I need to ask for a battery tender

Chev

• Member Contributer

The motorcycle gods must be pissed at me. I went to go for a long overdue ride and the bikes were both dead. Add this to the fact that they have been religiously swapped back and forth between my one batter minder (Bell Brand sold at Wal-Mart) that I have to blame the charger.

Which is the best charger out there for less than $100 bucks? My cheapo charger just cost me $200 in batteries and weeks without riding. sad.gif

Santa is offering and I need to take her up on that. Well I think she's been jonesin for a ride. :rolleyes:

Battery Tender has served me well, I also have a couple of the Schumacher chargers from Wally World that have been performing just fine... Congrats on having a good Santa! :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of it:

Battery_Tender_Plus.jpg

• Member Contributer

Schumacher

Ahh, it's not a Bell. It's one of these.

I don't trust the Schumachers anymore. Maybe some are good and some are bad, but a bad battery tender gets real expensive real fast.

• Member Contributer

Schumacher

Ahh, it's not a Bell. It's one of these.

I don't trust the Schumachers anymore. Maybe some are good and some are bad, but a bad battery tender gets real expensive real fast.

My Schumacher went out on me, too. Before that, one time I accidentally bumped it into 6v mode. So be sure that didn't happen. Once it did finally die on me, I got the Battery Tender Jr. One of my previous bikes came with a Yuasa brand charger, and I rotate the three bikes between the 2 chargers. The multi chargers were pretty expensive...

I've beeen using the nicely compact SureCharge IV by VDC Electronics for the last several years. It's an automatic maintenance charger with a two-stage smart electronic circuit that includes an auto-float control and a pulse-mode circuit. An LED indicator blinks when the battery reaches full charge.

BatteryMaintainer.jpg

This thing has been absolutely bulletproof, and is very reasonably priced.

Available here among other places: http://store.leadingedgeairfoils.com/product_info.php?products_id=7377

You can install the SAE pigtail for quick hookup once you return to the barn. The pigtail is also readily available for plugging in other on-board accessories when not maintaining the battery.

The motorcycle gods must be pissed at me. I went to go for a long overdue ride and the bikes were both dead. Add this to the fact that they have been religiously swapped back and forth between my one batter minder (Bell Brand sold at Wal-Mart) that I have to blame the charger.

Which is the best charger out there for less than $100 bucks? My cheapo charger just cost me $200 in batteries and weeks without riding. sad.gif

Santa is offering and I need to take her up on that. Well I think she's been jonesin for a ride. :warranty:

This is the best thing going(as I've tried many). I've been using it for over a year with perfect outcome's.

Charger link

I use this one on all my 12V batteries:

http://www.batteryminders.com/batterycharger/catalog/BatteryMINDer-Plus-12-Volt-133-Amp-Charger-Maintainer-Conditio-p-16134.html

I don't leave any of them on though. Just put one on every now and then so it can put a good charge on it.

Computer UPS's use the same sealed batteries and are kept at float level all the time. Problem is, they seem to go bad in just a few years. So, I wonder if there's a connection. All my others are still fine.

i have the battery tender and i keep my bike plugged in all the time.

batteries are going to go bad they are not good forever.

:warranty:

I use these, Battery Tender JR, only $22 at Amazon right now, one per bike and the bigger sister version on one car. I plug them in and forget them until spring without a problem.

My VFR battery lasted at least the 5 years that I owned the bike (I don't know how long the PO had it).

My car battery is almost 10 years old, gets the same winter treatment as it isn't driven in the winter.

Easy as heck.

Good luck!

I've beeen using the nicely compact SureCharge IV by VDC Electronics for the last several years. It's an automatic maintenance charger with a two-stage smart electronic circuit that includes an auto-float control and a pulse-mode circuit. An LED indicator blinks when the battery reaches full charge.

BatteryMaintainer.jpg

This thing has been absolutely bulletproof, and is very reasonably priced.

Available here among other places: http://store.leadingedgeairfoils.com/product_info.php?products_id=7377

You can install the SAE pigtail for quick hookup once you return to the barn. The pigtail is also readily available for plugging in other on-board accessories when not maintaining the battery.

Similar to the one above, I use the Battery Tender Jr. It seems to work well for anything I've done with it. It may not charge a completely dead battery as fast as some others but it does what I need it to. I just tested it on a COMPLETELY dead battery. This battery was so dead that I couldn't get a single light filament to even glow on the buggy it was in. Ignition wouldn't even click. It took 2 days to get it juiced back up. But a charge on a new battery just takes overnight usually. Just plug it in and let it do it's thing. It's small and the price is good. A nice little piece of security to have on a trip too that doesn't take up much space.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S

• Member Contributer

batteries are going to go bad they are not good forever.

I know something is up because the batter in the 1KR was new for TMac this year. A batter should last at least one year while kept on a battery tender. The surprise came when the VTec battery was dead after the battery tender came off of it.

Sad days indeed.

I'm going to try and get my hands on an Optimate 4+.

So I saved $40-$50 on the charger, and two new batteries later my cheapo charger costed me $200. Giving a net cost of $220 for a bad decision.

sad.gif

• Member Contributer

Don't laugh, but I've had one of these on my riding lawn mower for 10+ years with the same battery, no problem. That's even after using the fuel shut off to kill it and forgetting to turn off the key, and also forgetting to plug it in, killing the battery to zero (more than once). Also have one on my '71 Chev PU that gets used about a dozen times a year and that battery is over 12 years old. I've used one on my bikes and I've never bought a battery, but then I seem to only have them for 5 years or less. Anyway, they're usually on sale for between 5-6 bucks. Its one of those things they put on sale all the time to get you in the door.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42292

I've got a couple of the Battery Tenders and they have served me well. A buddy had a BT as well until this year and it finally failed. So just remember they aren't forever either. I think his was probably 10-12 years old though.

Don't laugh, but I've had one of these on my riding lawn mower for 10+ years with the same battery, no problem. That's even after using the fuel shut off to kill it and forgetting to turn off the key, and also forgetting to plug it in, killing the battery to zero (more than once). Also have one on my '71 Chev PU that gets used about a dozen times a year and that battery is over 12 years old. I've used one on my bikes and I've never bought a battery, but then I seem to only have them for 5 years or less. Anyway, they're usually on sale for between 5-6 bucks. Its one of those things they put on sale all the time to get you in the door.

I have this same one, and changed the end to a Powerlet end so I can reverse charge through my unswitched Powerlet port.

p.s. Batteries Plus has the Yuasa (or sometimes their brand) for $70...might save you money down the road!

I just bought a Schumaker from Orielly for 32 dollars. it says 1.5 on it has no switches to move to 6v, has the same pig tail on it that the Battery tender Craig used on the bike. Seems to be working fine so far.

It looks just like the battery tender Jr..

• Member Contributer

http://www.harborfre...temnumber=42292

I have this same one, and changed the end to a Powerlet end so I can reverse charge through my unswitched Powerlet port.

p.s. Batteries Plus has the Yuasa (or sometimes their brand) for $70...might save you money down the road!

Mr Tightwad tell me more about this smile.gif does all powerlet outlets let you reverse charge thru it,,,,, I have the powerlet that they sold for the steering stem and was it hard to attach a powerlet end to it.

• Member Contributer

I have 6 Battery Tenders & all work great.

They have a 5 year warranty, I believe. I know my buddy's shop sent 3 back that were had died (out of the several 100s they have sold) and they were replaced no questions asked!

Can't go wrong there!

• Member Contributer

I got 3 water proof ones off ebay for 29.90 each. Its great for traveling. Can throw it down in the rain with no stress. Very compact and good for on the road!!

020150DLWH.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DELTRAN-WATERPROOF-800-BATTERY-TENDER-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2706442aQQitemZ400086680618QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

I got 3 water proof ones off ebay for 29.90 each. Its great for traveling. Can throw it down in the rain with no stress. Very compact and good for on the road!!

020150DLWH.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DELTRAN-WATERPROOF-800-BATTERY-TENDER-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2706442aQQitemZ400086680618QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Man, you guys just sold me on getting one of the Juniors, even if I don't really need one right now. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I bought this one from Harbor Freight about four years ago and it works just fine. I think I even got it on sale for $6.99. As a matter of fact, I just gave up on riding for a while due to our recent cold snap and my intense hours at work right now and plugged it in last night. I know others cost a lot more and "do" more but for the 4 - 6 weeks I'm down every Christmas, this thing works like a charm. At less than $10, it makes a great stocking stuffer!

• Member Contributer

I run the one on my truck thru the cig lighter. Makes it real handy.

Archived