First Wreck!

Guest Vfrholmes08

Guest Vfrholmes08

First of all I hate that I am posting this! However, I want to hear about anyone else's experience. One of the first great weather days we have had a while in East Tennessee area. I was not going too fast or being careless. Just a situation of circumstances and I hit some fine gravel, sand and a wet spot and booooom I am going down in a twisty on 129. I plan on posting up some pics soon of the damage. Fairings busted and a few other small things but it all adds up. No major injuries, just a dislocated pinky on the side I went down on. However, my wife is scared to death about my safety now. She has also said she wants me to either fix and get rid of the Viffer or trade to a cruiser. I am getting all kinds of excuses like " It wasnt comfortable enough for her anyways". This sucks lol!

1. How did your first wreck go down?

2. Any advice for the wife?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Well, my first wreak was a slow drop in the garage. After $1500 damages, thank god for insurance, I got the viffer all fixed up. Personaly, I think the vfr is an extremely safe bike. Cruisies, In my opionion, are death mobiles. Yes, I said a bike that can go 150 is safer than a slow old cruiser.

It's all about control. When your on a vfr, you have a perfect feel of the bike and road. Great amout of feedback, a sport position that isn't too sport, and a braking system with enough stopping power to stop a bus with kids(figure of speech, but its powerful).

A cruiser, the posistion is like a lazy boy, and well, I personally fall asleep on the chair. Also, not all crusiers have horrible brakes but cough cough Harley Davidson cough could improve. Bikes like that with such high center of gravities and tons of weight should have car brakes on them.

Personally, you can't let a crash stop you. One learns from a crash. Now you understand the limits of the VFR more.

Fix it and RIDE!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer
Well, my first wreak was a slow drop in the garage. After $1500 damages, thank god for insurance, I got the viffer all fixed up. Personaly, I think the vfr is an extremely safe bike. Cruisies, In my opionion, are death mobiles. Yes, I said a bike that can go 150 is safer than a slow old cruiser.

It's all about control. When your on a vfr, you have a perfect feel of the bike and road. Great amout of feedback, a sport position that isn't too sport, and a braking system with enough stopping power to stop a bus with kids(figure of speech, but its powerful).

A cruiser, the posistion is like a lazy boy, and well, I personally fall asleep on the chair. Also, not all crusiers have horrible brakes but cough cough Harley Davidson cough could improve. Bikes like that with such high center of gravities and tons of weight should have car brakes on them.

Personally, you can't let a crash stop you. One learns from a crash. Now you understand the limits of the VFR more.

Fix it and RIDE!!!!!!!!

Having enjoying both sport and crusier riding - I really think its rider dependant on "safe" or not.

- Back to thread topic, I was fortuate to not have a wife on my one and only nasty wreck - jeez decades ago. Much later I was married for a few short years, and she more and more got in the way of riding and was the subject of arguments - so I divorced her.

Lesson learned - dont get hooked up with a woman that doesnt understand a riding lifestyle!

MD

• Member Contributer

Fix it, or upgrade to an ABS model. If your seat is torn/ripped/burnt/whatever, upgrade to to the corbin gunfighter + lady seat w/ backrest (I know that's not a 6th gen pic, but the link is...)

b_1171.jpg

If I had been on my old shadow instead of the VFR, I would have hit that moose at 65+. And my GF would have hit my wreckage... Keep the Viffer. For safety's sake.

Sorry to hear it!!

I went down this time last year due to a cold and wet/muddy road. Wasn't going overly fast, but fast enough to (almost) tank slap with the rear wheel locked up and chain clackety-clacking over the sprocket teeth... all I could do was try and keep it upright and hope to lose as much speed as possible before hitting the guardrail at an angle.

Totalled the front end and lot's of plastic and footpeg assy and RHS handlebar bits, etc... Sprained right knee, ankle and crushed big toe... 2 months off work, but the scabby insurance rehab cut me off too soon and now I feel it with the cold weatherback...maybe some laps in the pool this year will do some good... I was in a long-term relationship at the time, and while she didn't get too heavy with the "told you so" and "give it away" sermons, she did make the staunch statement of "I no longer feel any need to get on the back of a bike". Something she really never did except to pick her up from work. I had slowly been bringing her round to the idea of purchasing a full textile suit... I had refused to take her out on day trips without one. She didn't insist overmuch... figures...

I basically use the right to silence in such matters... later on I usually fess up that it has certainly made me give a real close look at my desire to ride and the risks involved and when you add it all up, 20 years of legal on-road riding experience and many more off-road bush-bashing, it was a freak accident (as was yours) and not likely to repeat itself. There are many other things that could happen to me with similar consequences...

She used the cost factor after that... as the shop quote was almost what I paid for the bike. I paid 6000 € and the quote (down to the last bolt replaced) was 5500 €. I bought the bits and pieces secondhand from a wreckers and put it back together myself for 1800 €. The sum of purchase price and repairs still had me spending less than the asking price on the market for a 2003 VTEC. I had bought mine from a friend at the trade-in price they offered him at the Kawasaki dealers (he boght a zx-10r).

So the "other half" had little recall on the economic front. Her case wasn't helped by the 5000 € insurance payout for bodily harm and such...

We're no longer together if that's any condolence :biggrin:

Sorry I couldn't be of help!!

Im not sure upgrading to an abs model would of made any different in an accident like this, but I think your wife is just upset and still in shock. I'm sure over time she will calm down, the VFR is the thinking man's sportbike and she is a very safe beast to have beneath you... the VFR that is :biggrin: I hope you get back on the road sooner rather than later.

Take it easy

Steve

• Member Contributer
She has also said she wants me to either fix and get rid of the Viffer or trade to a cruiser.

:ohmy:

tell her that if you go for a cruiser,

you want sex every night...... :biggrin:

That should put a a stop to her talking nonsense...

What's next?

Stop drinking beer?

Watch TV?

:blush:

• Member Contributer

I know it didn't sound like ABS would have made a difference at all. But it will sound safer to her. And is in different circumstances, like mine with the moose...

• Member Contributer

My wife and I have been together for over 25 years.............She knew I was a nut when she married me.

If I'm not trekking through some forest chasing bears, deer or moose or out in the boat in the north Atlantic, way to far for such a small boat, I'm on my motorcycle going on some adventure.

She used to hassle me all the time that I was going to kill myself. Enough close calls convinced here.

I have a bunch of life insurance and I reason this way..............She has two choices....I can sit at home watching TV and grow old and she'll end up wiping oatmeal from my chin as I keep saying over and over "I should have, I should have...."

Or, I can live on the edge, most likely die doing something I love at a relatively young age, she gets the insurance money while she is still young enough to enjoy it............

She thought about it a bit and then told me to go out and buy an MV Agusta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Recently she told me I look better riding in jeans and a T-Shirt rather than the leathers............What do you think that means?

My wife and I have been together for over 25 years.............She knew I was a nut when she married me.

Recently she told me I look better riding in jeans and a T-Shirt rather than the leathers............What do you think that means?

She has a new boy/girlfriend? You actually DO look better riding in jeans and a t-shirt? She already knows what she is going to spend the insurance money on? IDK. She is a woman so what she said probably has no relationship to what she meant. :biggrin: (Uh Oh, I just heard "Thats not true" from over my shoulder............................... :blush:

Oh yeah, my first wreck was on my Triumph Bonneville 650 in 1975 - hit a fine dusting of sand in a curve and next thing I knew I was on the pavement leaving a large amount of skin in my wake. Still have the scars to show for it. Thats how I learned a long time ago - ATGATT!

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the club!

Don't let the wreck scare you, but don't forget it either. Learn from it. Figure out what caused the accident, what could you have done to avoid it, why did you not do it, what will you do to prevent a similar accident in the future.

As for your wife, I don't have a good advice for you. You two got to figure it out on your own.

P.S. And my first wreck... it happened on my very first motorcycle ride. Made a circle around the parking lot, parked the bike... and dropped it. Talking about embarassment.

• Member Contributer

First of all I am glad that you were not seriously injured. I had an accident years ago and had only a couple minor brusies. Picked up the bike and rode it home, but the damages totaled 1100 bucks.

The wife was pretty upset at first but she understands my passion and knows that I wear all of the gear on every ride.

• Member Contributer
Welcome to the club!

Don't let the wreck scare you, but don't forget it either. Learn from it. Figure out what caused the accident, what could you have done to avoid it, why did you not do it, what will you do to prevent a similar accident in the future.

As for your wife, I don't have a good advice for you. You two got to figure it out on your own.

What he said, and good luck :biggrin:

I do ride my cruiser a bit "different" however,,, ya have to cuz it will not react as well when you NEED it too.

First of all I hate that I am posting this! However, I want to hear about anyone else's experience. One of the first great weather days we have had a while in East Tennessee area. I was not going too fast or being careless. Just a situation of circumstances and I hit some fine gravel, sand and a wet spot and booooom I am going down in a twisty on 129. I plan on posting up some pics soon of the damage. Fairings busted and a few other small things but it all adds up. No major injuries, just a dislocated pinky on the side I went down on. However, my wife is scared to death about my safety now. She has also said she wants me to either fix and get rid of the Viffer or trade to a cruiser. I am getting all kinds of excuses like " It wasnt comfortable enough for her anyways". This sucks lol!

2. She is talking purely out of emotion. Let her calm down and come back to reality.

You get the bike YOU want to ride. SHE can get the cruiser if she wants one. It does not matter what kind of bike you have...they are all motorcycles and subject to the same laws of physics and gravity. Somehow people think/feel cruisers are safer somehow. :blush:

Glad you are not banged up and your pinky will heal in no time. Get over it, get back in the saddle and get back on the road. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
2. She is talking purely out of emotion. Let her calm down and come back to reality.

#3 they are all motorcycles and subject to the same laws of physics and gravity. Somehow people think/feel cruisers are safer somehow. :blush:

#4 Glad you are not banged up and your pinky will heal in no time. Get over it, get back in the saddle and get back on the road. :biggrin:

:ohmy: on #2

And #3, +1.gif also, all I'm I was sayin is I ride differently on my VFR compared to the VTX, on the VTX I am slower (have to) and realize I have someone one the back that is not in control of their life, thats MY responsability, sure things can,,, and will happen when you don't expect but their safety is # 1 to me.

#4 another +1.gif

One of the first great weather days we have had a while in East Tennessee area. I was not going too fast or being careless.

Sorry for being blunt, but when you are in a single vehicle crash you exceeded the limits of the conditions at hand and or your skill level. So you were going too fast and you were being careless. Next time take it down a few more notches after bad weather.

• Member Contributer
One of the first great weather days we have had a while in East Tennessee area. I was not going too fast or being careless.

Sorry for being blunt, but when you are in a single vehicle crash you exceeded the limits of the conditions at hand and or your skill level. So you were going too fast and you were being careless. Next time take it down a few more notches after bad weather.

I would never marry someone that didn't support my riding 100%. After a lifetime of riding motorcycles, it's in my blood and always will be. As much as I hate to say it, I would never stay in a relationship where I didn't get all of the support I need. But that's neither here nor there for you. Cruisers are no more safe than any other bike. It's all about the rider. Not sure what kind of rider education that you have, but get some more. Tell her that you see the error of your ways and you will now be the most educated rider out there. Take the MSF advanced rider course and take a couple of track schools. It will calm her down and make you a safer rider, which is better for the both of you.

It has been 16 years ago now, but as I remember it.... very painfully.

First, is this battle important to you?

I would ask her to find the statistic that shows that a cruiser is inherently safer than a sporting bike. They may or may not be, but the point is that she is jousting in platitudes (I don't say that to insult her, but she is). The key to safe riding is the rider, you not the motorcycle you happen to be astride.

Make sure that you have enough insurance that your family can meet obligations and continue on current course without you. That is your obligation as a husband.

Have a frank discussion about death, living wills, quality of life issues, etc. If you have not done this already, then shame on you. This too is your obligation to each other as a married couple. She must know where you stand, in detail, should the worst happen. The burden of decision should not be on her shoulder... it is yours, she should only have to speak your words at that time.

I suspect that motorcycling is important to you. But say you give up motorcycles and drive to work every day only to be T-boned by a tractor trailer 2 years from now while crossing an intersection while changing CDs. Did she make a difference by getting you off a bike? Not really. I suspect her real fears lay in the two paragraphs above.

Death can come knocking at your door for any number of reasons, both known and unknown. Ultimately, it is your decision. You control your actions....

Will you arrive safely at 72 years old to die quietly in your sleep?

Will you arrive at 72 years old having lived a life of adventure to die quietly in your sleep while remembering those adventures and the appreciation of life that they gave you only to die quietly in your sleep?

Will you crash your bike next summer, break your neck and end up in a wheelchair?

Will you choke on a chicken bone and die at a resturaunt in front of a crowd of people?

Do you have a genetic marker for colon cancer or prostrate cancer? Heart disease?

There is no right answer... there is your answer... and that is really the only one that matters. It is your life. Don't arrive at the end and have too many regrets, but realize that you also have obligations to meet all along the way.

• Member Contributer

1) Hit an oil slick mid turn and lowsided about 3 months after starting riding. Messed with my head and riding skills for a long time. Subsequent crashes, even though much worse, haven't messed with my head nearly as much.

PC050058.jpg

(Yes, those black things with red labels on the side of the road are brand new quart bottles of oil, a whole case worth of them)

PC050039.jpg

2) Give her some time, she should come around. Buying a 7 figure life insurance policy may also help :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

First of all, I'm very glad you're ok.

Second, explain to the wife that a cruiser is no safer than a sport bike, and in reality due to better handling, braking, accelerating, etc, a sportbike is actually a safer machine than most cruisers.

Anyway, here's my crash record...

I started riding when I was 16, and at 33 now, I've never been without a bike. I'd consider myself really lucky, but proper gear has helped over the years. I've learned lessons from every crash and every mile I've ever traveled...

Crash 1: Hit a deer, but didn't go down. 1971 Honda CB350

Crash 2: Lowsided the front tire in a parking lot in winter time. Learned my lesson about cold tires that morning. 1985 Kawasaki GPz 550

Crash 3: Car pulled out in front of me and I locked up the rear wheel. Bike went sideways and when I let go of the brakes it snapped back and tossed me. Learned my lesson on use of rear brakes. Cage driver never stopped. 1981 Kawasaki KZ750 ltd

Crash 4: Hit a deer, learned my lesson about wearing gloves. 1985 Honda Shadow 500

Crash 5: Drunk driver rear ended me. Nothing I could do about it. 1985 Honda Shadow 500

Crash 6: Hit a deer. Deer actually hit me and exploded. Gross. 1985 Yamaha FJ600

Crash 7: Hit a deer. 1994 Ducati 900 Supersport CR

Crash 8: Hit a deer. 1999 Suzuki TL1000R

Crash 9: Hit a deer. Didn't go down. 2003 Honda VFR 800

Crash 10: Hopefully never...

Your not a victom of circumstance, your a victom of inexperience, bike control ect, unfortunately its not unusual for this to happen though.

Glad you'll get another shot at it, but next time, you'll need a different reaction, instead of light sand a gravel, could be golfball size rocks. But scenario will present itself again.

So analize what happened, there's no reason to crash on the street unless you Fk up, its the easiest terrain you'll ever ride.

Archived