Hard Bags, Waiting For Paint To Dry

marid2apterbilt

Got a set of Slow red Oem bags from another member here on vfrd..

Finally got them home to inspect and possibly paint.. Well i decided on A non glossy black due to some scratches on the bags..

Rustoleim makes a Hammered style paint for plastic metal , etc..

Looks OK but is a little on the gray side.. Here are a few pics of the left bag, Right side needs another coat and to finish drying..

With flash

1000002ho8.jpg

Without flash

1000006da8.jpg

Hey that doesn't look too bad. Nice job. Now we need to see some pics mounted in the Sun. BY the way you are going to love those things they are sooooooooo useful.

• Member Contributer

Bike parts in the kitchen..... now THAT'S dedication ! ! :blink:

Pass the Lawry's Seasoning Salt, Please. Oh, and I'll need the blender to mix paint for the next coat ! !

:comp13:

:comp13:

Hey Sam, the 1980's called, they want their toaster back. tongue.gif

Congrats on getting the best frame sliders available for the VTEC! :comp13:

Now go "drag a bag"! :comp13:

gallery_5444_3979_26810.jpg

Railin 421 in Shady Valley Hey look, sparkles!

• Member Contributer

Why you got to be like that Seb. That is my job!

Got a set of Slow red Oem bags from another member here on vfrd..

Finally got them home to inspect and possibly paint.. Well i decided on A non glossy black due to some scratches on the bags..

Rustoleim makes a Hammered style paint for plastic metal , etc..

Looks OK but is a little on the gray side.. Here are a few pics of the left bag, Right side needs another coat and to finish drying..

With flash

1000002ho8.jpg

Without flash

1000006da8.jpg

A non-glossy clear coat may help darken the color and reduce any scratches.

I used their paint in sand texture to cover scuffs on my bar ends, mirrors and right crank cover.

Saves a lot of time especially when you're not a very good prepper. +1.gif :laugh:

Which would be me........ sad.gif

Congrats on getting the best frame sliders available for the VTEC! :blink:

Now go "drag a bag"! :unsure:

Every time I see this picture. I wonder how close is the center stand is to lifting the rear tire off the road. :biggrin: The center stand on my CB1 is beveled from doing that.

Ha Ha Ha thanks for the laughs guys..

No you cant have the blender, It makes great frozen Beverages for the ladies that visit..

Seb..

Back in the 80's they made things to last.. too bad I had to get rid of the 1974 washer and dryer, they worked better than I do...

Motorcycle parts in the kitchen ??? Im a Bachelor, Where else do i put them.. Want pics of the bike in the living room with a big screen ??

Every time I see this picture. I wonder how close is the center stand is to lifting the rear tire off the road. :excl: The center stand on my CB1 is beveled from doing that.

No center stand, just peg feeler. I'm too lazy to unbolt them, so I just grind them down when I ride... :unsure:

Every time I see this picture. I wonder how close is the center stand is to lifting the rear tire off the road. :excl: The center stand on my CB1 is beveled from doing that.

No center stand, just peg deeler. I'm too lazy to unbolt them, so I just grind them down when I ride... :unsure:

My guess is that 3 - 4 mph faster and he would have needed a roll of duct tape to keep his gold Bond from falling out of the Hard bags :excl: and a left side radiator.. Still great shot though.. Everybody that day (me excluded) really knew where the limits of there bikes were.

P.S.

Seb my new camera is a 10 mega pixel with ISO settings, When you coming back down.

I almost bought a FUJI similar to yours and Brians..

• Member Contributer

Seb:

Do you just post pic that every chance you get???

(Then again, had it been me, I would!)

-t

No center stand, just peg deeler. I'm too lazy to unbolt them, so I just grind them down when I ride... :unsure:

My guess is that 3 - 4 mph faster and he would have needed a roll of duct tape to keep his gold Bond from falling out of the Hard bags :excl: and a left side radiator.. Still great shot though.. Everybody that day (me excluded) really knew where the limits of there bikes were.

P.S.

Seb my new camera is a 10 mega pixel with ISO settings, When you coming back down.

I almost bought a FUJI similar to yours and Brians..

Gotta know your limits, and ride in your comfort zone. 3-4 more mph I would have had to hang off more, and woulda needed duct tape for the new hole in the knee of my textile pants... :excl: Definately wasn't endagering my ability to get home that day, esp after the radiator incident the day before!

Seb:

Do you just post pic that every chance you get???

(Then again, had it been me, I would!)

-t

I haven't in a while, but yeah, it's a great shot! :unsure: :excl:

What's worse(better?) is I had it blown up into a 24x36" poster to put in the garage next to my big CBR/dragon Killboy poster... :excl:

• Member Contributer
Sam, you got any install pics yet? Remember to leave all the fasteners loose until they're all in, then tighten. Big PITA otherwise!

:excl: And I've been loosening the passenger pegs during install which seems to make a big difference on my bike :unsure: .

Sam, you got any install pics yet? Remember to leave all the fasteners loose until they're all in, then tighten. Big PITA otherwise!

Now you tell me.. Might I also add that the directions state a specific order to install the braces for the fender.. Yes I had to read the directions.. I almost started cussing it.. It was actually pretty simple once I added a pint of whiskey :unsure:

They need another coat of paint and the color is a little gray but its not a bad match really.. As long as your not too picky.. The prep work to repaint them would have been a real pita with the scratch repair work that was already done to them..

You cant tell they were ever rashed at all now..

The angle makes them look grayer than they are

1000018ql6.jpg

Yes the locals drive John deer tractors, 1 was even riding a International farm tractor.

1000020ee4.jpg

Early morning with flash

1000015ac6.jpg

Did you know there are actually 2 foot hills pkwys in TN.. Here is 1 I bet even Skuuter hasnt posted.

1000021sd8.jpg

And another 1 of the Oem hard bags..

1000017od0.jpg

• Member Contributer
A non-glossy clear coat may help darken the color and reduce any scratches.

I used their paint in sand texture to cover scuffs on my bar ends, mirrors and right crank cover.

Saves a lot of time especially when you're not a very good prepper. :excl: :unsure:

Which would be me........ sad.gif

I've had real good luck with dupli-color's bumper paint (gray or black). It has a slight textured, no gloss finish and a flex agent in it.

• Member Contributer
My guess is that 3 - 4 mph faster and he would have needed a roll of duct tape to keep his gold Bond from falling out of the Hard bags :unsure: and a left side radiator.. Still great shot though.. Everybody that day (me excluded) really knew where the limits of there bikes were.

There's still a lot more lean in the bike, at least without the hard bags. With the suspension set up decently and peg feelers removed, you can lean the bike far enough to shove the footpegs way up, folding your toes up with them. If you hit some decent bumps while cranked over that far, you will grind a bit on the header on the right side and the centerstand on the left, and occasionally a little bit of plastic on either side. I have a feeling the hard bags would bottom out way before that in Seb's situation, though.

There's still a lot more lean in the bike, at least without the hard bags. With the suspension set up decently and peg feelers removed, you can lean the bike far enough to shove the footpegs way up, folding your toes up with them. If you hit some decent bumps while cranked over that far, you will grind a bit on the header on the right side and the centerstand on the left, and occasionally a little bit of plastic on either side. I have a feeling the hard bags would bottom out way before that in Seb's situation, though.

:excl:

I have my sag set properly, and am a little higher than stock with an Ohlins in the rear and springs up front both stiffer than stock. I've only touched off the header once, I had my wife on the back and we were dragging my toes, my peg, her toes & almost her peg, and then touched off the header before completing the turn. She was hanging off a bit with me at the time, but not much. Didn't have the bags on at the time, so I don't know if they would have been an issue.

VFRs are very capable bikes, I don't ride like that all the time, but it sure is nice when I have the opportunity to take advantage of it! :unsure:

• Member Contributer
Wonder how many computers have this pic as a background...........

I know of one...

smile.gif

It's on my work computer....to help refute people who call the VFR a "crotch rocket".

"It's a touring bike! Can't you see the luggage?" :unsure:

• Member Contributer

I realize this may be stealing timmy's thunder.........but now all you have to do is PAINT THE BIKE FLAT BLACK!

Archived