What's your favorite tank bag?

Guest ddpemberton

Guest ddpemberton

I've been looking around, and I'm having trouble deciding. I think I actually kind of like the Icon Urban. Wouldn't ever use the stupid helmet holder, but I like the big side pouches....and I found a good deal on one in town. Let me know what you guys use.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I've been extremely happy with my Marsee 15L hardtop tank bag. I've got the magnetic version.

gallery_12878_5047_18398.jpg

gallery_12878_5047_19047.jpg

gallery_12878_5047_11182.jpg

• Member Contributer

I picked up a NR CL-350. Haven't had it on the VFR, but I plopped it on the katana. Holds well, and seems to be able to hold my M helmet. Back-pack-able if needed. I'll add more once I get a chance to try it this weekend.

• Member Contributer

Are you looking for something to travel with or for day ride use?

I've got a Joe Rocket manta, its great for the day trip stuff when I don't want to put the hard bags on.

Oh ya and they use an 06 VFR for their catalog model :cheerleader:

manta-tb.jpg

• Member Contributer

Check RKA Luggage. I have one of their tank bags and one of their seat bags. Excellent workmanship and a very knowledgeable and honest staff. :tour:

filterfool

• Member Contributer

Check RKA Luggage. I have one of their tank bags and one of their seat bags. Excellent workmanship and a very knowledgeable and honest staff. :tour:

filterfool

+1 on RKA. Plus their stuff is made in USA.

I actually have that Icon you speak of. I love it. It has held up very well for a few thousand miles. I love that it is a backpack and actually I've used the helmet holder thing. Looks funky when you use it but if you need it it works well. Seems built sturdy. I've had a bag 1/2 full of books, my riding pants hanging off the back and my helmet in the helmet holder and it still has held up very well. Doesn't have much or any organization. Just a big main pocket, clear pocket and two side pockets but it's worked extremely well for me.

• Member Contributer

Bagster (also called Baglux by some)

I run it on both bikes and cannot say enough about how great they are.

For longer trips I've got this--the Cortech Tri-bag. You con configure it anyway you like. I've had it for years and it's still going strong!

post-19840-127180896213.jpg

Cortech / Tourmaster. I have the magnetic 23 litre model and the bungee strap "sport" tail bag. The 23L might be to large for some tastes, however, it does zip down to a shorter profile and it holds A LOT of stuff, lots of pockets and sleeves, map holder, backup straps and dust / rain / sun cover, etc... They also make several smaller sizes. Mine has held up very well, it still looks as new, I have the bags going on 3 years. I use the tail bag when I commute on the bike. It holds my computer, work shoes, change of clothes, etc. It is a bit tricky to rig on the back of the VFR but well worth the fiddling. It has plenty of room and all the pockets and extras as well. I have a Cortech perforated leather jacket and pants set as well, also gloves, I really like the quality and value of their products.

I have 3 tank bags - an Icon Primer, Joe Rocket Manta and Marsee Mr. Pockets.

-The Primer is OK, but very limited. The rear facing pocket is nearly useless.

-The Manta is better but holds a little less. The circular rear facing pocket is terrific on this one.

-The Marsee is my daily commuter bag and easily my favorite. It's expandable, has 1 large pocket, 3 outside pockets plus a front clip-on pocket, and a clear map window. Mine is magnetic and not only has magnets in the flaps but also under the body of the bag. Though it seems a little loose (baggy, if you will) on the bike, it holds on well at triple-digit speeds. (Don't ask me how I know. wink.gif) I bought it from a fellow VFRD member. Here's a link to what it looks like: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/3241,74415_Mr-High-Pockets-Motorcycle-Tank-Bag-By-Marsee.html

• Member Contributer

Check RKA Luggage. I have one of their tank bags and one of their seat bags. Excellent workmanship and a very knowledgeable and honest staff. :fing02:

filterfool

+1 on RKA. Plus their stuff is made in USA.

+2 for the RKA tankbag. Quality stuff. I've had one for over 7 years and it still good as new, well, it doesn't look like new. :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

I have a 10 year old Wolfmans and it has been a great bag. Small enough for everyday use but can expand for a long weekend trip. I have this thing stuffed with sneakers, shorts, pair of jeans, hooded sweatshirt, soxes and underware.

The six magnets are strong enough to hold the bag in place with out moving.

Kind of looks like this one http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tank/express.html except the one I have had magnets

The only CON I found with my bag is the magnets are big, this makes it heavy to carry around.

• Member Contributer

I won't ride with a tank bag with the exception of a small one for getting my stuff to TMAC.

Tank bags prevent me from getting down and around on the gas tank when doing the twisties. Tail bags are safer in this regard. Provided a MD plain clothes cop doesn't pull his gun on ya.... :cheerleader:

I think I have owen almost every tankbag made in the last 30 years, but this one is my fave.

7686-425x350.jpg

thanks to twisted throttle for the photo, and thanks to Skuuter for selling it to me on the cheep.

• Member Contributer

For longer trips I've got this--the Cortech Tri-bag. You con configure it anyway you like. I've had it for years and it's still going strong!

post-19840-127180896213.jpg

:cheerleader:

I've done 10 days touring BC with just the essentials in mine. Great bag, and I love the way I can zip the big one off and the small one on in 60 seconds for a day ride. It's lasted for many, many tours over 6 years now and still is in perfect shape. Best luggage buy I ever made. It looks big in the picture below, and it is, but it really doesn't get in the way at all.

gallery_3463_423_43040.jpg

West end Lolo Pass

• Member Contributer

Picked up a used Joe Rocket 2 piece a few years ago. Bottom is super magnetig with a map window, sits about 3-4 inches high when stuffed.

Top section zips in, also has a map window, slopped back section and two small zip pouches.

The top section is now my dedicated tail pack, just perfect size for spair lense, tool kit, rain pants, flash light, stuff, gum, other stuff and stuff.

gallery_6587_3796_147327.jpg

Finshed, assembled and ridden

Sorry, can't find a tank bag pic.

I can also put a map back there for the guy behind me to know where I'm going and when I've made a wrong turn, while listening to Sally (the GPS witch).

All in all, for $30 bucks I've been very happy. I did learn that having an over height tank bag means no tucking in during high speeds, but does give a nice rest for your noggin on long, straight boring sections.

Also, will add that the magnetic is quick & easy to remove for fuel stops. Having just the bottom on the tank and top on the tail is the shizzle! Especially now with hardbaggs to take up the large loads for longer trips.

My favorite tank bag is actually a tail bag:

15404155-20090718_PalomarMountain_0.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

Some people probably say I carry around too much stuff, but this thing holds my tool kit, tire patch kit, air compressor, chain lube, microfiber cloth, heated liner, Honda polish and a few other things that I rarely leave the driveway without. My motto is the time I leave them at home is the time that I'll need them. So far I haven't needed the tools, patch kit, or compressor! If I am just riding around town and am not getting more than a few miles from home then I like my Cortech Super Mini tank bag

100_0077.jpg[/img]

SKU1319_1_lg.gif

It's just big enough to get your wallet, phone, keys and a few other small things in...

• Member Contributer

On the big ol' VFR gas tank, I enjoyed my Chase Harper Sport Tour 1560 tank bag.

11725.jpg

Positives:

• Big - lots of storage
  • Expandable main compartment - from medium sized to large-enough-to-hold-a-fullface-helmet.
  • Made in the US
  • Available in strap mount or magnetic.
  • Durable - I have Chase Harper saddlebags that I've had for 15 years.
  • Durable cont'd - and, if there's a problem, CH stands behind their stuff with a lifetime warranty.

Negatives:

• Expensive - but, divide the cost out over the number of years that you'll use this, and the cost-per-mile or cost-per-year is quite low.
  • Attractiveness - my brother liked it so much that I gave it to him (as it still looked new after 4-5 years of occasional use).

Thus, I am currently without a tankbag on the VFR.

Also, on my Hawk GT (with a narrower tank), I used an Eclipse Sportpack for years (1996-2009).

Positives:

• Fits very well on Hawk tank with stock handlebars.
  • Good amount of storage
  • Expandable secondary (top) compartment - from 1 medium sized compartment to 2 medium sized compartments.
  • Made in the US
  • Expensive - but, divide the cost out over the number of years that you'll use this, and the cost-per-mile or cost-per-year is quite low.
  • Durable - lasted 12 years before one of the seams came apart.

Negatives:

• Map pouch turned kind of yellow after several years of regular usage.
  • Neoprene tank pad started to tear after 10 years of service.
  • Not a lifetime warranty.

So, right now, I don't really have a tankbag "for" the Hawk. (I'm borrowing one at the moment - but it's not exactly what I want.)

If I had it to do all over again - I'd buy one of each of the exact same tankbags again, for the same reasons above.

(OR I'd consider buying the Bagster/Baglux that Terminex mentioned above.) (I'd get that one for the VFR.) (But I have no personal experience with their products. Aside from ordering an NT650 tank cover only to find that it was for a European NTV650 and would not fit on the Hawk.)

Ron

• Member Contributer

Great thread, since I'm probably going to be buying a bag in the next littl while. I'm still using a "Skookum Pack" made in Vancouver BC years ago (to give you an idea how long I've had it, the first bike it was on was an 1100E Suzuki!). I haven't seen them for sale for many years - too bad a durable, practical bag. It clips onto a base that straps onto the top of the tank. The base has a hole for the gas filler and does double duty as a tank protector when not using the bag. I have never had a magnetic bag. Anybody had any problems with them? Great pic Wawazat - many a fond memory of Lolo Pass - also remeber the motor home that was 2/3 in my lane on one of those hairpins near the top on the west side!!

• Member Contributer

I did a fair bit of research before buying, and I ended up with a Bags Connection "Sport" magnetic tank bag.

9086-425x350.jpg

15L, expandable to 22L. Removable external pouches, zip off magnetic base, rain cover, map pouch, etc.

Yeah, it was $169 US! But the quality in the materials and the SUPER tight stitching is there. I wish my VFR was as well built as that tank bag. But that's the German's for ya. :beer:

I picked up this CARGO Endurance Sport Tank bag from CycleGear, and I've been pretty happy with it. The contour of the bag makes it so that it won't poke you in the chest, and I use it everyday to hold my extra windshield, running shoes, and lunch. Its also expandable but I haven't tried it that way. I've taken it to Indianapolis a couple times, that and a backpack strapped to the tail makes plenty for a 3-4 day trip

cargo_endrncsport_tankbg_LG.jpg

Right now it's on sale for $35 too, hard to go wrong at that price

Edit: Camo bag is $35, black is still $70

Archived