Pics Of Your Gps Setup

Guest thesal

My Minimalist GPS setup. Cheap, great on or off the bike, runs forever on batteries, can also be plugged in, easy to take on and off at stops.

Ditto. I have a dash mount in my jeep as it is a more accurate speedo for it and I can map out trails and read the topo maps :491: and also you can plug it into a laptop and use it as just a receiver.

l_7889c1d17e9840eb228c1fcb86e5fa03.jpg

l_81db679b4df0d9f87013e74bd8ebd7bb.jpg

Zach571

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
Here's my GPS setup. I used an HPRC box (similar to Pelican), an Aqua box to house the Nuvi 5000, a scrap piece of aluminum bent to mount the aqua box to the HPRC box, A waterproof SAE plug mounted in the back for power and an amplirider to connect the GPS, MP3 player and my phone. I have an external vlume control and headphone connection connected to the amplirider. It's all connected to the bike using a a sw-motech gas cap mounting system. If I'm leaving the bike, I simply unplug the power connector and take the whole thing with me. The power is connected is using a 30amp fuse and a switched relay so it all turns off when the key is turned. So far the setup has worked great. I've ridden in one downpour and everything stayed dry.

Ha! You win. This is almost exactly what I'm "doing" on my current project... Different box, as I need mine to fit an ST1300 (and several other bikes), but also with a SW-Motech mount (they make one with 12v connector built in, you know) and the GPS (and IMO) mounted on the box itself. I've also got my Autocom in the box, so loads more wiring and waterproof connectors to deal with. But, the principle is exactly the same as yours: maximum portability and waterproofness. Good on ya for making the concept work! :huh:

Ciao,

Careful with that setup Alien. Its gets hotter than hell under that plastic sheet when the sun is shining on it. My mp3 player (has harddrive) shut down cause it got so hot.

For me being such an electronics freak I'm rocking the oldest. LOL Lowrance 500c.

GPS005Small.jpg

Oh man, I almost clapped when I saw that it was playing Ronald Jenkees.

I've got a Nuvi 550 on mine, I'll try to get some photos up in a few hours.

I'm using a nuvi 260w right now. It was a birthday gift. I use it between the Jeep , PowerWagon and the bikes. Later in the year, I'll get a 550 just for the VFR.

DSCN0524.jpg

DSCN0523.jpg

What is the make and model of the mounting bracket that you have used? Where did you purchase it? I have the 250w NUVI and need the same set up.

It's all a Ram set-up. Got everything at GPScity.com :huh:

ON the one time I used it on the bike, I just mounted the TomTom under the windscreen using the suction cup and bracket it came with.

However, while it worked well, next time I think I'll stick it on the speedo face, or if it's raining, in my tank bag.

• Member Contributer

For all the Garmin Nuvi users, there is a 12 votl to 5 volt USB conversion cable sold by Gilsson Technologies (www. gilsson.com). It is model gusbv-b. It has about 3" of wire on either side of the transformer. The cost is $16.95 plus shipping verse $25 + I found on other sites.

Here is a picture of my install. I haven't been on any long rides yet but will post up on if I have any problems.

gallery_101_4496_63636.jpg

5 volt Transformer

It is wired up to one of Tightwad's fuse blocks on a relay controlled circuit so it comes on w/ the ignition. I tied it to my RR cooling fan. I have it installed w/ temporary Y jumpers until I decide if I like it that way. Then I will use double crimped connectors to clean up the fuse box area.

gallery_101_4496_75365.jpg

Fuse Box.jpg

Cheers :biggrin:

I presume all these units displayed here are waterproof? As I'm looking for a GPS having got very lost going to a gig on Saturday but it were raining for most of the journey, waterproof sat navs for bikes seem soo expensive!! :biggrin:

You're right about the waterproof units being expensive. My TomTom is NOT waterproof, but I've used it in the rain (knock, knock) without any problems so far. While moving, it actually stays quite dry because of the windshield deflection. It's sitting at the stop lights where it can get wet. I am trying to devise a way to protect it from the water and still see the unit clearly. I haven't come up with any good solutions yet, but I'm working on it.

A zip lock bag and a zip tie smile.gif Ugly, temporary, but it works, and you can still see the GPS through the bag

• Member Contributer

I've got a second stock wind screen. Gonna visit my plexiglass wizard and see if he can do some plastic welding or something

for the TOMTOM930. I am only looking at using the GPS on the bike when taking longer, unknown trips (like to Summer Summit!!)

so I can keep my DB smoked screen for typical use and put the stock clear screen on for tours.

Might even give it a coat of black just for slickness??? I'll post up if anything comes of it, beyond a big molten puddle of plastic.

• Member Contributer

Returned the Magellan 4370. The clear screen resolution was enough to keep it but the mp3 player would skip, slow screen reaction, NO HEADPHONE JACK!!!!!, stupid FM transmitter (I hate these, they're so weak) doesnt always work, only Bluetooth 2.0 (if thats a bad thing). Plays video (avi & divx), but couldnt get it to play any files. LOL

Likes: It did have the option to enter in coordinates. I surprises me how many gps units dont allow this. High resolution screen. Fits in back pocket. Bluetooth, but very small list of phone compatibility. My year old HTC touch pro didnt work with it, but they had even older HTC phones that would.

I got a Garmin Nuvi 780 off of ebay. Mp3 player doesnt skip, pics up satellites instantly. Just need to order a new batter for it and ram mount. The only thing I wish it had is fuel average/total fuel cost/etc on the speed/distant/speed page like the 205w does. O well.

The only beef I have with it is you cant tap the music progress bar to skip ahead on a song.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. smile.gif A map in the tank-bag is the only GPS I've ever used, found the best roads when I'm "lost".

You "OLD GUYS" are all the same. You don't want to get with the hi-tech future.... :blink: ...Monk

Yeah, you could put your GPS in your map bag. I use the suction cup mount on mine and put it on the inside of the windscreen. Protected from wind, water, and the rest of the elements.

I just bought mine and it s more for car use (my wife was always lost :laugh: ) I did use it has you did but was afraid of the succion cup failing to hold thight with all the vibrations on a motorcycle!!! any trouble so far ??? keep me posted ,thanks !!!

• Member Contributer

I've only really NEEDED it once.... went out for a ride with my daughter - just one of those 'get lost and see what we find' rides.' We'll we did. I had absolutely no friggin' idea where we were. I mean, nada - no clue.

It was getting really late and the kid was getting a little cranky. So, I pulled the GPS out of the tank bag, turned it on and told it to 'find home'. Turned out I wasn't ANYWHERE near where I thought I was.

I've used the GPS on long hauls, just to track where we went, speeds, rest times, etc. Unfortunately, on the Catskills run, they had just updated the WAAS output and they hadn't put together the patch for my old GPS-V yet. Thing fritzed and I had absolutely no idea why. All updated now and working great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Here's mine for a Garmin nuvi, just completed mounts off the brake MC cover. Black anodized 1/8" thick aluminum, I glued a thin piece of cork to the bottom to protect the top of the cover. Works great!

CIMG1437.jpg

The hardest part was finding the 17mm dia mounting ball. Haven't made a power connection yet.

CIMG1435.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Okay, this submission is my shot at 'oldest GPS mounted on a VFR' catagory. The GPS-V, from the Mesozoic Era, mounted on my tank and wired via a Powerlet.

5932_1130367212741_1034043525_30420.jpg

Archived