tubes. Both 600 and 1000 have the same rake and trail figures.

cb600f.jpgcb1000r.jpg

The cb1000r has a beefier lower triple. Maybe the stem length is a bit longer than that of the VFR. The length of the neck is about 205mm.

• Member Contributer

What made you change your mind about getting some made? To outsource those files I sent you would have cost $600-700 for one set, nevermind that it would have been lower for the minimum of three that we could have made? Guess I'm on my own once again with that.

Sebastian, I missed this post ealier today before work.

Co$t made me change my mind.

Of the 5 places I contacted to bid the upper and lower machine work, 3 replied. One could only do the upper ($800) and the other two wanted either "about $2600 deoending on how much programming time" to $3600 for the CNC programming and a sample set of parts.

Patrick at IMA has been a pleasure to communicate with and since I don't need the CB600F risers my final qoute due tomorrow should come in right at $600 including tpaered bearing, steering stem and shipping. :biggrin:

If these prove out then we have found a ready source of USD triples with proper geometry at a reasonable cost, and a qty discount may be available if some enterprising VFRD memebers decides that USD fork kits is a niche to be filled :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Got an email from Patrick at IMA this morning. Said they shipped my upper and lower triples, steering stem and that he had sourced a tapered bearing for the lower since I passed on his ball bearing standard. He asked me to let him know when I received them and what my thoughts were.

I replied that I am leaving for Vegas soon and although I could let him know when they arrived I wouldn't be home to see them or mock up the mounting until next Friday.

37 minutes later the doorbell rings...FedEx...

pics to follow. :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Well, here we go, no turning back now.

The package left Italy on Tuesday of this week...

gallery_7288_5795_6203.jpg

2011-03-03_10-19-48_51.jpg

and arrived at my door Thursday before 1030 AM.

I was a little anxious.

gallery_7288_5795_692360.jpg

2011-03-03_10-20-36_472.jpg

everything looked good inside.

gallery_7288_5795_336562.jpg

2011-03-03_10-20-49_772.jpg

Stock VFR geometry in a 50/54 USD fork set of triples...

gallery_7288_5795_1349056.jpg

2011-03-03_10-20-58_930.jpg

A little packaging gave it's life to protect the contents, nothing scatched or marked on the triples.

gallery_7288_5795_290834.jpg

2011-03-03_10-22-37_530.jpg

Patrick even included the tapered bearing and seal for the lower...I have to decide whether to re-use my all balls upper or source another just for the upper.

gallery_7288_5795_280684.jpg

2011-03-03_10-22-52_19.jpg

The lower with the styo-beads from the packaging still clinging to it, one last chance at relevance before I grab the airhose and blast the beads into obscurity. :biggrin:

gallery_7288_5795_1527878.jpg

2011-03-03_10-23-09_875.jpg

I know the issue was raised earlier about whether the CB600F triples (with a non-standard bore of 50/54 mm) would be sturdy enough for the heavy VFR800...I think the above pic answers that question.

I will also post up some pix of themock up later this weekend when i get a minute and before I drop my forks at Traxxion Dynamics for the gold valves and re-spring...

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Three Cheers for IMA and Patrick and for Finn36 who suggested I take a look at what they had to offer....

Cool! They sure do look beefy!

How's the stem attach, I assume it's bolted in vs press fit?

I see they left the holes for the bar risers in the upper, did you have the option to have them omitted?

• Member Contributer

Real beefy, the bottom has 4 bolts for clamping. I told Patrick that I didn't need the bar risers and he deducted them from the cost.

The stem I am still undecided on. It appears to be solid. There is no hole in the top or bottom and it must have been pressed in. No place for a powerlet outlet in the stem now.

I just mounted my ignition to the top triple and set one of these in place...

gallery_7288_2662_13186.jpg

ZX14.jpg

Looks great. So much to do still...I can have the forks mocked up this weekend but without a front wheel to fit nothing more so I think I am dropping my forks in Woodstock tomorrow to leave with those guys...