North East Kansas Vfrd Meet

2894112616_d6960dee8f_o.jpg

The (inagural ?) North East Kansas VFRD Meet went off without a hitch and was a good success.

Thank you to everyone who came to join in. Clockwise from the lower left:

gswanson - Gary

redviffer01 - Daniel

hondalover - Mike

Lee 2002 - Lee

94KansasVFR - Corey

panamawing - Mike

tbone - Troy

huskysooner - Dave

Things got off to a poor start when tbone had to get some help from my youngest daughter to pass the entrance exam.

2894112704_8f10bf551b.jpg

After he finally passed, we headed out. Of course there were some that needed to top off their tanks... so I took this photo for you H.S. ... 'cause I know that gas station photos are your favorite.

2893271175_09b664f544.jpg

After fueling-up, we hit the road and went right to Alma, Kansas where we stopped to re-group and cool down in front of the county courthouse.

2893271327_b09c9ba3f1.jpg

After we were all re-hydrated we hit the chip-n-seal backroads to Alta Vista. They were holding their "Old Settler's" day parade. We should have rode right down main street, we would have been the biggest attraction.... but we had to detour around... We did, however, stop at the the mill wheel at the entrance to town.

2893271433_964b459c73.jpg

After Alta Vista we did quite a few miles without a break... we took a little detour though for one particular photo stop..

I noticed a few days ago that V4 Rosso had a photo of a VFR in front of a windmill... I though, "We can do that!" So we stopped at the Dutch Mill in Wamego, Kansas for a brief photo shoot.

2894112214_74895931ac.jpg

2894112336_b44e679250.jpg

Upon returning to my house after completing our ~170 mile ride, Mike (hondalover) broke out the FLAF that he has been safeguarding since MotoGP Indy. It was time to get some signatures added before the FLAF is returned to SEBSPEED for his Fall Catskills ride next weekend.

2893272135_c4f0aa5b95.jpg

After 6 new signatures were added (hondalover and gswanson had already signed) it was time to eat, drink and tell stories and discuss the day.

This photo is for you, Skuuter. (stay with us)

2894113528_efc7d9840d.jpg

I want to thank everyone for making the trip and making the day a success. Very Cool.

I noticed a few days ago that V4 Rosso had a photo of a VFR in front of a windmill... I though, "We can do that!" So we stopped at the Dutch Mill in Wamego, Kansas for a brief photo shoot.

Thanks for posting that pic, also nice to see it is kept in great shape :biggrin: I think it is a unique model too as I have never seen one quite like it.

Thanks for posting that pic, also nice to see it is kept in great shape :biggrin: I think it is a unique model too as I have never seen one quite like it.

I'm glad you took a look. Isn't it interesting that a small bit of technology from your country exists in the middle of my country.

Guest 94KansasVFR
Thanks for posting that pic, also nice to see it is kept in great shape :fing02: I think it is a unique model too as I have never seen one quite like it.

I'm glad you took a look. Isn't it interesting that a small bit of technology from your country exists in the middle of my country.

Lee - Want to thank you again for organizing the ride and being such overly gracious host! 5 STARS! 424px-5_Star.svg.png

I don't post much to this forum (read mostly) but now that I can put some faces to the handles, I imagine that may change. It was great meeting each of you that attended and I look forward to riding with any of you again! Felt bad I had to jet out so early afterwards (did count 5 deer on the side of the road though!) which is why the wife hates me driving in the dark... not a huge fan of it myself!

I am all in for the 2nd annual NEK ride! :fing02:

I don't post much to this forum (read mostly) but now that I can put some faces to the handles, I imagine that may change. It was great meeting each of you that attended and I look forward to riding with any of you again! Felt bad I had to jet out so early afterwards (did count 5 deer on the side of the road though!) which is why the wife hates me driving in the dark... not a huge fan of it myself!

I am all in for the 2nd annual NEK ride! :comp13:

Corey, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you came up and enjoyed yourself. We'll have to work something out and do 177 down toward your neck of the woods.

So....... I watched your calender girl video.... your wife hates you driving at night because of deer alongside the road but she has no problem with you filming 12 lovely girls in bikinis from the local university? Nice production... you are good at what you do. Makes it tough to go to work in the morning, eh? Maybe next time you are up here filming something like that you would need a guy to pin on microphones or shine a light or something?

Those girls are hot... I was thinking of a local radio station's beauty contest... those girls were not hot.

Stay in touch, we'll go riding again.

Corey signing the FLAF

2894112956_50512183e4.jpg

• Member Contributer

I am happy to have met all those that attended. I had a great time as usual with fellow VFRDers. My vote is to do it again next year. And as is par for the course, great hospitality from the host. A big THANKS, to Lee, your the greatest!! :comp13:

• Member Contributer

:comp13: Big thumbs up for Saturday's GREAT ride through the flint hills of Kansas! Super people, Fantastic food, Awesome Host! Thanks everyone and especially Lee and his family for a Wonderful Saturday afternoon!

Thanks again!

• Member Contributer

Looks like a great trip! Sorry I ended up bailing out on the deal, looks like everyone had a pretty good time. Was the route you took decent? I had almost forgotten about the mill in Wamego, I grew up maybe 60 miles from there but not a lot of reason to go there, Topeka was the shopping destination when I was young.

Anyway, looks like a good time, glad it all went well.

• Member Contributer

This was my first group ride ever, and I had an absolute blast! I hope indeed this was the "First Annual." Thanks to Lee and his family for the warm hospitality and the outstanding food. The route was fun, and the company was laid-back and very friendly.

Special thanks to hondalover/Mike for running sweep most of the day and keeping me safely shepherded. I even got to run lead bike for a few miles, though I think that was more an artifact of the group stopping and waiting for us to catch up :comp13:. My first thought was that a bunch of Harleys were overtaking us, but I didn't think I was that slow (my mirrors suck). Lee also ran sweep for a bit near the end of the ride -- thanks!

I didn't see any deer on my way home, just lots of K-State fans heading home after the game.

:fing02: Big thumbs up for Saturday's GREAT ride through the flint hills of Kansas! Super people, Fantastic food, Awesome Host! Thanks everyone and especially Lee and his family for a Wonderful Saturday afternoon!

Thanks again!

I'm happy you made the trip.

2893272543_c169afb4be.jpg

This was my first group ride ever, and I had an absolute blast! I hope indeed this was the "First Annual." Thanks to Lee and his family for the warm hospitality and the outstanding food. The route was fun, and the company was laid-back and very friendly.

Special thanks to hondalover/Mike for running sweep most of the day and keeping me safely shepherded. I even got to run lead bike for a few miles, though I think that was more an artifact of the group stopping and waiting for us to catch up :fing02: . My first thought was that a bunch of Harleys were overtaking us, but I didn't think I was that slow (my mirrors suck). Lee also ran sweep for a bit near the end of the ride -- thanks!

I didn't see any deer on my way home, just lots of K-State fans heading home after the game.

We are going to put you to work in the future.... you will be responsible for picking the right day so that we have perfect motorcycling weather. Of course the penalty for rain will be harsh.

Do you know that when Mike was leading we were pretty much running the same pace as when I was leading? You were hanging right with them for that stretch. You were riding a lot faster at the end of the day than you were at the beginning. I just hope you were riding at your comfort level. Would love to ride with you again.

I am happy that you didn't see or hit any deer on the way home.... but, if you catch a K-State fan in the road ---- HIT 'EM! Of course, I used to say that about Sooner fans too.... but now I've met one I liked.

2894113330_101977754b.jpg

So, what did you all think of the Flaf? Was it everything you dreamed it would be?

I spent the better part of Sunday just sitting in front of the TV looking at the names on it. Some were really obscure and must be rare posters. Others are like the Who's-Who of VFRD.

It is crazy to think how many places in the world that thing has been.

great stuff, you'll have to swing by the sweater across the pond for us VFRD'ers here in the UK :fing02:

It gets returned to SEBSPEED next. I guess he will be responsible for determining where it goes from there.

great stuff, you'll have to swing by the sweater across the pond for us VFRD'ers here in the UK :fing02:

It gets returned to SEBSPEED next. I guess he will be responsible for determining where it goes from there.

I was thinking that after all this nonsensical driving it around and stuffing it in a shipping box, we could get back to the rules and hand it off to the guy who rode the farthest to get to the ride...

Looks like a great trip! Sorry I ended up bailing out on the deal, looks like everyone had a pretty good time. Was the route you took decent?

It would have been awesome if you could have made it. But we would have needed to make more food.

I hope some others chime in about how they felt about the route. I know that K-99 south of Alma was popular. But I would love to get some feedback about the whole loop... what was the best, parts that arent worth riding

tbone mentioned that he really liked Old K-10 heading west out of Alma. To me, it is a scary road with the 5-wire fences three foot off the edge.

To me, the route is awesome... but I don't get out much. I want to hear what the "foreigners" thought about it.

I was thinking that after all this nonsensical driving it around and stuffing it in a shipping box, we could get back to the rules and hand it off to the guy who rode the farthest to get to the ride...

Ladies and Gentlemen, the FLAF has left the building. SEB will have it tomorrow.

I kinda have to disagree a little on the mode of transportation thing. Since rides are by nature going to happen in certain types of terrain, there are some parts of the country that the FLAF will never go to. Therefore, there are some members who will never have the FLAF within, say, a 300 mile radius of them. Is that fair?

All you have to do is look at the map to see that it is easier for some to get to the FLAF than others.

Just my opinion.

Well Lee, first I just want to say THANKS for everything. I can't think of one thing that I would have changed. The food was GREAT and hit the spot. The riding was also great and really liked the route. Although I must admit ripping curves on public roads is not what I'm used to. I guess that's why I haven't gone exploring for nice roads in my area. I'm so much more comfortable being on the track where I don't have to worrry about cops, traffic, gravel, tractors, etc... Don't get me wrong, I had a blast it just took me a while to get into a comfort zone. Actually, I don't think I ever was in a comfort zone but I was still having a lot of fun. It was great meeting fellow VFR riders and hope some of you guys can make it up to MAM for the boo bash Sunday Oct 26th. Once I know the details I'll let everyone know.

I thought the route was great overall.

I signed the flaf:)

I thought the route was great overall.

I signed the flaf:)

tbone can obviously take a joke too. Great guy who took a little time to play with my pestering daughter. I just thought that I would have a little fun with the photo.

You and hondalover should go riding together.... fast guys. 'Cause I was just a rolling road block for you.

Yes, you did sign the FLAF... we got the proof.

2893272365_a358a638d0.jpg

• Member Contributer

Lee,

I thought the route was super. No, it wasn't as tight and technical as the Ozarks can be, but to me that was a positive. It gave me time to look around a part of the country I had not seen before. I really liked the rolling hills and sweepers, made the bugs smash so much better. I can't imagine riding without a helmet, my forehead would have been a gooey mess.

Another VFRD ride with new people to meet. You would think you might meet someone you don't like. Hasn't happened yet for me. Hell, even the sooner fan was an OK guy! Just kidding Dave. Turns out we both grew up in the same city.

I also want to echo everyone else's thanks for your hospitality. You and Heather really went above and beyond in making sure we were all extremely well fed. It was greatly appreciated. I look forward to next years get together.

HEY! We got pinned and made the front page.... Whooot!

I can't imagine riding without a helmet, my forehead would have been a gooey mess.

I didn't think there were too many bugs... but when I looked at my bike the next morning there were a whole lot of yellow guts on the front end.

Hell, even the sooner fan was an OK guy!

Isn't that crazy... I figured I was going to have to have my house Sanfordized after having him over. Turns out Dave is a normal guy.

If a Jayhawk and a Sooner can find common ground, then there is still hope for World Peace in our time.

I look forward to next years get together.

We'll take the matter under consideration.

Archived