What's The Diff Between A P Power And A P Road 2?

Trace

I think it's fair to say that the Powers are a favored tire in the sportbike world, and for good reason: Most of us will never have the ability to exploit the 50.6 degree (dry) lean angle the tire is capable of. Certainly not me! But it definitley can square-off rather quickly, leaving most of us with a nasty "shoulderhump" that makes for strange turn-in shennanigans! And then the tire wears out, leaving us with "like new" sides with cord hanging out of the damn center. :laugh:

And many have raved about the Road and Road 2, saying it provides all the performance most of us could ever use, while resisting the rapid wear of the Power. It's not just the tread compound that gives the Road more "highway life". As you can readily see, the shape is much different, with far less center "peak" to quickly get worn down. Because of this shape, I'm sure there's less grip when leaned waaaayyyyyyy over....but....who cares? And we can assume the "flickability" of the Power is much better than the Road, but again....not many guys need that level of performance. But we do want the best grip we can get with the most life on real-world highways. I guess the Road 2 is a good (best?) compromise for that real-world.

The 190 Power is going on my RC for my trip to Franklin, and the Road 2 goes on the Viffer. Power is on the left, of course. Interesting look at the very different profiles, huh?

tires004.jpg

Also--I talked with a Michelin engineer today about tire pressures. I was thinking of running lower pressures for the long slab ride to Franklin, hoping to "save" some of the Power's center crown by giving the tire a slightly bigger footprint to wear against. Say....37 psi or so. He said "Nope, 36 and 42. Got to keep the flex out of the carcass to keep the heat down. For the street, it's designed to run at 36/42 cold. I know track guys will start at about 32 cold (both ends) and run 8-10 laps, and that's fine as far as heat buildup. But not on the street."

Anyway, looking forward to trying the Road 2. I've never been on anything other than Powers for both bikes.

• Forum CEO
Also--I talked with a Michelin engineer today about tire pressures. I

HMM why not ask the Michelin engineer, he works there, he would know? Instead of a bunch of dudes who ride vfrs? I noticed from mounting my own tires that the power has a much more flexable carcase and smaller side wall, so it does take a lot of heat compared to the Road 2. Other than the more flexable carcase and the thinner sidewall it has the same compound all around, where the road 2 has a harder compound in the band at the crown of the tire, softer on the sides. I like the higher crown on the power cause it sure makes the bike flick over so easy and it feels very comfortable leaned over. Much more feedback at speed too, yet the road2's compromises are really not so bad, I only miss the way the bike flicks over easier with the powers. I wonder if they made a power with the harder compound if it would just come off or somthing if really pushed hard? I dont know why they added the extra sidewall and rounder profile? Perhaps to acommidate heavier bikes?

What is considered at too high pressure when hot?

Recently I 've been checking my road2 rears immediately after a ride and they are like 49 psi, starting at 42.5 cold

how much psi can they withstand?

I wonder if they made a power with the harder compound if it would just come off or somthing if really pushed hard? I dont know why they added the extra sidewall and rounder profile? Perhaps to acommidate heavier bikes?

A lot of us flatlanders wish there was a "Florida Tire", such as a Power that's hard as a hockey puck in the center and normal rubber on the sides. [Note: I think a lot of folks think the multi-compound tires are like that, but as far as I know, all these fancy tires are "normal" in the center and extra gummy on the sides.] Of course, the Road 2 is harder in the center than the Power, so w're talking apples and grapefruit when comparing them.

According to the Michelin Man, the vehicle's weight tends to govern the psi. So.....a Wing with Roads might call for 38/46, but I'm only guessing.

What is considered at too high pressure when hot?

Recently I 've been checking my road2 rears immediately after a ride and they are like 49 psi, starting at 42.5 cold

how much psi can they withstand?

They can withstand a LOT. What they can't stand is going lower. Michelin Man was adamant about this, with the problem being sidewall heat that can lead to "zipper blowout" (his term) along the sidewall. But we're talking about extremes here (kinda like a silly oil vs. engine life thread!!). He also stated that in general, the tire will climb 4-6 psi once it's up to max temps, so you're in the ballpark. And, you're minimizing carcass flex at those high pressures, which is what he wants to have happen. But....why are you adding that extra .5 psi?

• Member Contributer

Nice write up TV. I've always run 36/42 for street riding...never had any issues and get pretty decent mileage too with the PP's :laugh:

FL guy with PR2 rear on my VFR. About 4700 miles on it now, at least that much left on it. Very happy with the tire, and also stuck just fine on my trip to the gap!

stuck just fine on my trip to the gap!

Yeah, but you're a Florida Guy. We could get by with Shinko's cheapest up there! :laugh:

But I think I'll be quite happy with the Road2 on the VFR. I'll keep Powers on the RC, however. wink.gif

Just changed out my PP/PR2 set after 3150 miles, front was starting to feel crappy. Still had maybe 300 more miles left in the rear, but heading out on a short trip so I slapped on the used BS b014's that came off my old Gixxer 7k. Will see what they feel like. :laugh::beer:

Did just order another PP/PR2 set, $265 from my local buddy! :laugh:

Just changed out my PP/PR2 set after 3150 miles, front was starting to feel crappy. Still had maybe 300 more miles left in the rear, but heading out on a short trip so I slapped on the used BS b014's that came off my old Gixxer 7k. Will see what they feel like. :laugh::beer:

Did just order another PP/PR2 set, $265 from my local buddy! :laugh:

You would only get some 3500 miles out of a PR2 rear?? You are one nasty dude, you must really thrash that thing more tha I was thinking you do... I've got some 2500 miles on my PR2 rear right now and reckon it still has that to go again... and I rekon I'm fairly unkind to mine...

The manufacturers recommend a certain pressure for a reason... it's a no brainer...

• Member Contributer
stuck just fine on my trip to the gap!

Yeah, but you're a Florida Guy. We could get by with Shinko's cheapest up there! :beer:

But I think I'll be quite happy with the Road2 on the VFR. I'll keep Powers on the RC, however. wink.gif

Trace, if your tracking that RC you're gunna be happier with the 2CT ,i've been there done that and I wont be going back, actually may go forward to the Michelin One :laugh:

Trace, if your tracking that RC you're gunna be happier with the 2CT ,i've been there done that and I wont be going back, actually may go forward to the Michelin One :laugh:

I ain't trackin' that damn thing! It has some problem with the front end....whenever I whack the gas coming out of a 2nd gear turn, the front tire has a tendency to rise above the ground! :laugh:

But it's headed to Frankin and the Gap environs in about 12 hours. And I'll be perched on it for.....450 miles to get there. Ugh! :beer:

We have plenty of flat straight roads here in Alberta. The PR2s are great. My current set is a few rides away from being completely toast (knock on wood) and has well over 15,000 kilometres (BT021 were shot after about 10,000 kilometres). I'm not a daredevil but there are no strips left on my tires and I've never had any issues with lost traction at human to semi-human speeds in corners. I think it's a really great compromise for sport and touring. If you're a shredder the Power is the way to go, for the rest of us, the PR2 is the best value.

• Member Contributer

I have purposely run low pressure on two sets of tires for "better grip". Well I might have had better grip but those were the only two sets of tires that I wound up having cupping isses on. No more low pressure for me.

Just changed out my PP/PR2 set after 3150 miles, front was starting to feel crappy. Still had maybe 300 more miles left in the rear, but heading out on a short trip so I slapped on the used BS b014's that came off my old Gixxer 7k. Will see what they feel like. :fing02::cool:

Did just order another PP/PR2 set, $265 from my local buddy! :cool:

Just bought a set of B016 that came off a GSXR(sold the bike)$ 50 for both,I like them have a set on the bike now.

If you're a shredder the Power is the way to go, for the rest of us, the PR2 is the best value.

I think you summed that up quite nicely. We might all wish we were shredders.....or if you're the PhantomXRailerNextAzzhole (who is thankfully long gone!) you might THINK you're a shredder....but the fact is that most of us simply are not.

I wound up having cupping isses on. No more low pressure for me.

I was going to mention cupping issues. Underinflation will certainly allow the tire to flex in ways that it wasn't intended to. For a front tire, that's going to mean cupping.

Can't beat PP's f&r, but I can shred with the best of them running a PP front and a Road 2 rear! It does take more effort running Road 2's f&r though.

See ya pool side TV. :fing02:

See ya pool side TV. :fing02:

Life is good when you're drinking Scotch on a Friday night at the Franklin Motel, poolside. You don't care about tires or VFRD going down for a few days, or what type of oil to use.....you just have another sip and chat about whatever. See you there in about 43 hours. Forecast calls for "awesomeness"!

• Member Contributer

Can someone confirm that the softer sides of the Pilot Road 2's are made from the same rubber that's on the Pilot Powers.

VFRMike.

• Member Contributer

Just switched to PP/PR2. I'm very pleased with the turn in. Have only taken one 200 mile ride so can't comment on wear. However I am going to check the air pressure. Been running Bridgestones for about the last 5 sets of tires so I'm learning the Michilens feel. So far so good. I think mentally I would just as soon run PP front and back for canyons but I plan some longer trips and commuting on occasion so thought I'd give the PR2 a try.

Just changed out my PP/PR2 set after 3150 miles, front was starting to feel crappy. Still had maybe 300 more miles left in the rear, but heading out on a short trip so I slapped on the used BS b014's that came off my old Gixxer 7k. Will see what they feel like. :blush::cool:

Did just order another PP/PR2 set, $265 from my local buddy! :cool:

You would only get some 3500 miles out of a PR2 rear?? You are one nasty dude, you must really thrash that thing more tha I was thinking you do... I've got some 2500 miles on my PR2 rear right now and reckon it still has that to go again... and I rekon I'm fairly unkind to mine...

The manufacturers recommend a certain pressure for a reason... it's a no brainer...

Having read what his mileage is on his other tyres I'd say he got pretty far on the PR2's. most of his don't get much past 2000..

• 3 years later...

Lots of discussion on here about BRAND of tire & PRESSURE, but I've not found any discussion on running anything other than stock size. Has anyone tried a larger/wider tire? How does it affect handling/mpg?

Not worth it unless you have a wider rim to support the wider tire.

A 190 tire requires a 6" rim to give it a proper footprint on the road. Otherwise you are pinching the sidewalls in slightly and causing the edges of the tires to be pulled into a "rounder" profile.

Thus, when you really lean it all the way over, the edges of the tire "fall away" and are not really available for you to use as a riding surface. Not optimal..

Yes, people have done it and not died, but again, not optimal.

Not worth it unless you have a wider rim to support the wider tire.

A 190 tire requires a 6" rim to give it a proper footprint on the road. Otherwise you are pinching the sidewalls in slightly and causing the edges of the tires to be pulled into a "rounder" profile.

Thus, when you really lean it all the way over, the edges of the tire "fall away" and are not really available for you to use as a riding surface. Not optimal..

Yes, people have done it and not died, but again, not optimal.

Perfect. That's exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thanks~

Archived