Pics Of Your Gps Setup

Guest thesal

Hi VFR riders,

after riding to Byron Bay and visiting some people along the way and getting lost lol, i've decided i need a GPS on the bike...i've just started seraching around on here for brands (TomToms, Garmins etc) but was hoping some of you could post some pics / details of your personal bike GPS setups

cheers in advance

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont have an actual pic of mine on my bike, but I have this exact setup on my 6th gen...

IMG_2169.jpg

Garmin Nuvi 200 with a RAM mount which I bought from www.gpscity.com

1. RAM Mount Zinc U-Bolt Rail Base with Standard Arm Diamond Assembly

P/N: RAM-B-149ZU SKU: RAMB149Z

QTY: 1

PRICE EACH: $25.95

ITEM TOTAL: $25.95

2. RAM Mount Garmin nuvi 2xx Series Cradle

P/N: RAM-HOL-GA24U SKU: RAMHOLGA24

QTY: 1

PRICE EACH: $8.19

ITEM TOTAL: $8.19

I'm using a nuvi 260w right now. It was a birthday gift. I use it between the Jeep , PowerWagon and the bikes. Later in the year, I'll get a 550 just for the VFR.

DSCN0524.jpg

DSCN0523.jpg

This may sound dumb but can someone explain how these units work? Can you program a given route in there to follow it? I am planning a big trip and may get one, I have an old handhelp GPS and it is a terrible thing to use. Thanks

I went the cheapest route possible...TomTom One ($50) with a plexiglass mount, self made:

tomtomone_and_bags_002.jpg

The Mount:

tomtomone_and_bags_014.jpg

I modified the TT1, as it is VERY basic, to allow multiple waypoint planning, and also route tracing. Since I last really used it (2300 mile trip) TomTom changed their software so I am embarking on a new quest to re-fix everything...including upgrading the internal memory from 1GB to 4GB to allow for as many Points Of Interest as I can.

To answer 1996900sp:

Yes, I can plan a route with stops along the way and the GPS keeps me on route. If I make a wrong turn (I do it often), the GPS reroutes me. I use Tyre to plan my routes, which uses Google Maps. You can also use regular ITN files from other GPS software. The TomTom One is NOT waterproof in ANY way, so care must be taken that it isn't subject to rain etc. It also does not have bluetooth or a headphone jack (yet, mine is changing) so the voice instructions (very limited with the base model) go unheard.

• Member Contributer

Magellan Crossover 2500

Pros

Waterproof

MP3 player

Fraction of the cost of a Zumo.

Cons

Mapping software is a b*@%h to use. :biggrin:

P1010546.jpg

P1010545.jpg

sp3rc36lj0.jpg

Streetpilot III

I think a big plus of he streetpilots is the option to disable automatic route calculation and their very configurable screen layout. The 2820 is out of production but refurbished units sometimes are avialble at a very good price. My preferred motorcycle GPS solution would be a Garmin Streetpilot 2820 in a Cradle "Blue".

a_pp-klein_1.jpg

This may sound dumb but can someone explain how these units work? Can you program a given route in there to follow it? I am planning a big trip and may get one, I have an old handhelp GPS and it is a terrible thing to use. Thanks

Short answer is yes, you can program a route, either on your PC or the unit itself. Read the Tales of a Zume thread by BonusVFR mentioned in post #2 for further details.

• Member Contributer

I also went the cheap route and bought a $50 TomTom online. Best fifty bucks I ever spent. I bought a triple tree RAM mount to mount it up on the VFR. I swap the GPS unit between the bike and the car all the time. One of my favorite activities is to now just point the bike anywhere and ride new roads for a couple of hours, then just press "navigate home" and voila! I'm home.

• Member Contributer
sp3rc36lj0.jpg

Streetpilot III

I think a big plus of he streetpilots is the option to disable automatic route calculation and their very configurable screen layout. The 2820 is out of production but refurbished units sometimes are avialble at a very good price. My preferred motorcycle GPS solution would be a Garmin Streetpilot 2820 in a Cradle "Blue".

a_pp-klein_1.jpg

Short answer is yes, you can program a route, either on your PC or the unit itself. Read the Tales of a Zume thread by BonusVFR mentioned in post #2 for further details.

****I got this identical Street Pilot III with many, many extras including mount on ADVrider forum for $150 used, is really nice, full color and I am a newbie at GPS so was a great purchase, the plus is full feature, in color, the downside is a bit bulky but the extra $400 I saved over a zumo550 was key, I still dont know how to use everything on the streetpilot but will learn as the prices drop on the 550, thanks Doug ****

Yeah, the older streetpilots are still very useable units. I am only disappointed to hear that Garmin has dropped support for future map updates. The 2009 update will be the last map update availble for GPS units that can not use the compressed (NT) maps :laugh:

If you just acquired your SPIII, start by giving it a hard reset. It will improve responsiveness and is something you better do once a year. It is like a PC with MS Windows installed, it gets slower as time passes.

Yo will lose all chages you have made to the settings, as all will be reset to factory settings. It will also need a bit longer to get a satellite fix on the first startup as the location will have changed to Garmin HQ.

Hard reset:

With the unit switched off

Press the cursor button in any direction at the same time press the power button

Let go of the power button, but continue holding the cursor button

Press together the route and quit button, while you hold these two, let go of the cursor button

The unit should now make a bleep sound. Now release the route and quit buttons

The screen goes blank for about 10 seconds, then restarts

The SPIII even keeps track of how many hours ago it got it's last hard reset:

diagnosticfj5.png

I presume all these units displayed here are waterproof? As I'm looking for a GPS having got very lost going to a gig on Saturday but it were raining for most of the journey, waterproof sat navs for bikes seem soo expensive!! :laugh:

• Member Contributer
I presume all these units displayed here are waterproof? As I'm looking for a GPS having got very lost going to a gig on Saturday but it were raining for most of the journey, waterproof sat navs for bikes seem soo expensive!! :blink:

You're right about the waterproof units being expensive. My TomTom is NOT waterproof, but I've used it in the rain (knock, knock) without any problems so far. While moving, it actually stays quite dry because of the windshield deflection. It's sitting at the stop lights where it can get wet. I am trying to devise a way to protect it from the water and still see the unit clearly. I haven't come up with any good solutions yet, but I'm working on it.

Yeah, the older streetpilots are still very useable units. I am only disappointed to hear that Garmin has dropped support for future map updates. The 2009 update will be the last map update availble for GPS units that can not use the compressed (NT) maps :blink:

If you just acquired your SPIII, start by giving it a hard reset. It will improve responsiveness and something you better do once a year. It is like a PC with MS Windows installed, it gets slower as time passes.

Hard reset:

With the unit switched off

Press the cursor button in any direction at the same time press the power button

Let go of the power button, but continue holding the power button

Press together the route and quit button, while you hold these two, let go of the cursor button

The unit should now make a bleep sound. Now release the route and quit buttons

The screen goes blank for about 10 seconds, then restarts

The SPIII even keeps track of how many hours ago it got it's last hard reset:

diagnosticfj5.png

I think you have a typo....how do you "let go of power button, but continue holding the power button"?

They really don't prevent me from getting lost. They just let me know where I'm at when I'm lost.

• Member Contributer
I presume all these units displayed here are waterproof? As I'm looking for a GPS having got very lost going to a gig on Saturday but it were raining for most of the journey, waterproof sat navs for bikes seem soo expensive!! :blink:

You're right about the waterproof units being expensive. My TomTom is NOT waterproof, but I've used it in the rain (knock, knock) without any problems so far. While moving, it actually stays quite dry because of the windshield deflection. It's sitting at the stop lights where it can get wet. I am trying to devise a way to protect it from the water and still see the unit clearly. I haven't come up with any good solutions yet, but I'm working on it.

My brother has a case designed specifically to keep a GPS and other electronic add-ons dry. It's hard plastic with a soft plastic window that lets you operate the system without removing it from the case. Can't remember the name of it, though, but just google "GPS waterproof case" or the like.

• Member Contributer
Can you program a given route in there to follow it?

You can plan a route on the unit of most GPS but it is not easy to do unless you want the default that the GPS selects. Some units say they store routes. Those you can program with software on your PC and download. I have an old Street Pilot III and have done many routes with back roads, main roads and interstate that would be nearly impossible to do just on the unit itself.

I got a nuvi 750 for the car. it too can take routes from the PC if you get a $15 DVD from Garmin. Unfortunately the new GPS units appear to be more entertainment centers than GPS and many of the good features of the SP III are not available on the new units. For instance Favorites (waypoints) are ONLY shown sorted by distance from location. if you want to do a route with 10 waypoints you'll be searching all over for the ones you want if you have the full 1000 waypoints it will hold. Also you cannot pause a route recalculation just stop the route and then have to reload it when you want to follow it again.

Nuvi 750 has better gps receiver and better screen however and appears to route faster. costs a lot less than SP III did !!

Archived