Pics Of Your Gps Setup

Guest thesal

I just got a Zumo and was looking at mounting it in the steering stem.

I like the mount on the front tank bolts.....what is the part number???

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I have a motorcycle software map for the TomTom1. Its great. Gives you average speed, average distance, time it took, also make the speed show up in a lot larger form. I will turn it on tonight and grab a pic of the display. Was a Bi$&^ to setup, as I had to hack TomTom's original software, but it works awesome now, and I just flip over to it as an app, and I can be back to my normal display in seconds. Makes switching from car to bike seamless.

• Member Contributer
I just got a Zumo and was looking at mounting it in the steering stem.

I like the mount on the front tank bolts.....what is the part number???

I believe it is RAM-b231z. check out this link.

http://products.ram-mount.com/rammount/pro...ber=RAM-B-149ZU

I just had a brain fart....I haven't seen anyone do it....I don't have one but,I was wondering if people with car gp's that aren't water proof could just put them in the map window of their tank bags?

• Member Contributer

Yeah, you could put your GPS in your map bag. I use the suction cup mount on mine and put it on the inside of the windscreen. Protected from wind, water, and the rest of the elements.

• Member Contributer
I just had a brain fart....I haven't seen anyone do it....I don't have one but,I was wondering if people with car gp's that aren't water proof could just put them in the map window of their tank bags?

I tried that before. The problem comes in when you are trying to push a button through the map pouch. You end up either not being able to put enough pressure or the gps moves around. Very distracting and annoying even when parked. I bought the Zumo 450 (prices have really come down and I don't listen to XM radio/phone calls anyway) and it has been great not having to mess with fitting it to the tank bag.

Yeah, you could put your GPS in your map bag. I use the suction cup mount on mine and put it on the inside of the windscreen. Protected from wind, water, and the rest of the elements.

Hi I have a Roadmate attached with RAM Mount to my left handlebar. I also put a power outlet on my center button of the handlebars. I just click this off and put it back in my car. That way I only need one GPS!

Jimgallery_8606_2086_117926.jpg

updated today with a power outlet and GPS mount

gallery_8606_2086_117926.jpg

updated today with a power outlet and GPS mount

I tried that before. The problem comes in when you are trying to push a button through the map pouch. You end up either not being able to put enough pressure or the gps moves around. Very distracting and annoying even when parked. I bought the Zumo 450 (prices have really come down and I don't listen to XM radio/phone calls anyway) and it has been great not having to mess with fitting it to the tank bag.

Good point...I'll circular file my bright idea....

• Member Contributer

Good point...I'll circular file my bright idea....

Well,

that is an issue with the way I (can) set things up.

But I like to get lost while riding my m/c so this is not an issue for me

HPIM6244.jpg

But the bag companies have copped on and now bring out bags where a Garmin and the like fit in perfectly....

• Member Contributer

I just now ordered a Garmin Zumo 550 for my brother. $514.00 to the door. If he had ordered it, there would have been nearly $40.00 sales tax added since it ships from the same state he is located. Seems like a very good price. So if a waterproof GPS is what you want, get this. The latest version doesn't have enough additional features to justify the huge price difference, IMHO, though I am often a fool for having to have the latest and greatest.

I use a non-waterproof Garmin Nuvi 660 on my bike. Works great. I put a ziplock baggie over it when it's drizzling, which works fine. I'm going to get one of those clear soft waterproof cases for it that you can operate the unit right through the soft clear cover, for the really wet days.

• Member Contributer

When it rains, I use a ziplock bag and a rubber band for my satellite radio (see my post above). Old school, but works well.

gallery_2925_321_795819.jpg

100_2805.jpg

• Member Contributer

Although I do not ride a great deal in the rain ......................I have been nailed a couple of times with rain and the roads I was riding did not allow a safe place to pull over and put on a rubber. Unlike a RD In low visibility, l can see the requirement to use the GPS buttons more not less.

Get a waterproof one to start...........if you can afford it :goofy: :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Here's mine:

53.jpg

The only thing I don't like is that sometimes it vibrates a bit. When I am tired and its vibrating its hard to see details at a glance. I am going to work on the mounting at the tank, maybe shave down the rubber grommets or, grind down the spacer tube things a little. Probably should be using longer bolts too as they only grab a few threads...

• Member Contributer

I've moved on from this set-up (to what I'm not yet sure!), but it worked very well when I used to use it. I'm moving to some sort of total waterproof solution I haven't totally figured out yet.

gallery_362_402_1074.jpg

P9100007x.jpg

gallery_362_402_92354.jpg

P9100014x.jpg

What you're looking at is a Garmin 2610 and a Touratech IMO hard-mounted on an alloy and stainless steel "sled" Velcro'd to the bottom of a Bagster/Baglux Alpha tank bag, which (of course) clips onto a Bagster/Baglux tank cover. The electrickery all goes through a couple of waterproof quick-connects, which allowed me to dismount and take the whole tank bag and instrument package with me in a matter of seconds. Later I upgraded to a 2720 with one of those nifty Dutch cradle things (like in Dutchy's photo), but ended up getting a Zumo anyway.

(Bending that alloy tube actually killed my Chinese tubing bender!) :cool:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

That's what I do. Chances are, if I need my GPS, then I'm going to have my tank bag w/ me as well. I now have a slimmer garmin than what's pictured. The plastic window of the map pocket is tight enough that I can just use the GPS like normal through it.

Feb19285.jpg

I'm using a nuvi 260w right now. It was a birthday gift. I use it between the Jeep , PowerWagon and the bikes. Later in the year, I'll get a 550 just for the VFR.

DSCN0524.jpg

DSCN0523.jpg

What is the make and model of the mounting bracket that you have used? Where did you purchase it? I have the 250w NUVI and need the same set up.

• Member Contributer

Careful with that setup Alien. Its gets hotter than hell under that plastic sheet when the sun is shining on it. My mp3 player (has harddrive) shut down cause it got so hot.

For me being such an electronics freak I'm rocking the oldest. LOL Lowrance 500c.

GPS006Small.jpg

GPS005Small.jpg

GPS002Small.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here's maybe a stoopid question....

Can the little suction units that hold on to the inner windshield of the car be used on the tank? They seem to hold pretty dang tight on the windshield.... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Can the little suction units that hold on to the inner windshield of the car be used on the tank? They seem to hold pretty dang tight on the windshield.... :fing02:

They probably would, but the consequences if they didn't could be worse on the bike than in a car where they would just fall to the floor. Also I wonder if there wouldn't be a more movement of the suction unit on the bike than in a car.

• Member Contributer

They probably would, but the consequences if they didn't could be worse on the bike than in a car where they would just fall to the floor. Also I wonder if there wouldn't be a more movement of the suction unit on the bike than in a car.

Depends on the weight of the unit and how much it moves. I tried my little Lowrance 350c and it fell off twice. The cups just stick to plastic/glass better.

I just bought a Magellan 4370 for $250 (everyone else is $300-400). I'll see if it'll out do my lowrance 500c. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I made my own mounts bracket based on the stem mount idea, however i wanted to add a radra detector to it so it was all in one organized stylish mount. Heres the end result-

BTW I use a passport 8500 radar, Vizalert wireless LED alert system, chatterbox XBI for adding my iphone and ipod via bluetooth, the icombi dongle bluetooth adapter to the iphone, and a Delphi gps, all rigged up in a ZOX Genesis SVS helmet.

I love my setup!! Very easy to do!gallery_16959_4551_78194.jpg

vfr10.jpg

gallery_16959_4551_88110.jpg

vfr18.jpg

gallery_16959_4551_32715.jpg

vfr13.jpg

gallery_16959_4551_40286.jpg

vfr12.jpg

gallery_16959_4551_129995.jpg

vfr11.jpg

gallery_16959_4551_69363.jpg

8.jpg

gallery_16959_4551_74453.jpg

6.jpg

gallery_16959_4551_19150.jpg

Zox Genesis SVS with Vizalert and XBI chatterbox.JPG

gallery_16959_4551_110335.jpg

vfr17.jpg

gallery_16959_4551_101302.jpg

vfr15.jpg

gallery_16959_4551_73317.jpg

vfr14.jpg

Well I asked GPS and mounting questions. So here's what I did with all the good info you pep's gave me.......and thank you for ya'll's help.....Monk

gallery_16535_4484_2347420.jpg

DSC00062.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_1737350.jpg

DSC00064.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_1247822.jpg

DSC00066.JPG

My Minimalist GPS setup. Cheap, great on or off the bike, runs forever on batteries, can also be plugged in, easy to take on and off at stops.

gallery_12176_3371_448639.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here's my GPS setup. I used an HPRC box (similar to Pelican), an Aqua box to house the Nuvi 5000, a scrap piece of aluminum bent to mount the aqua box to the HPRC box, A waterproof SAE plug mounted in the back for power and an amplirider to connect the GPS, MP3 player and my phone. I have an external vlume control and headphone connection connected to the amplirider. It's all connected to the bike using a a sw-motech gas cap mounting system. If I'm leaving the bike, I simply unplug the power connector and take the whole thing with me. The power is connected is using a 30amp fuse and a switched relay so it all turns off when the key is turned. So far the setup has worked great. I've ridden in one downpour and everything stayed dry.

16249d12b223b22e.jpg

16249eb4a6ca7e62.jpg

16249eb4a6caa245.jpg

16249eb4a6cac4ae.jpg

16249eb4b2bafc85.jpg

Archived