Slim Fit Jackets

Guest donutgonuts

When I was 45.... I was 6'0" 170 lbs. ..... Now at 65 ..... 5'11" 230 ...... Warning this can happen to anyone :blush:

hmm, I seem to be starting sooner than you did.. :dry:

Then stop it now, the longer you wait.... Etc. :blush:

By the way all of these hijacks, will keep this tread bumped up front. So you'll get more good info in between the humour :cool:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hells yes we eat! With the best of them. I'm no Joey Chesnut, not even Kobayahsi, but I can put away some food.

Like re-agent said, it's simple accounting - calories consumed in one column vs calories burned in the other. I burn a lot of calories, and eat sensibly most of the time. But I can eat any kind of crap I like without much worry of packing it on. I just don't do that very often, and I can't tell you the last time I was in a McDonalds. Didn't y'all see Super Size Me? Scary.

Don't you miss the McRib sandwich at all??!! :blush:

Plus, they sell "Gourmet" coffee now in fancy McD plastic cups :blush:

I myself find it hard to eat at the junk food places when I'm out riding, frankly because the close fit of my jackets makes it uncomfortable to ride when the food and specially the soda. will bloat up my stomach. I usually only drink some diet tea at stops to keep hydrated, but never really food.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
Hells yes we eat! With the best of them. I'm no Joey Chesnut, not even Kobayahsi, but I can put away some food.

Like re-agent said, it's simple accounting - calories consumed in one column vs calories burned in the other. I burn a lot of calories, and eat sensibly most of the time. But I can eat any kind of crap I like without much worry of packing it on. I just don't do that very often, and I can't tell you the last time I was in a McDonalds. Didn't y'all see Super Size Me? Scary.

Don't you miss the McRib sandwich at all??!! :blush:

Plus, they sell "Gourmet" coffee now in fancy McD plastic cups :blush:

I myself find it hard to eat at the junk food places when I'm out riding, frankly because the close fit of my jackets makes it uncomfortable to ride when the food and specially the soda. will bloat up my stomach. I usually only drink some diet tea at stops to keep hydrated, but never really food.

Beck

95 VFR

Grilled chicken salad is my answer. I'm 5.11 and had just cracked 190 (on the way down :cool: )

• Member Contributer
Don't you people eat???? :blush:

Sure we eat but we stay dynamic also.

64 years young at 147 and 5'9" of untamed tiger flesh :blush:

Lot of beer, lots of ice cream and lots of running the golf course when not riding.

When I go, its gonna be quick. I promise not to hang around as a medical burden to all you young folk. :cool:

I found a Tour Master mesh convertible jacket that fits well and is fairly snug around the 30" waist.

• Member Contributer

Heh. At least they make tall sizes for men. Imagine being the same height and weight, but female.

Custom leathers FTW. I've owned two sets, one from Vanson and one from Z Leather. Both are top notch for quality, but Z has better customer service.

• Member Contributer
Don't you people eat???? :blush:

:dry: +1.gif+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif

What do you mean by "you people", anyway? :blush:

Well, at least for you Pete, you seem to be drinking --judging by your avatar... :cool:

ppm

• Member Contributer
5'6", 130# = nothing fits. :cool:

Was that you riding the Honda V-4 prototype around? :cool:

The guys in the pics didn't have riding gear on, so it's probably safe to say they couldn't find anything appropriate to wear, either!

Don't you people eat???? :cool:

+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif

What do you mean by "you people", anyway? :cool:

Well, at least for you Pete, you seem to be drinking --judging by your avatar... :cool:

ppm

My mouse button got stuck :cool:

Heck, I was 11 lbs, 13 oz when I was born. My mother said I nearly killed her during my birth.

I have never been small (excuse me, slender). I was 6'-2", 185# as a senior in high school.

• Member Contributer

I am 6'4", and due to my shoulders & arms end up getting an XXL in everything. I then have a tailer add plenty of additional velcro to the waist adjusters. You just have to learn to live with it. (or we can sue the manufacturers, since I am a white, single, heterosexual, christian, male, who is in good athletic shape - doesn't this qualify me as a minority in the US now? The government should fix how every manufacturer is prejudiced against me & my kind, correct?:-)

For any out there who might have missed it, I MIGHT have used a LITTLE sarcasm at the end:-)

• Member Contributer
So I'm in the market for a jacket, but all the ones I have tried on seem a little loose around my torso. I'm 5'11" 150lbs. Are there any brands that offer slim fit jackets?

Thanks,

-Chris

Ah, Grasshopper. The solution lies in your member name. Follow its path to standard sizing.

:cool:

Yours truly,

XXL fathead

• Member Contributer

5'7" and 140lbs and I had to send a pair of Alpinestar pants back because I ordered their equivalent of a 30" waist. The waist fit me fine but it was so tight in the crotch I couldn't walk it hurt so bad. Do they think just because we have small waists we have small "gear" as well? :cool:

Custom gear may cost more but you will probably get the most for you money at the end of the day. :cool:

• Member Contributer

Don't you miss the McRib sandwich at all??!! :cool:

Plus, they sell "Gourmet" coffee now in fancy McD plastic cups :cool:

Beck

95 VFR

Never had a McRib (but I do love good 'bbqd ribs!) I thought their coffee used to be some of the worst on the planet. The gourmet stuff is much much better. But I drink coffee only rarely. Same with soda. Stuff is nutritionally bankrupt. Plus, I just like water, milk, juice...

• Member Contributer
+1.gif +1 on Rev'it.

Typhoon jacket and Mistrial pants are great.

They are a tad spendy,but their quality and service are top notch.

sPOTO

Looks good and they even have a few things in women's tall sizes. Less expensive than Rukka, whose size charts they seem to be matching. And the merchant accept returns. There's a 10% restocking fee, but that's a whole lot better than the tall sized Rukka stuff I was looking at before I got the custom leathers, that cost about $2000 for a suit and was not returnable.

But I have to shake my head at the way these companies both offer women's tall sizes only in the smaller sizes. If you're going to offer talls in only part of the size range, wouldn't it make more sense to choose the larger sizes?

+1.gif +1 on Rev'it.

sPOTO

Looks good and they even have a few things in women's tall sizes. Less expensive than Rukka, whose size charts they seem to be matching. And the merchant accept returns. There's a 10% restocking fee, but that's a whole lot better than the tall sized Rukka stuff I was looking at before I got the custom leathers, that cost about $2000 for a suit and was not returnable.

But I have to shake my head at the way these companies both offer women's tall sizes only in the smaller sizes. If you're going to offer talls in only part of the size range, wouldn't it make more sense to choose the larger sizes?

The key I've found to a good fitting custom made suit is to have the person making the suit measure you. I had a Bates suit once (used their forms and had the wife measure me) and it fit in some places, in others it didn't. Syed in Orlando did a suit for me that fit great before I lost a lot of weight. I rode down to Orlando and had him measure me himself.

• Member Contributer
+1.gif +1 on Rev'it.

sPOTO

The key I've found to a good fitting custom made suit is to have the person making the suit measure you. I had a Bates suit once (used their forms and had the wife measure me) and it fit in some places, in others it didn't. Syed in Orlando did a suit for me that fit great before I lost a lot of weight. I rode down to Orlando and had him measure me himself.

I used to visit Boston regularly for work, so I went to Vanson's store in Fall River MA and had them measure me. They dragged their feet for an entire season but they did eventually make the suit, and it fit very well, until I lost 1/3 of my body weight. I'd have bought another Vanson suit, except that I couldn't bear the thought of having to spend so much time and energy cajoling and threatening them in hopes of getting them to do the work.

Z is in California and I don't get there very often. So I used one of their measurement charts and had a friend measure me. I ended up having to ship it back and have it adjusted, and pay for those adjustments, and wait for them. Even with the second go-round, I got the suit quicker from Z than from Vanson, and it fits nearly as well, the cost was about the same, and I like the leather and the feature set better.

Katherine:

I'm hearing more and more people complain about Vanson over the last couple of years. Everything from deteriorating quality to poor customer service. Check out some of the Ducati websites if you want to hear them get slammed.

How did you lose a third of your body weight?

Pete

I am 6'4", and due to my shoulders & arms end up getting an XXL in everything. I then have a tailer add plenty of additional velcro to the waist adjusters. You just have to learn to live with it.

Slight hijack

Terminex - Have you tried Joe Rocket leather jackets? I'm almost the same size (6'5'') and just got a JR leather jacket in size 50 and it actually fits! The jacket actually has long enough arms and velcro seems to have a large amount of adjustibility. (disclaimer - I've porked up a little since I retired from the military, YMMV).

Action

• Member Contributer
I'm hearing more and more people complain about Vanson over the last couple of years. Everything from deteriorating quality to poor customer service. Check out some of the Ducati websites if you want to hear them get slammed.

Pete

I visited them in Fall River as well. Vanson was great, took their time fitting me. Delivered the jacket on time and it's perfect. I currently have 3 jackets by them and they are all great. Strangely, I don't have my Ducati anymore because I had issues with that.

• Member Contributer

I'm 6', 185# and still have that problem. To get the right shoulder fit and sleeve length I need a large, but that makes the torso too big so I have to have lots of Velcro. The 2-piece suit I have is huge in the midsection (had to take in 5" of waist), but fits perfect for leg and arm length... It's a challenge! Better shape = costs more to buy proper fitting gear.

• Member Contributer
So I'm in the market for a jacket, but all the ones I have tried on seem a little loose around my torso. I'm 5'11" 150lbs. Are there any brands that offer slim fit jackets?

Thanks,

-Chris

Thin + that height = try Rev'It gear. It's not cheap, it's extremely well made, it's great looking stuff. I'm too tall to be really comfortable in anything they have (I really need to get my Rev'It pants modified by having material added to the legs) but you should be in great shape. You may have to search a little for a retailer in your area but it's worth it.

Archived