What's your favorite tank bag?

Guest ddpemberton

• Member Contributer

I've had several. This Nelson-Rigg is my favorite. Nice size, not too big, not too small. Just right for riding around town. I think it looks great, following the lines of the bike nicely.

Nelson Rigg Silver Streak Magnetic Tank Bag

Plus, they show it on a VFR!

And here it is on my ride

post-9594-127185838494_thumb.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For longer trips I've got this--the Cortech Tri-bag. You con configure it anyway you like. I've had it for years and it's still going strong!

post-19840-127180896213.jpg

I have one of these as well, came with my bike, so I haven't had to look at what else is out there yet. It's great for commuting- I can get shoes, work pants, lunch and a set of Froggtogs in it, plus carry it like a backpack when I get where I'm going. The small top half is good for just running around with. Downside is the tank pad is ugly, but it also comes off quickly.

• Member Contributer

I think I have owen almost every tankbag made in the last 30 years, but this one is my fave.

7686-425x350.jpg

thanks to twisted throttle for the photo, and thanks to Skuuter for selling it to me on the cheep.

I have the tail bag version. It's well made and I like it mucho. I carry my gun on it attached with a quick-draw holster (J/K!)

• Member Contributer

I have never had a magnetic bag. Anybody had any problems with them?

I've never had a problem with my Marsee magnetic tank bag. I have electronics wired in. When I stop for gas, I just slide it to the side of the tank and let it hang there while filling up. Very convenient.

Are you looking for something to travel with or for day ride use?

I've got a Joe Rocket manta, its great for the day trip stuff when I don't want to put the hard bags on.

Oh ya and they use an 06 VFR for their catalog model :biggrin:

manta-tb.jpg

+1 on the Manta. I've had mine for a few years now.

The tank bag is expandable, as is the soft tail bag. Also both the tail bags attach by a strap that routes under the seat, so nothing touches the bike plastics. If you find you're self interested I'll dig up the links.

post-16535-127186665566_thumb.jpg

post-16535-127186676104_thumb.jpg

post-16535-127186682148_thumb.jpg

I'm also a fan of RKA (have saddlebags, too), and am on my second 16 ltr. magnetic tankbag. Main zipper finally failed on the first one, after several years of steady use and abuse. I liked it well enough to buy a second one, though I did buy a used one. The expandable bag with rain cover goes almost everywhere with me. Customer service has been very good when needed, and they're good folks. I stopped by their shop once, years ago, while on tour.

Also have a Fieldsheer magnetic bag, which is not expandable, and I sometimes use it on trips. It has worked well for me, and the magnets are VERY strong. Almost TOO strong. Way stronger than the RKA.

I once had a small Chase Harper magnetic tankbag, but cannot recommend them, as magnets were crap. I almost lost it several times because it just didn't stay put on the tank.

• Member Contributer

Main zipper finally failed on the first one, after several years of steady use and abuse.

If you still have the original, you might get it repaired free:

RKA Product Warranty:

RKA has a limited lifetime warranty from defects in workmanship and replacement of any zipper or hardware that fails, for the original owner

This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear,damage or failure caused by faulty installation, abuse or misuse.

Crash damage is not covered and not considered normal use.

I've been looking around, and I'm having trouble deciding. I think I actually kind of like the Icon Urban. Wouldn't ever use the stupid helmet holder, but I like the big side pouches....and I found a good deal on one in town. Let me know what you guys use.

For travel: Good features.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/3414/ITEM/Rapid-Transit-Recon-19-Magnetic-Tank-Bag.aspx

For minimalist travel and carrying the essentials.

http://www.cycleluggage.com/fieldsheer_90022.html

I have a Nelson-Rigg Silverstreak and really like it. I think it is the perfect size. Big enough to stuff a decent amount of stuff in it but it doesn't get in the way. Strong magnets won't let it go anywhere. Comes with a nice grip handle for carry and also a should strap that is well padded. I bought mine at motosport.com for $65 (I believe) which is a really good deal. Most places were asking $90. You have a lot to look at!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm also a fan of RKA (have saddlebags, too), and am on my second 16 ltr. magnetic tankbag.

Main zipper finally failed on the first one, after several years of steady use and abuse.

Conedodger lives close to me and we know each other through the S2000 forum.

I'm about to buy the same 16 ltr magnetic bag.

I like how flat it is, and how it can expand.

I don't need much carrying space, and I was very impressed when I checked out his

And for what it is worth, I called them yesterday and spke to Kathy, I can almost guarantee you, they would repair your 1st bag. They take their product very serious and I just have this feeling, the last thing they would want is you having one of their products that wore out.

I called by the way so I could get a sample of the yellow and charcoal fabrics, I may end up having a custom color configuration done.

16M_Closed_2009_bi.jpg

• Member Contributer

K-drive "luxury" tankbag. It's made for a BMW GS, but works great on the VFR. It's HUGE and can telescope even HUGER. I like the side pockets which work well for tool change and things you want at hand. And it fits well on the funny-shaped VFR tank with it's small flat top.

• 8 months later...

I've gone through literally over a dozen tankbags. The ones I kept that I like the best are as follows. Oh, these were mostly used on my Hawk and on my Concours. But any would be just as nice on a VFR.

The eclipse virtual expandable.

Nice and small, does not have "wings" Fits my work documents and leatherbound notebook. Has just the one internal pocket (large enough for a couple of magazines or file folders. I toss it on the fridge when I get home and on the side of a metal filing cabinet at the office. On the bike it's usually in my trunk and when I need to use the full trunk I toss it on the tank. While in the trunk I can still keep a full face and a shorty helmet in there and my rain jacket and a few pairs of gloves. This is my day to day tankbag. I organize it by using small nylon pouches. It will accommodate the full width of a standard sheet of paper, but you have to fold a couple of inches of the long end over. No big deal really.The map pockets are replaceable, which is VERY nice. Oh and the rain cover has snaps to hold the waterproof map cover. It expands to double its size if need be.

Next up, for road trips I alternate between the following.

The Eclipse standard MAGNETIC, you can't buy these anymore. The link is to the strap mount version. The magnetic version has the nicest bottom of any tankbag I have come across. The side pockets are HUGE, you can fit a nalgene bottle or jetboil in one of them. The main compartment is very large and spacious. The only gripe is that the mappocket is sewn in so you cannot replace it if it cracks, tears or yellows. Oh and the zippered magnetic base comes off. You can almost fit a full sized sheet of paper in the map pocket, you may have to cut or fold about 2" off the long end but it will take the full width.

Eclipse Expander magnetic tankbag. You can buy the exact same thing at Cyclegear, only it's black and says CARGO on it. This is a very large bag. The bag itself is very firm, the side pockets are fairly large, its "just right" for my tool roll and due to the stuffness of the bag the tool roll does not make the side collapse. It offers very well padded backpack straps, the zip off base has its own map pocket. It expands up to 40l! It doubles as a tailbag. Only issue is is that it is VERY LARGE. It might interfere with a full lock (like beep your horn or hit your starter). Both map pockets are large enough to fit a full sized 8.5x11 sheet of paper. Doubles as a tailbag and includes rubber straps to make it so.

Wolfman Timberwolf magnetic. No longer available, the link is to the strap mount model. Nicely sized tankbag. The magnetic base has a great sticky texture to it that will not mar your paint. If the bag hits your bars at full lock, then simply remove the removable side pockets. The map pocket is held on with velcro. There are MANY accessories available for it. Larger full sized sheet map pocket, larger side pockets, extra large front pocket, a water reservoir pocket and a top pocket that adds a few liters of space to the bag. The bag expands an extra few inches but only at one end (which annoys me).

EDIT: You can still find the magnetic model here.

I just picked up a Held Orion tankbag, so far I love this thing. It's super thin, it's basically a magnetic map pocket that unzips to become a tankbag. While zipped down it's only about an inch and a half thick, but you can fill thin items in it. I have my everyday essentials in it right now, all in little zippered nylon pouches. If I need more room I unzip it. It has the largest map pocket of any tankbag I have ever owned (which is a lot) it will hold letter\legal zised sheets of paper and euro \ s. american maps.

and lastly the Chicane Canyon (the link to the review shows the EX model) which is great for weekend getaways where I don't need a lot of space. The front slope allows me to shove my tool roll in it while basically not taking up any room from the main bag. The one I have is the wider model, they offered a thinner but expandable model as well. I have a camelbak bottle in it with a hose extension that sticks out and clips to the side. It has tons of pockets but the map pocket isn't very large. It has something I think every tankbag should have, a series of elastic bands on the inside side of the bags to store pens, tire pressure gauges, short tools, a short magic marker, e.t.c. Unfortunately the guys who made this awesome tankbag and lots of other awesome motorcycle luggage never had a head for business and they just closed up shop. Which is a real shame as they made terrific products. I also have their tailbag, saddlebags and waterproof duffel.

I also picked up that Joe Rocket 2 piece tankbag that "didit" has, been looking for that model for ages. The main bag is the perfect size for your everyday essentials, zip it the top compartment for road trip stuff or as a replacement for your womans purse (it zips off and has it's own backpack straps). Bottom bag will fit a full size sheet of paper, top bags map pocket is a little shorter.

Ron, the chicane tankbag is a perfect fit for the Hawk. I lent the back to someone with a Hawk who recently took a round the country trip. She loved it.

While I'm here a big -1 for RKA, yes they make nice stuff. But they are VERY rude if you call them about a ripped straps. It's $30 just for them to LOOK at it, then another $30 to fix it. Then shipping both ways at $15 each and now you're at $90, to repair a $100 bag. I went to a seamstress and gave her $5 for sew the strap back on. I then sold the bag and all my RKA products and will never buy anything from them again. I work the NY International MC show, to prove a point I stepped into their booth, so did a couple friends. They didn't even say anything to use. How does a company not offer to help potential customers?

• Member Contributer

I think I have owen almost every tankbag made in the last 30 years, but this one is my fave.

7686-425x350.jpg

thanks to twisted throttle for the photo, and thanks to Skuuter for selling it to me on the cheep.

NICE Tank Bag Timmy...... :biggrin: ......this is still (IMO) one of the Best Bags out there...hard to beat GIVI quality..... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Great thread, since I'm probably going to be buying a bag in the next littl while. I'm still using a "Skookum Pack" made in Vancouver BC years ago (to give you an idea how long I've had it, the first bike it was on was an 1100E Suzuki!). I haven't seen them for sale for many years - too bad a durable, practical bag. It clips onto a base that straps onto the top of the tank. The base has a hole for the gas filler and does double duty as a tank protector when not using the bag. I have never had a magnetic bag. Anybody had any problems with them? Great pic Wawazat - many a fond memory of Lolo Pass - also remeber the motor home that was 2/3 in my lane on one of those hairpins near the top on the west side!!

Just a word of warning about magnetic stuff. Be careful where you put them down! I set my magnetic bag down without noticing metal shavings on the ground (don't remember where). Later, after finding scratched gas tank paint, I examined the underside of the bag and found metal shavings stuck to the bottom.

• Member Contributer

Everything I need for a trip is carried in a modified Chase Harper tank bag...

The Chase Harper rest on my home made aluminum tank bag bracket...

gallery_3131_51_15864.jpg

gallery_3131_51_6823.jpg

Tank bag rest upon the bracket and does not in any way touch my prized $2,500 aluminum tank...

gallery_3131_51_64453.jpg

Mr.RC45's tank bag contents:

1 Home made aluminum chain adjuster spanner

2 & 3 BMW tire repair kit

4 tape measure

5 fuses

6 pen

7 flashlite

8 razor

9 digital infrared thermometer for tracking tire temps

10 digital air pressure gauge

11 Rolaids (CHP gives me heartburn)

12 Brown Bomber (Advil)

13 home made tool to access tail cowl storage space

14 5mm allen... spare mirror screw... cross point tool...

15 525 master link...

16 Home made collapsible lift to levitate the rear tire in order to

lube my stinky chain every tank full of gas... (my belt drive

conversion will eliminate this silly stuff...)

Total weight 2 pounds 5 oz

1453472317_42ef8d9849_o.jpg

Stand extended...

RC45Maint.StandErect.JPG

Stand in place...

RC45Maint.StandLifts209pds.JPG

• Member Contributer

I've been looking around, and I'm having trouble deciding. I think I actually kind of like the Icon Urban. Wouldn't ever use the stupid helmet holder, but I like the big side pouches....and I found a good deal on one in town. Let me know what you guys use.

None at all! It just bugs me to have anything on the tank and gets in my way of moving around

• Member Contributer

None at all! It just bugs me to have anything on the tank and gets in my way of moving around

Yeah me too!! I have tail bags, saddle bags, and two different tank bags...all work great when I have to use them, BUT I will always prefer my back pack any day....especially the cold ones where I can sinch up the straps and makes my jacket even tighter. And keeps the wind off my back! It's never in the way for gas!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Has anyone tried the Givi T480 tanklock? I've had an Eclipse (straps) forever on my '02 6th gen (and a VF700 before that...), but I haven't seen anything that would be right for my 7th gen. The plastic comes up too far around the black metal tank to make a big magnetic bag practical, and the strap bags I've seen, including the OEM accessory, have about 40 linear feet of strap.

I have the hard bags and am becoming addicted to the functionality of the top box--never had one before--but a tank bag always comes in handy for short trips to the store, map holder, etc.

I've looked at the sites and a few forums and there don't seem to be many negatives, and it's only $135 + $15 for the mounting ring. The main downside seems to be riding around without the bag but with an ugly mounting ring. Also, the Givi site talks a lot about the great mounting system but doesn't say or show much on the other features.

I'd appreciate info from anyone using one. Blizzard here, time to get ready for spring!

I've had several. This Nelson-Rigg is my favorite. Nice size, not too big, not too small. Just right for riding around town. I think it looks great, following the lines of the bike nicely.

Nelson Rigg Silver Streak Magnetic Tank Bag

Plus, they show it on a VFR!

And here it is on my ride

post-9594-127185838494_thumb.jpg

Add another for the Nelson-Rigg Silver Streak. I think it is probably the best size. Big enough to hold a lot of stuff without being "oversized". I use it daily and really like it. Had it for about two years now. I bought it at Motosport and got a really good deal. Think at the time it listed for $90-95 and I paid $65.

Archived