PP/PR2 combo mileage

SEBSPEED

Well, I was hoping for more mileage than I got... just checked them tonight after a quick rip around town, and I'm on the wear bars. With only 2400 miles on them. :fing02:

To be fair, (and to painfully admit to my lack of riding last year), the first thousand was put on at last year's TMAC. Then July '09 rolled around, and I became absorbed in side work and shopping the mortgage for our house, as well as putting the new house up. I rode about another thousand last year, and have about 400 in so far this year.

I rode harder at the last TMAC than at my last trackday, so I'm sure I "broke them in" well during that time frame. I have a suspicion that the rest has been accelerated wear due to cold tearing, ie, tires not coming up to temp during the brief riding time I had last year and so far this year. I'm sure they'd last longer if I got to stay out longer and get them nice and hot.

Also, they wore a bit funny. They're still nice and round - that's not what I mean. I mean that the Power front is to the wear bars on the right side, and the rear is worn more on the left. KFC snacks are 1/16"-none on the front, none on the rear(either side). So the bike is setup properly, but how do I read this best? I get on the gas harder exiting lefts and come in hotter into right handers? I think I tend to run the front brakes deeper into rights, maybe that's it.

Time to order more and "gather more data" I suppose! :fing02:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shoot, I just realized I got more than that out of the last Diablos I had on the VFR - 2700... and those are pure sport tires. :fing02: Gotta be the cold tearing?

I'll throw up some pics in the am. :fing02:

That kind of sucks Seb, but there should be another 4-500 in them from the wear bars. What pressures were you running on the rear? The worst I've ever got from a PR2 rear was 3100 miles. :fing02:

Shoot, I just realized I got more than that out of the last Diablos I had on the VFR - 2700... and those are pure sport tires. :fing02: Gotta be the cold tearing?

I'll throw up some pics in the am. :fing02:

I think you screwed up your numbers! :beer:

Shoot, I just realized I got more than that out of the last Diablos I had on the VFR - 2700... and those are pure sport tires. :comp13: Gotta be the cold tearing?

I'll throw up some pics in the am. :laughing6-hehe:

I think you screwed up your numbers! :blink:

Nope, not at all. Running 36/42 except for the first ride this year - was so eager to roll out and FINALLY ride again that I didn't check and just took off! Felt like crap! That was only 30 miles or so, couldn't have had that much impact.

edit: When I had the Diablos I had more available time to ride, so the tires would warm up. When I say short rides, I mean i was lucky to find an hour to get out last year!

Also, I'd love to blame it on the wheelies, but they're worn on the side too. You'll see what I mean about the cold tear tomorrow in the pics, the tread on the rear just rolls right up into ridges. :laughing6-hehe: Had this happen a few times on other tires too, it isn't a PR2 issue, it's a "my rides are not long enough" issue.

• Member Contributer

you're such a squid.......I do believe I'm on ....ehem much softer tires with more miles,ok not to many more but still

6,000 on mine right now at the wear indicator bars with one year of riding. I'm going to run them down until they generally look unsafe.

What I am really liking out of the combination is the similar wear rate front to rear. Next set is in the garage right now ready to go on when I decide they're at that point.

Are you watching your pressures as good as you think you are?

• Member Contributer

Wow! 2400 on a Power front, eh? I can usually get 4K - 5K on a front even with my tonnage.

Definitely try another set for more "test data". :laughing6-hehe:

Front now well into the wear bars:

5-15-10001.jpg

The shady pic makes the rear tread look deeper than it is; look closely at the dark pic and you'll see there ain't much left.

5-15-10003.jpg

5-15-10002.jpg

New set will be here Tue-Wed this week, and I think I have a stunter friend in Jersey who's gonna buy these. $50 off my new tires!! :fing02:

looks like you have a small cut into the liner on that rear,

My front Ppwer tire was more worn than that , could still feel a slight dip at the wear bar with my finger nail, all though places on the sides were begiining to flush on the core. I was trying for another 400 mile. But I hit a set of train tracks and sliced a 1/4 inch cut all the way to the liner.

Too risky at that point to continue

I think you have another ride or 2, but not much left

That rear looks like another 1000 mile, I normally atleast go flush with the bars, most time go into ithem alittle, but never before its atleast flush or disappears.

• Member Contributer

I just mounted up this combo and have about 100 miles on them now. So far I really like the Power up front. I turns in way quicker and I am a happy camper. Mounted and balanced them myself with a Harbor Freight changer, Marc Parnes Mojo blocs, bar and balance rig.

That rear looks like another 1000 mile, I normally atleast go flush with the bars, most time go into ithem alittle, but never before its atleast flush or disappears.

No way there's 1000 miles left in that rear. :fing02: The PR2 rear doesn't have any wear bars! Oops! They do... I'm on them and they blended in! Sorry!

No way there's 1000 miles left in that rear. blink.gif The PR2 rear doesn't have any wear bars!

I'm sure if they didnt have bars ,Id have known after running a half dosen >G so I went out in the garage, the wear bars are about 1 inch from the tip of a crevice in the center. I typically run the tip flush with the core or close to it. I venture into the weabar before replacing.

I see alot of crevice left, course thats me not you >G<

not to flame that fire, but are they spanish or asian made?

Good question! They are both made in Spain.

What are you going to replace them with?

Have another set of the same on the way, should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I was going to say it was the :fing02: factor until you posted up the pics.

You should have at least another couple of thousand on the rear.....plenty of tread on the sides.... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Try the PP 2CT's...they worked great in Arkansas ...and the center is a harder compound than the sides! :fing02:

gallery_14545_4569_505210.jpg

IMG_2014.JPG

gallery_14545_4569_56305.jpg

IMG_2010.JPG

gallery_14545_4569_211210.jpg

IMG_2011.JPG

Try the PP 2CT's...they worked great in Arkansas ...and the center is a harder compound than the sides! :fing02:

The 2CT's are actually Pilot Powers with even softer rubber on the sides, aren't they? The PP/PR2 combo uses the same and/or "harder" rubber in the mid section.

• Member Contributer

I am just about to change my PP front and PR2 rear. I have 7500+ miles on both tires. I do mainly half day rides and distance rides and keep the tires air pressure to what it says on the tire. Not sure what happened to your tires Seb but that's strange.

Next up for me are a set of Pirelli Angel STs!

• Member Contributer

Something is definitely wrong here.

Based on my observations, your front should have no ware at all. :fing02:

Are you sure that no one sneaks your bike out for rides while you're at work?

Archived