!help! Dumped Cortech Riding Jacket In Oil!

E-Ticket

Of all the fracking bonehead things that I have done ....

I came back from a hot sportbike ride and my Cortech GX Air vented jacket was a bit sweaty. Hung it up, inside out on the overhead guide track of the garage door to air and dry out.

A bay over started changing the oil on my VFR. When almost done, I grabbed the oil pan and scooted it around and behind me to get it out of the way.

And yup, you guessed it. A breeze came up, the jacket swung, and FELL RIGHT IN THE GO********** OIL PAN!!! sad.gif

aiiyeeeeEEE!!!!!! Grabbed it out as soon as I could, blotted what oil I could and threw it in the washer for 3 runs with Tide and 3 with Oxyclean. Am now airing and sunning it out.

But I can still see the stains and smell the old oil.

Any other ideas on how I can salvage this mess? (I care less about the stain and more about the smell.)

Oh yeah, and I leave Thursday for a big trip.

Curse you, MURPHY!!!! :rolleyes:

TIA, E-Ticket

Is it mesh or leather? Forgive me, I don't know anything about those jackets. But if you wanna get it cleaned, I would use a degreaser like Simple Green or something similar. Whether it's leather or not. The heavier duty the cleaning product the better. I work in the cleaning world so I have all kinds of good chemicals, but to get out oil, you need a degreaser. It will take some work, but it will come out. If it's a leather jacket, after its clean, use a good quality conditioner on it. I use the Blue Magic products that you can get pretty much anywhere. If you want soft hands, rub in with your fingers and let it sit for about fifteen minutes before you rub off any excess. If its a mesh jacket, just rinse it with lots and lots of water. That should do it for you. Good luck.

submerge the whole thing in oil so it is stained uniformly, then wash it a coupla times with Dawn dishwashing detergent. it might end up waterproof.

PS what type of oild did it drop in :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
submerge the whole thing in oil so it is stained uniformly, then wash it a coupla times with Dawn dishwashing detergent. it might end up waterproof.

-S what type of oild did it drop in :rolleyes:

Heh like the inuits and whale oil =P

Fast orange or GOjo but make sure it is not "petro" based open and smell it you will know.. also lots n lots of Dawn may help..

I use citrus hand cleaner like fast orange to get oil n grease out of clothes after working on a car..

Just toss a Glob/Hand full in the wash with the greasy clothes.. If it was leather I would try it by hand and use a conditioner on it afterwards..

Note.. This is worthless on Tranny fluids..

• Member Contributer
Fast orange or GOjo but make sure it is not "petro" based open and smell it you will know.. also lots n lots of Dawn may help..

I use citrus hand cleaner like fast orange to get oil n grease out of clothes after working on a car..

Just toss a Glob/Hand full in the wash with the greasy clothes.. If it was leather I would try it by hand and use a conditioner on it afterwards..

Note.. This is worthless on Tranny fluids..

Rub some of the citrus cleaner directly on it first................. :beer:

Transmission fluids instantly penetrate the fibres because of the dye in them.......... :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
Is it mesh or leather? Forgive me, I don't know anything about those jackets. But if you wanna get it cleaned, I would use a degreaser like Simple Green or something similar. Whether it's leather or not. The heavier duty the cleaning product the better. I work in the cleaning world so I have all kinds of good chemicals, but to get out oil, you need a degreaser. It will take some work, but it will come out. If it's a leather jacket, after its clean, use a good quality conditioner on it. I use the Blue Magic products that you can get pretty much anywhere. If you want soft hands, rub in with your fingers and let it sit for about fifteen minutes before you rub off any excess. If its a mesh jacket, just rinse it with lots and lots of water. That should do it for you. Good luck.

Simple green works great for getting grease out of most things :rolleyes: Buy the concentrate and don't dilute it much if at all.

• Member Contributer

:rolleyes: Simple green or purple lightning (WalMart version of Castrol Super Clean). I'd take it to the laundromat, too. That oily stuff coating the wash drum would be a mess.

Don't feel so bad. I once took a recycling oil drain pan in the back of my Suzuki Samurai. It was hot that day- stopped at the local bank before dumping at the collection site: black container + heat from the sun + lousy fitting plug = 2 gallons of used oil oozed on the floor carpeting. The carpet soaked it up like a Bounty towel.

Needless to say, I was fed up with trying to scrub out the mini-Valdez spill with S.G. and a 5 gallon bucket. I tore the carpeting out and took to an upholstery shop and had new carpeting put in. Yep- oil spills suck. Murphy sees to that.

BTW: 14 months after that oil spill, I rolled the Sammy. It was fun while it lasted.

• Member Contributer

Sorry about that jacket. I know you love this jacket but man it needs to go in the dump. I don't think you'll ever get the smell out. By the time you buy all the suggested cleaning supplies, water bill and electrical cost from drying it...you have your new jacket. jd

• Member Contributer

Oil Eater - Cleaner Degreaser. It works miracles. Safe for clothes. I will actually get oil stains out of your driveway AND you can toss some in with your laundry. I got a gallon at Costco, but even Amazon.com carries it.

Good luck!

It's a full-vented, full-textile (Cordura) jacket with leather elbows, shoulder, back, etc. And it got dumped in 5K mile old Mobil 1 Racing 4T motorcycle oil. Wah.

3 cycles on Tide. Nada.

3 cycles on Oxy-Clean. A *little* more.

Trying the Simple Green now.

And will try the others as well.

But so far, it still has the old, burnt, motor oil smell. And that's a deal killer.

So, will try some of the de-greaser tips and then if not "roses" -- it's headed for the trash.

I was lucky enough to pick up a Fieldsheer textile, full-vented jacket on sale today for $89.00!

It has winky armor pads - but can transfer over the more robust armor pads from the Cortech.

So at least I will be able to do this weekend's trip in comfort, so that eased the sting a bit! And then I'll watch for sales over winter on a replacement GX Air Series 2 jacket in the color I want.

Thanks for all the great tips! Will report more if any work or they all fail....

Cheers! E-Ticket

:unsure: Simple green or purple lightning (WalMart version of Castrol Super Clean). I'd take it to the laundromat, too. That oily stuff coating the wash drum would be a mess.

Don't feel so bad. I once took a recycling oil drain pan in the back of one of my Suzuki Samurai. It was hot that day- stopped at the local bank before dumping at the collection site: black container + heat from the sun + lousy fitting plug = 2 gallons of used oil oozed on the floor carpeting. The carpet soaked it up like a Bounty towel.

Needless to say, I was fed up with trying to scrub out the mini-Valdez spill with S.G. and a 5 gallon bucket. I tore the carpeting out and took to an upholstery shop and had new carpeting put in. Yep- oil spills suck. Murphy sees to that.

BTW: 14 months after that oil spill, I rolled the Sammy. It was fun while it lasted.

I *feel* your pain -- and thanks for making me feel better! <LOL> E-Ticket

• Member Contributer

Use coke... yes coca-cola especially on jeans and such. It does wonders on grease. Just apply it and let is sit for a little bit then wash as normal.

If that doesn't work try wd-40 penetrating oil, doesn't sound right but look it up on the net, you can use it to clean anything, plus it smells better anyway.

http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/wd-40_2042538679.pdf

Hope this helps!!

Here's another tip that I got off from KTM dirt bike buddies on KTMTalk:

"2 items that take oil and asphalt out of my clothes instantly without any damage whatsoever. CUT-THRU citrus solvent and aerosol degreaser produced by Certified Laboratories

P.O. Box 2493, Ft. Worth, Texas

The other product is called BIG ORANGE and I do not have a can of it right now to get the information off of.

This stuff works. I operate an asphalt oil distributor and asphalt box so I get very oily on a daily basis.

There are people on this site that will argue about anything but do not listen to the nay sayers on this subject.

The other products mentioned are good in their own right but take my advice and use the right stuff."

So off to find more "stuff", eh!

Cheers, E-Ticket

• Member Contributer

submerge the whole thing in oil so it is stained uniformly, then wash it a coupla times with Dawn dishwashing detergent. it might end up waterproof

what size are you. Let me know before you toss it. (yes I am that cheap)

Sometimes I swear that we must be long lost brothers! LOL

• Member Contributer

if your just worried about the smell at this point

washing it with a cup of vinegar a couple times should help

here are a couple links for some other ideas

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf316437.tip.html

http://www.homeabc.net/Cleaning-Laundry/11...ng-Laundry.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5...m_clothing.html

• Member Contributer
One other tip that I have learned on my "voyage of discovery":

Remember to remove your wallet from the inner zipper pocket before washingwashingwashingwashingwa.... +1.gif

Come on man...say it isn't so. Bless your heart!

One other tip that I have learned on my "voyage of discovery":

Remember to remove your wallet from the inner zipper pocket before washingwashingwashingwashingwa.... +1.gif

Come on man...say it isn't so. Bless your heart!

Why yes ... I am guilty of money laundering.

Archived