I've Changed Teams

enzed_viffer

Yup. After my nearly 10-year relationship with Avon, I'm now riding for on Michelin. Got my first ever Michelin a few weeks ago (Pilot Road 2) and today, after a crappy ride on my near-new Avon Storm, I went into my local tyre dealer and had a Pilot Power fitted to the front. Kinda dumb, I guess, as it was a waste of a couple of hundred UnZud ShekelDollars, but even after my brief ride home (and a few turns around traffic islands, dead-end streets, etc.) it just felt so much more betterer.

Thanx to all those who posted in the forums over the years about how great these tyres/tires/tahrs are : I finally stopped :beatdeadhorse: and paid attention to your sage advice. :goofy:

In America, when someone says they've "changed teams", that's slang meaning they've switched their sexual orientation.

Just to let you know.... should you start getting some strange PMs.

http://www.urbandict...=switch%20teams

I am Aussie and that was my first thought when I read the title, however, that may say more about my personality than my nationality blink.gif

• Member Contributer

The only Avon I have experience with is " Skin So Soft".......

No, I have not changed to the other team....

it is a great repellant against midgies... :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Michelin's sux!!! :dry:

:laughing6-hehe:

Always the trouble maker BaileyRock!

I just got a new PP2CT rear in yesterday from TwoBrothers tires to replace an almost new one that I picked up a puncture at the end of last season...unsuccessfully plugged I might add...just won't hold air.

]

• Member Contributer

You have now been given the gift of Confidence.

Use this new found power for the good of mankind, helping the stupid become less stupid, kissing hands and shaking babies, creating a the next generation of, super livestock. Help paint the planet a brighter color green with little or no lead additives. Shave pounds of a bad economy and raise taxes less than in the past.

(If you haven't noticed I have no idea where this is going)

Bring back the classics make them brand new to listen to over and over and over seas over bridges and even Jeff Bridges.

:laughing6-hehe:

Are you still reading this?

I like your choice of tires :fing02:

Hey Ian, why not hold out for another week and be the first to give us a review of the PR3? :happy:

D'oh!

Didn't know they wuz comin'out. :blush: I had a choice of the Power (NZ$245), a Power 2CT ($255), a Road ($235), Road 2 ($285), Pilot Power Pure ($255, and very tempting), Pilot Sport ($219), Power One ($279), and all the race tyres.

Anyway, so far, I LIKE the Pilot Power on the front. Weird thing is, the profile looks almost identical to the Storm, yet the handling is quite noticeably different, with it being quicker to start tipping into a turn. Something I'd got used to on the Storm, but won't miss, is the tyre wandering at low speeds. I suspect it was tread steer, or somesuch, but it was quite disconcerting at first, with the front wheel doing a slow and slight slalom from side to side.

It took AGES for the tyre techs to fit the tyre (which they did for free, and didn't charge me the usual disposal fee either). I don't usually wash the VFR, and it had a huge build up of brake dust on and around the calipers, so while they had the front wheel off, the cleaned them for me.

Interesting places, bike shops. This one is pretty big, and has a workshop / tyre bay downstairs, with a case full of goodies like Carrozzeria wheels at a mere $5000 a set or so; a Hyosung shop next to that; upstairs is a showroom full of accessories, a cafe, and loads of gear (helmets, boots, jackets, pants, etc etc.)

But the people that hang out are weird - bikers are a funny lot. There was someone with a wrecked scooter, two other guys getting tyres (one on a FXR150, the other on some adventure bike). The guy on the adventure bike needed my assistance to start it: the stater solenoid/relay had burnt out, and it was such a weird model that he'd had to order one at $100 or so. In the meantime, he was starting it by shorting the terminals on the left side where the relay would normally be under a side cover, using a jumper wire and lotsa sparks, while I gave it a little throttle. The guy on the FXR150 seemed a little embarrased/overawed by all the bigger bikes lurking in the workshop, until the owner started talking to him, telling him what a great bike they were, and how popular they were for racing.

The tech on the counter was a bit surprised when I told him my manky looking bike was more than it seemed, with all sorts of hidden goodies: Racetech/Ohlins bits in the forks, the Elka in the back, EvoStar shifter kit, Power Commander under the seat, modified airfilter, etc etc blah blah blah (probably thinking, "I wish I'd never asked... wish he'd shut the fook up!")

• Forum CEO

If you like the quicker dipping falling into corner style stick with powers on the front the pr2 front is a bit more effort for that but just as good for traction, I have never had a road 2 step out on me for no reason, always just the stuff all tires slip on, wet painted lines, gravel, leaves, dirt and mud. I hated the dunnies that came on the veefalo, they would hop and squeel just gassing out of a tight corner! I thought I was really riding them hard till I put on some pr2s on the same bike - rode them much harder and they lasted 2k more miles and never once complained on the gas like the roadsmarts did.

• Member Contributer

If you like the quicker dipping falling into corner style stick with powers on the front the pr2 front is a bit more effort for that but just as good for traction, I have never had a road 2 step out on me for no reason, always just the stuff all tires slip on, wet painted lines, gravel, leaves, dirt and mud. I hated the dunnies that came on the veefalo, they would hop and squeel just gassing out of a tight corner! I thought I was really riding them hard till I put on some pr2s on the same bike - rode them much harder and they lasted 2k more miles and never once complained on the gas like the roadsmarts did.

The only Dunlops I've heard good things about are the Q2's on the track...probably not enough treadlife for touring though.

The only Dunlops I've heard good things about are the Q2's on the track...probably not enough treadlife for touring though.

What kills me is that Dunlop Race tires lasted longer than any other track tire I've run, but their street tires wear out faster than any other! Maybe one day they'll figure out how to combine their track grip and durability in a street tire. :blush:

I just hope the new tires will help you avoid crashing and burning and dieing and repeating in the future. :biggrin:

Archived