It's Deer Hitting Season

VFR Capt.Bob

• Member Contributer

The following is taken from my insurance company. I am offering no oppinion but information is power so here are some fact and tips that my help toward avoiding hitting a deer.

Deer Statistics:

Dawn and dusk are the times you are most likely to encounter deer along the roadside.

Deer breeding season runs from October through early January, and during this time they are highly active and on the move. This is when deer-vehicle collisions are at their peak.

Though deer may wander into suburban neighborhoods, they are most frequently found on the outskirts of town and in heavily wooded areas.

As pack animals, deer almost never travel alone. If you see one deer, you can bet that there are others nearby.

Preventive Techniques:

The two most important ways to avoid a deer-vehicle collision are: slow down and SLOW DOWN. If you are driving through an area known for high deer populations, slow down and observe the speed limit. The more conservative you are with your speed, the more time you will have to brake if an animal darts into your path.

Watch for the shine of eyes along the roadside and immediately begin to slow.

Use your high beams whenever the road is free of oncoming traffic. This will increase your visibility and give you more time to react.

Deer can become mesmerized by steady, bright lights so if you see one frozen on the road, slow down and flash your lights.

Some experts recommend one long blast of the horn to scare them out of the road, as well.

Pay close attention to caution signs indicating deer or other large animals. These signs are specifically placed in high-traffic areas where road crossings are frequent.

If you're on a multi-lane road, drive in the center lane to give as much space to grazing deer as possible.

• Member Contributer

I've hit six deer with motorcycles and one in with a car. And I've had countless close calls.

:biggrin: :goofy: :beer: :3: :3: :3:

From my experience there's only ONE way to avoid hitting a deer, and that's put the vehicles away and WALK.

Different times of day/night, loud/quiet exhaust, high/low beam, fast/slow speed... NONE OF IT MATTERED.

The fact is, they are furry missiles and in my opinion it's luck of the draw. I live in a forest, and there are deer everywhere. I say a prayer every time I ride, and sometimes get so paranoid that everything along the road (shrubs, mailboxes, garbage cans, etc) looks like a deer until it it doesn't.

Good luck and ride safe~

• Member Contributer
The fact is, they are furry missiles and in my opinion it's luck of the draw.

:biggrin:

That reminds me of a Jay Leno Headlines segment.... A older lady sent the DOT a letter asking them move the deer crossing sign somewhere else..... Because there were too many deer crossing in that area and getting hit.....

• Member Contributer

I live in the country and have to ride to work at night (11pm) and see alot of deer. Even on the highway they will be standing waiting to ambush me from the ditches. I hate them :biggrin: This is a great video of a bike hitting a dear at 80+mph and somehow keeps it up.

That reminds me of a Jay Leno Headlines segment.... A older lady sent the DOT a letter asking them move the deer crossing sign somewhere else..... Because there were too many deer crossing in that area and getting hit.....

lol thats funny........................................ :biggrin:

One documented statistic, is that if deer are travelling in open territory (eg. fields), they tend to follow hedgerows/overgrowth along fence lines. Since they tend to look like intersections to a road, it doesn't hurt to glance at those too. :dry:

Reduced speed in general is a MUST during the season. I try to be off the road by the time most encounters might occur. :beer: :musik20:

Unlike usual 'target fixation', I do keep and eye on the deer, since they tend to make their move at the very last second. Observe as many factors as you can with regards to traffic, other animals, ditch verses cliff etc to surmise possible evasive manouvers... you'd be surprised how much your mind can absorb when you find yourself in immenent danger. It's the survival instinct; :ph34r:

When all else is said and done, you're gonna make a choice and you will be: 1) right :biggrin: , 2) wrong sad.gif , 3) wrong and very chucked up, (but still alive to attend your own debriefing) :biggrin: , or 4) DEAD WRONG! :ohmy: :squid: :squid: :squid: :schla15:

Greg :fing02:

• Member Contributer
One documented statistic, is that if deer are travelling in open territory (eg. fields), they tend to follow hedgerows/overgrowth along fence lines. Since they tend to look like intersections to a road, it doesn't hurt to glance at those too. :biggrin:

Over the years living amongst the white tail deer here in Texas, I've come to notice:

1) they can be found to congregate under large shade trees along the road at anytime of the day

2) more likely to be found near a water source (creeks, rivers=slow down)

3) Oct-Dec. is oak tree acorn season and they'll be found near/under these eating

4) game managed lands with the super tall deer fences along the road have less deer on the roadway

FWIW

• Member Contributer

Whenever I go to the "woods" I drive a big ol' truck. If a deer jumps out, I don't even bother to stop. The truck has next to no brakes.

In the concrete jungle, however, I have a problem with stray Suburbans :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

The eyes, just like what was said in the first post. Can not miss them if your paying attention and not focused on just the road.

• Forum CEO

Deer here always seem to come down from the mountains when its deer hunting season, and of course when the food sources are scarce (drought).

Stay off hwy 14 Utah in the Dixie National Forest, it was the worst I have ever encountered for deer! In just a short 40 miles 4 deer ran out in front of me, so close I had to stop all 4 times, even riding bug eyed looking everywhere for the next stupid buck to come bounding out of the trees! We must have seen a hundred of them along the side of the road and crossing the road in mass. It was a scary time to be riding, right before sundown in August!

• Member Contributer
I live in the country and have to ride to work at night (11pm) and see alot of deer. Even on the highway they will be standing waiting to ambush me from the ditches. I hate them :angry: This is a great video of a bike hitting a dear at 80+mph and somehow keeps it up.

No wonder he hit a deer, he was staring at the speedo the whole time! :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Damn... I can't get one with a .308 with a scope and Alien gets 6.. I'm going to start hunting with my Viffer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
One documented statistic, is that if deer are travelling in open territory (eg. fields), they tend to follow hedgerows/overgrowth along fence lines. Since they tend to look like intersections to a road, it doesn't hurt to glance at those too. :dry:

Reduced speed in general is a MUST during the season. I try to be off the road by the time most encounters might occur. :beer: :musik20:

Unlike usual 'target fixation', I do keep and eye on the deer, since they tend to make their move at the very last second. Observe as many factors as you can with regards to traffic, other animals, ditch verses cliff etc to surmise possible evasive manouvers... you'd be surprised how much your mind can absorb when you find yourself in immenent danger. It's the survival instinct; :ph34r:

When all else is said and done, you're gonna make a choice and you will be: 1) right +1.gif , 2) wrong sad.gif , 3) wrong and very chucked up, (but still alive to attend your own debriefing) :laugh: , or 4) DEAD WRONG! :ohmy: :squid: :squid: :squid: :schla15:

Greg :fing02:

Valid points made here.... +1.gif

I have a greater fear of deer than cars where I live. In known "high deer" areas, I just slow way down...really.. :laugh: Wild turkeys are getting to be the same way around here....not to mention the biggest black bear I ever saw ambling across The Gap year before last...I "let him go"... :blink:

• Member Contributer

Worst area I have seen is in Washinton State. On one short trip over to Wenatchee/Lake Chelan on RT2 saw four of this steaks on the road. Mid day too! RT20 has got signs all over with the latest kill data.

med_gallery_2144_2760_1038767.jpg

• Member Contributer

Driving home from Gorman after a fun day of dirt bike riding two weeks ago I saw a deer near the dirt road we were taking toward the Hwy. I told the kids to look for the rest of them. Sure enough there were at least two more.

Damn... I can't get one with a .308 with a scope and Alien gets 6.. I'm going to start hunting with my Viffer

Ron White's comedy routine about deer is the best method for getting one.

1. Slow the bullet down to 55 mph.

2. Put two headlights and a horn on the bullet.

3. Blow the horn on the bullet loudly.

4. The deer will literally jump in front of the bullet.

• Member Contributer

:laugh:

Ron White's comedy routine about deer is the best method for getting one.

1. Slow the bullet down to 55 mph.

2. Put two headlights and a horn on the bullet.

3. Blow the horn on the bullet loudly.

4. The deer will literally jump in front of the bullet.

:laugh:

• Member Contributer

Apparently they are afraid of a bike with a Yoshimura can!!

I saw 2 bucks today about 1pm. They were about 1/2 mile apart down a rural 2 lane. Both were originally on the shoulder and immediately started haulin' @ss away from the road upon my approach.

Had a buck do the same this time last year around midday. I was on a different bike that also has a Yosh can.

Maybe the Yosh is an effective deer whistle? Both bikes are stinky I4's, no VFR in the stable at this time.

Archived