!help! Dumped Cortech Riding Jacket In Oil!

E-Ticket

Did you check the other pocket for your cell phone by chance?

No, thank goodness! At least *something* went right in all this mess.

I was *going* to put in that same pocket with my wallet and then thought, "..nah, it'll stick out too much, I'll just put in my fanny pack."

Got lucky on that one!

4:50pm_PST Update:

Jacket has been washed 4,734 times. I'm suprised that the leather is still on it....

2nd to last wash was with Finish Line's "Citrus Bio-Solvent / Citrus Degreaser"

Jacket came out with virtually no oil smell .... but holy crap.... CITRUS!

Just like you had driven a monster truck BLIND-FOLDED through a lemon orchard at high speed. oof!

So one last final wash with regular no-dye, no-fragrance Ultra (Costco) laundry detergent liquid.

Aired it out, inside and out, for a couple of hours up on our rooftop deck and now headed out for an "air-dry" run. <grin>

Here's hoping I don't get citrus poisoning before I get back!

Cheers! E-Ticket

If that doesn't work try wd-40 penetrating oil, doesn't sound right but look it up on the net, you can use it to clean anything, plus it smells better anyway.

http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/wd-40_2042538679.pdf

my favorite uses:

Spray on trees to prevent beavers from chewing on them

Lubricates wheels on rolling Ping-Pong tables

and timmythecop - Removes wax from flat black car paint to remove “cloudy” appearance

Fast orange or GOjo but make sure it is not "petro" based open and smell it you will know.. also lots n lots of Dawn may help..

I use citrus hand cleaner like fast orange to get oil n grease out of clothes after working on a car..

Just toss a Glob/Hand full in the wash with the greasy clothes.. If it was leather I would try it by hand and use a conditioner on it afterwards..

Note.. This is worthless on Tranny fluids..

I would use GOJO....it has removed some nasty stains for me to include used oil and shoe polish! Try it and follow instructions......should, I stress should, work!

The wife and I just got back from the "air-dry" run. <grin>

There's no real oil odor - but there is a strong residual citrus cleaner odor. But hey, that's all I've been smelling the last 24 hours - so who heck knows how sensitized I am now.

The ride went okay - can't smell anything - an no itching going on. <grin>

Stopping at a light is fine - if the breeze is just right - I get a strong whiff of the citrus.

I think I am going to go for it tomorrow. Eight hours in 70-80 degrees at 70-90 mph ought to air it out just fine, eh! :roost:

Here's hoping I don't get citrus poisoning before I get back! I'll post a follow-up ride report when I get home with pics from the Big Nasty Hill Climb over in Idaho.

MANYMANY Thanks to all for the great advice and how quickly everyone responded.

VFRD ... ROCKS!

Cheers! E-Ticket

Archived