Chasing The Wind In The Ozarks-ride Report

IMG_0798.jpg

What a great weekend! U20overboy and I took off Friday for a weekend of ripping up the Ozarks. Neither of us had been there, so we relied on the internet and VFRD (dutchinterceptor) for info on where to go. Once there we realized that it really didn’t matter as there are TONS of great roads!! U20overboy left home Friday morning and explored some new roads in West TN. After 250 miles, he called it a day and left me a message of where we would meet in Dyersburg, TN. I left Nashville after ref’ing my daughters volleyball game around 5:30. I just slabbed it for 150 miles and arrived around 8 pm just at dark. We had several Harley’s to keep our bikes company as we hit the bed fairly early knowing Saturday would be a long day.

Saturday, we find out that neither U20 nor I were kidding when we said we were morning people. Both of us awoke right around 3:30am. We tried to sleep a little, but by 4am, we packed up, grabbed a good breakfast at the hotel and were headed out by 6am. It was about 150 miles of some of the straightest roads I have ever seen between Dyersburg and the Arkansas maze. We crossed through Missouri’s ‘boot’ in record time, cleared the flatter parts of Arkansas in a single bound and arrived at the foothills ready to try something a little more twisted….

And we were not disappointed. We didn’t really have a plan of where we were going, so we sort of went which everway ‘felt’ good. This lead us up Hwy 5 towards Mnt. Home and then back down 341, which is commonly called PUSH MOUNTAIN.

U20overboy at the end of 341

IMG_0807.jpg

Wow! That was one of the neatest roads. It was perfectly sunny and almost no traffic at all. U20 lead the way as I was taping. Here is a taste of this fabulous route.:

me chasing u20overboy

th_341.jpg

After this ride, we ran into a small road block. Seems as if a grandfather on his K1200S was teaching his grandson to ride (KLR) and the boy blew his front tire and crashed. After they let us through, we decided to stop for lunch and they came in about the same time. Talking with the grandfather, the boy seemed ok, but a little shook up. Once again, gear worked as his helmet was pretty messed up. AR is a ‘no helmet’ state, so he CHOSE to wear it….kudos to him.

After lunch, we kept south and tried out Hwy 87. Again, another big hit. It left us with a smile from ear to ear. At this point, we decided to continue west across the state on a couple of different roads and end up over near Clarksville. We hit 9, 16, and 123 in route. All were once again fabulous. I think this was 123, but since they all were awesome roads, it honestly could have been any of them:

looking through u20overboy's windscreen

th_123.jpg

450 miles logged on the first full day and we had all we could take. We found a little hole in the wall place to sleep in and after eating and drinking the finest El Cheapo Mexicano had to offer, we hit the sack.

3:30am…Sunday morning…”John, you awake”……”Yep”….I can’t believe we both woke up at 3:30 again! Unfortunately, we were both feeling it this time. We aren’t old….but lets just say we knew we weren’t all that young right then either! Once again, we packed up and headed out. We grabbed coffee and a biscuit while gassing up and headed north up Hwy 21 towards Eureka Springs. Eureka springs was a really neat town. It had a small main street with your typical shops. I am unsure how old it is, but historic downtown was unique in architecture and design:

IMG_0804.jpg

From here, we took a short run up into Big MO and then swung back down south to Arkansas. We jumped on Hwy 7 and finally found an overlook where we could take pictures:

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

Here we met a nice couple riding his and her TRIKES. I would guess they were in there 70’s. They told us about a road we had missed and encouraged us to try it. It was in the opposite direction we were headed so we…….changed the plan, turned around and headed off in the other direction! The spontaneity of this entire trip really made it a joy. And in line with this I have to say that U20overboy is the perfect person with whom to do a trip like this as his riding skill is great, he is very predictable on the road, but doesn’t care if the route is completely unplanned all day. He really loves the adventure of the road!

Well the road they sent us to was SO twisty you could actually take it in 1st gear at several locations. The closest thing to it is Lombard St. in San Fran. So after passing a Harley sitting in the ditch (a life flight had already air lifted him out) and passing a rider on a Super Duke who was shooting a ride scene on the super twisty section, we continue heading north hoping to reach Mountain Home for the day. We ONLY clocked in 350 miles, so we even had time to stop for a little scenic picture of the VFRs.:

IMG_0798.jpg

We picked a high dollar hotel (down pillows and a great breakfast) and after cleaning up, went across the street to the local watering hole. We had a good dinner and a few beers as we watch NASCAR and aggravated the bartenderette. We headed back and quickly fell asleep about 5 seconds after our heads hit the pillows.

3:30 am……nope…sound asleep until 6am. YES!!! We awoke feeling really well rested. The good dinner and excellent room had allowed us to recover and Monday was looking like a great day to ride. We ate breakfast and had a late start of 8am. We headed south and jumped on 341 again as it was our favorite road. We continue down 87 and then headed east to home. After lots of slabbing:

IMG_0809.jpg

We arrived home around 5pm. It really was a little disappointing to have to bring it to and end, but after 1300 miles, even this had to come to a close.

• Member Contributer
Well the road they sent us to was SO twisty you could actually take it in 1st gear at several locations.

What's the road? I am here in Arkansas. I gotta know!

On another note. How can we better organize rides via VFRD? I wish we could introduce some functionality on the site so that members could plan rides, and notifications would get pushed out to members in the potential area.

• Member Contributer
Well the road they sent us to was SO twisty you could actually take it in 1st gear at several locations.

On another note. How can we better organize rides via VFRD? I wish we could introduce some functionality on the site so that members could plan rides, and notifications would get pushed out to members in the potential area.

Usually if you have an active group of VFRD members in a particular area, and someone or several people that like to lead rides, it's usually not much trouble to organize a ride with a good turnout............ :mellow: "Start Something" in your area and see how it goes................ :mellow:

Great pics, vids, and write-up turtlecreek....looks like both of you had a great time......... :fing02: Your original getting up times (3:00 AM to 4:00 AM) sounded fine to me............. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Those roads definitely won't disappoint. :fing02: Glad to here you had a good time except for getting up at 3am??? That's just sadistic. :goofy:

In Mountain Home did you eat at the steak house called Colton's? Reminds me when HS and I stopped there coming home from Tmac and we had the goofiest waitress. Couldn't tell if she was stoned or what but she was certainly entertaining and the food was pretty decent too.

The tight road you mentioned was probably the north half of AR123. If you headed south from the lookout on AR7 and turned left then I'm sure that was it with its five first gear switchbacks.

• Member Contributer
Those roads definitely won't disappoint. :fing02: Glad to here you had a good time except for getting up at 3am??? That's just sadistic. :goofy:

Yeah, I prefer 2:00 AM myself.........although I do "sleep in" until 3 or 4 AM on vacation trips............ :goofy:

T-Mac at the 4:00 AMish hour after my second cup of coffee.....

T-Mac08-25.jpg

i looked on mapquest and cant see it. it is a piece of 123 that is around Mnt Judea. We got to it from Hwy 7 (I think around Jasper). not sure why i cant see it on the photo. it showed up on my physical map as an incomplete road, but it was finished being worked on.

good luck finding it! :fing02:

Thanks for the well written ride report and pics/vids.

Really nice picture, this one :goofy:

IMG_0798.jpg

thanks V4. i was amazed by how well it turned out. i sort of thought the VFR reflections added a nice touch (accidental of course :fing02: )

• Forum CEO

I told a few folks about the Ozarks and they look at me like I am Crazy, Arkansas? Yea man Arkansas! And Missouri too some of the best roads in the USA. The Ozarks are a day and a half ride for me to get too a very long ass day and a half, when its too cold to ride the Colorado High country its just about right in the Ozarks

• Member Contributer

i looked on mapquest and cant see it. it is a piece of 123 that is around Mnt Judea. We got to it from Hwy 7 (I think around Jasper). not sure why i cant see it on the photo. it showed up on my physical map as an incomplete road, but it was finished being worked on.

good luck finding it! :fing02:

THE best road in Arkansas imo! :goofy:

A few years ago a section of that road washed out and then was unpaved so most maps still show it to be partially unpaved even though the road surface is the best anywhere.

Click Here!

• Member Contributer

Heh, heh, heh...been on 123 a zillion times.

Oh, I'm starting a ride near my house this weekend. Anyone that wants to go better be ready to RAIL. I guess that means I'll be doing it alone..... :fing02:

Oh, I'm starting a ride near my house this weekend. Anyone that wants to go better be ready to RAIL. I guess that means I'll be doing it alone..... :goofy:

i cant this weekend, but we definitely need to get together soon for a train ride :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Oh, I'm starting a ride near my house this weekend. Anyone that wants to go better be ready to RAIL. I guess that means I'll be doing it alone..... :goofy:

i cant this weekend, but we definitely need to get together soon for a train ride :fing02:

Ya....definitely!! :goofy:

we definitely need to get together soon for a train ride :fing02:

So TC, do you actually enjoy your VFR again after sorting out the suspension? :biggrin:

yep!! with your help, i have my baby back :fing02:

1300 miles and not one 'oh sh**' moment. not a slip, not a wiggle....nothin'. just solid handling on all accounts.

yep, thats the one....lurton! nice video hs. i was having problems with the gopro (actually operator error) so i didnt get any of this section.

I assume this is the video from the ride that I was on with HS and Dutch? That was indeed an awesome road...a very nice "welcome to twisties" to me from HS and Dutch!

:fing02: Excellent write up Dale I'll be watching those videos this winter on lousy riding days. Really enjoyed the trip about the right distance from home and the

roads and people were as nice as you could ask for. Seemed like everybody there wanted us to find the best roads they had (especially the locals)

I've never had a rescue squad member at a road block (motorcycle wreck) point out a really twisty road I should try, that still blows me away. GREAT PEOPLE

we'll have to go back!

• Member Contributer

If I EVER get time, you two have me wanting to hop on over there! I know the area fairly well and need some new riding area(s) to ride. sad.gif

If I EVER get time, you two have me wanting to hop on over there! I know the area fairly well and need some new riding area(s) to ride. sad.gif

sounds like a REDO baby! :fing02: i bet we could arrange something before EOY or if not, next spring to get 4 or 5 folks headed that way from this area.

Archived