As it turns out, yella just ain't my thang

5thGenJim

• Member Contributer

Okay - so I love my Viffer. I do, really. So much so, I'm willing to go to war with the wifey over selling it (she wants me to, I... uh, well.... don't). ANYWAY - as much as I love the bike, I don't love the color. Yellow just isn't me. I was thinking about going down a road like this:

3399156677_cd3e2b0c9e.jpg

But, I've an open mind on the subject - not opposed to painting it another color (even flat black, Timmy). Please restrain yourselves from posting up pics of bikes in the latest 'Hello Kitty' colors. But, any suggestions on color that I should consider for the 5th Gen?

Pics would be appreciated, too.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I suspect that you're going to get as many answers as there are members on this board. Although that blue pic you posted up there looks good, it wouldn't be my first choice. I would prefer the dark red we see (candy red ??), or a dark green. My all time favorite however would be bright orange (Repsol type of orange). But that's just me.

Good luck making a decision!

C

PS Have you thought about buying one of them aftermarket kits from China? Veefermadness installed one and I think his comments overall were positive. Prolly cheaper than having the entire bike repainted and you still have an extra set of fairing if you even decide to sell it or go back to original.

• Member Contributer

I'm a sucker for Toro1's Tangerine Pearl color, but I like the blue as well.

The wheels should be silver or black, though.

• Member Contributer

Well, lots of colors and designs to go with. If not for a design, then I'd say either asphalt black, pearl white, or that metallic blue.

3399156623_7d4ddeb499.jpg

BTW, if you do end up going the blue route, let me know. Have to get my dad's wheels done in blue eventually. Group discount?

• Member Contributer

Eastwood sells a nice matte black in the Hot Rod Flatz line. Other nice options would be orange or some sort of silver, possibly a really dark graphite-like silver.

• Member Contributer

I suspect that you're going to get as many answers as there are members on this board. Although that blue pic you posted up there looks good, it wouldn't be my first choice. I would prefer the dark red we see (candy red ??), or a dark green. My all time favorite however would be bright orange (Repsol type of orange). But that's just me.

C

PS Have you thought about buying one of them aftermarket kits from China? Veefermadness installed one and I think his comments overall were positive. Prolly cheaper than having the entire bike repainted and you still have an extra set of fairing if you even decide to sell it or go back to original.

I thought about orange, too... really no where near a final decision - dig the blue is all. I looked at the kits, but with the 5gen kit, I'd still have to paint the tank. NBD, I suppose - will look at them a little closer.I'm more interested in something a bit more subdued than the REPSOL set up (looks good, but not for me).

• Member Contributer

The blue looks good, but i would use the Lapis Blue Matallic that the VTEC model got overseas.

Oh yeah, and the wheels should be black, not blue.

vfr800_02_blue_1024.jpg

I'm going to need a moment or two alone with this pic. NICE!!!

• Member Contributer

Eastwood sells a nice matte black in the Hot Rod Flatz line. Other nice options would be orange or some sort of silver, possibly a really dark graphite-like silver.

Matte black, maybe, but I think I'm going to stay away from the silvers... I think Burns is considering a color change in that direction for his 4Gen.

But, yeah, I think the wheels, regardless of body color, should be black or silver (call me old fashioned).

I'm with PolarBear on this one...orange would be my pick. Not the Repsol scheme, just solid orange. I've seen pix of a 5th gen. in that color and it looks great. Also, I'd leave the wheels black or go to silver.

I'm still new here, so I don't know if my opinion counts or not :goofy: but I really like the stock red color of my 98. It looks super on the 5th gens. The only thing I would do different is incorporate somewhere to put some "gear driven cam badging" and chrome the wheels. I think these wheels look great chromed. Now I will go back to my hole. :lurk:

• Member Contributer

Achmed,

Looks like you get all your stuff "sight unseen"? :goofy:

you got yourself a wife that does not like you riding a motorcycle.

you got a bike in a color you donot like.

wassup? :lurk:

As for color change, I second the tangarine, with the frame matte black.

Or the RC45 scheme

Question though is if you want to keep the bike "forever". Because only then would the invested $ make sense (unless you got a free respray somewhere)

To a potential buyer, respray will always smell like "crashed".

Here is my newly acquired 5th gen in dark green, she looks even better in the 'flesh' so to speak :goofy:

newvfr01.jpg

• Member Contributer

I never give insight as to what I'm thinking...

with that style of bike though,

I think that mexican colors are in order... solid with a metalflake over... maybe a fade coming up from the lowers... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I like the Blues. Interlagos blue...

DSC02053.jpg

If you're interested there are a lot more pics of the color HERE

You planning on doing a lot of the work yourself? If so, I've got a set of 6th gen fairings you might as well bang out at the same time... :pissed: Otherwise seems like a lot of money relative to the value of the bike just to change the color.

Archived