New Website For Motorcycle Roads

Guest awlittle

Please make this site accessible to members only and then invite whoever you want. Once good roads are publicized the masses will gather, eventually the road will get a lot of LEO presence and ultimately it is not a good road anymore. Besides that your roads will be crowded with squidly types.

Please make this site accessible to members only and then invite whoever you want. Once good roads are publicized the masses will gather, eventually the road will get a lot of LEO presence and ultimately it is not a good road anymore. Besides that your roads will be crowded with squidly types.

He's a lawyer dude, what do you think his ultimate goal is here??? :warranty:

Just kidding awlittle!! :biggrin:

We're too far into the "internet & information age" for a single web site which posts good roads to make any noticeable difference in bike traffic or LEO enforcement in my opinion.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The amount of traffic nowadays lend the to the theory that if one person finds it, and links it to a forum, the vicious cycle starts...

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The amount of traffic nowadays lend the to the theory that if one person finds it, and links it to a forum, the vicious cycle starts...

I haven't seen any negative effects of pashnit.com - although he charges now, the info was free for many years... it's an awesome resource for those of us in Califorina... and he has his own forum smile.gif.

Not saying you're wrong, but I've seen it happen. Locally and in other places. I guess until someone starts a list for upstate NY, I'm not going to worry about it too much... :warranty:

We don't do traffic tickets (usually we tell people it doesn't make financial sense in AZ) and we only practice in Arizona, so this site is really only to help fellow motorcyclist out. Besides the really good roads are usually so far from civilization that it is a non-issue for the most part. I've only done southwestern NY so at least Sebspeed is safe (for now)! If HS or the Mods want to adjust the thread to member only status that is fine with me.

We're too far into the "internet & information age" for a single web site which posts good roads to make any noticeable difference in bike traffic or LEO enforcement in my opinion.

Let me tell you about a little website called Killboy.com, many locals say that the problems at Deal's Gap are because of the road being publicised through this website. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it wouldn't surprise me, the road started getting really popular at about the same time the website did.

Let me tell you about a little website called Killboy.com, many locals say that the problems at Deal's Gap are because of the road being publicised through this website. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it wouldn't surprise me, the road started getting really popular at about the same time the website did.

I grew up about an hour and 1/2 from the Dragon Tail (Deal's Gap) and I don't think Killboy.com had much to do with its increasing popularity. I recall several car magazines discussing the route years ago. Fact is if a great road exist and a median to tell people about it (aka the internet) also exist then word will spread. I can also tell you that many, many roads exist in that area that have no notoriety which probably benefits locals by taking law enforcement away from those roads and concentrating it for specific enforcement on certain roads. I don't think my little website is going to cause a shift in law enforcement around the country.

after a quick read I have to agree Here.. I see more n more Bike traffic on the little back road I live on in W. NC. To the point It's very annoying now.. Several years ago it was maybe 1 or 2 possible locals a day.. Now its several every hour.. Some are so bad its scary to watch them ride from behind.. All due to word of mouth and " The Internet"..n 1 of the bike resorts on NC28 lists my road in there GPS routes.... NO heavy cop traffic "YET"

Un aware of the effects at first I have since deleted every thread listing My road from this site.....

Gap trash experienced first hand the attitudes of some of these riders looking for local roads while riding with me a few weeks ago... Fare warning....

Keep the list private please... Or post the road you live on so we can remove our exhaust mufflers n ride back n forth all day and nite long in front of your house... Thanks...

Wrong......

A simple name search on the net will bring up lots of hits.. If your patient enough to look thru them you may find the road your looking for listed on a Bike site with reviews............

Keep thinking that way... You too will see 1 day with your favorite roads to ride...

A Google search of motorcycle roads brings up 354,000 hits. I don't think my site will suddenly increase the number of riders in North America or cause roaming gangs of squids to show up in Alberta or Wyoming. A few things to consider:

Squids don't ride far enough from big cities to ride 90% of these roads

Police departments have X amount of officers and freeways will always generate more revenue than side roads

Increased traffic is not likely caused by the internet but an actual increase in the number of riders

I live in a subdivision in Chandler, AZ so I don't think listing my road will have the desired effect of riders flocking to it.

I'm not going to restrict access to my website because I'd like to think it serves as a tool for serious riders and it just might make someone's trip more enjoyable. If anything I thought people might appreciate the website, not complain about things that my website has no impact on.

• Member Contributer

Police departments have X amount of officers and freeways will always generate more revenue than side roads

Increased traffic is not likely caused by the internet but an actual increase in the number of riders

I gotta go along with this. After what I saw yesterday at Bear Mt.

WORD.

This doesn't mean I'll give up my secret stash of back roads. Let people find them like we did. Ride.IMO

A Google search of motorcycle roads brings up 354,000 hits. I don't think my site will suddenly increase the number of riders in North America or cause roaming gangs of squids to show up in Alberta or Wyoming. A few things to consider:

I live in a subdivision in Chandler, AZ so I don't think listing my road will have the desired effect of riders flocking to it.

I'm not going to restrict access to my website because I'd like to think it serves as a tool for serious riders and it just might make someone's trip more enjoyable. If anything I thought people might appreciate the website, not complain about things that my website has no impact on.

You think 1 simple site wont make a impact.. It all starts somewhere... Here is 1 example of a popular local road here in NC. With only a simple Name search on Google..

http://www.google.com/search?q=wayah+rd&am...amp;startPage=1

1 person googles it the writes a report listing the rd name just once, Then another, and another.. Go ahead n list your favorite back roads, Then tell a few friends who tell a few friends.. If its really a good road it wont be for to much longer afterwards.....

Just please stick to roads in your riding area... Some locals dont take very well to seeing there favorite roads listed and would like to keep them as such...

Its your choice yes... But it isnt your actual "Backyard" Think about it..

You sound just like 1 of those NIMBY types.... Not in my back yard, Lets put it over here...

1 person googles it the writes a report listing the rd name just once, Then another, and another.. Go ahead n list your favorite back roads, Then tell a few friends who tell a few friends.. If its really a good road it wont be for to much longer afterwards.....

Just please stick to roads in your riding area... Some locals dont take very well to seeing there favorite roads listed and would like to keep them as such...

You sound just like 1 of those NIMBY types.... Not in my back yard, Lets put it over here...

I lived in North Georgia for 25 years, have property there, and plan on moving back so I think it is my backyard, including Deal's Gap. I could list dozens of roads in GA, NC, and TN but I haven't. I've stuck with major routes that are already well known or are so remote that only long distance riders would ever get there. I've also listed just about every decent road in my State.

You do realize the purpose of vfrdiscussion is the spread of knowledge and to help fellow motorcyclists by sharing information including good roads. Maybe the population explosion in the Southeast is more to blame than people trying to help other motorcyclist enjoy the hobby? Why not ask HS to shutdown the ride reports forum? You sound just like one of those paranoid types... :fing02:

I lived in North Georgia for 25 years, have property there, and plan on moving back so I think it is my backyard, including Deal's Gap. I could list dozens of roads in GA, NC, and TN but I haven't. I've stuck with major routes that are already well known or are so remote that only long distance riders would ever get there. I've also listed just about every decent road in my State.

You do realize the purpose of vfrdiscussion is the spread of knowledge and to help fellow motorcyclists by sharing information including good roads. Maybe the population explosion in the Southeast is more to blame than people trying to help other motorcyclist enjoy the hobby? Why not ask HS to shutdown the ride reports forum? You sound just like one of those paranoid types... :fing02:

No not paranoid.. I see it every time i ride up here..... Yes I am referring to the Lesser traveled back roads.. Post the common ones all you want As i try to stay away from them all together As do a lot of the locals... Getting real tired of meeting cruiser and sport bike riders going the other direction IN MY LANE. (You being a lawyer Might work out in 1 of these situations:))

I dont mind helping them enjoy the Hobby either. I will gladly lead any rider around the "Back roads around Here" But I also ask that they not post the road names I take them on.....

Espescially due to THIS LEO wanting a clear, unpatrolled road. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

If you guys are looking for someone to blame, why not blame Mapquest, or Google? Or anybody who produces a map? Just look for the squiggly line and go there... Maybe all the increased traffic on these roads might have something to do with increased bike sales, and increased popularity of the sport? and not one guy posting up a few of his favorite roads on a website? There will always be cruisers going way too slow, and there will always be riders in over their head crossing the double yellow, there are no "secret" or "private" roads anymore. If you don't like having to share the road with anyone else, than find a new sport.

awlittle, I personally don't see anything wrong with sharing information that is essentially public and readily available anyway.

I could post NE Florida road info on websites all day long, but nobody would give a R.A. because they're all BOULEVARDS with stoplights for each development and strip mall! And, they're already slammed with traffic. Well, there is that one little 5-mile stretch of twisties just north of Umatilla...Shhhh. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
I could post NE Florida road info on websites all day long, but nobody would give a R.A. because they're all BOULEVARDS with stoplights for each development and strip mall! And, they're already slammed with traffic. Well, there is that one little 5-mile stretch of twisties just north of Umatilla...Shhhh. :rolleyes:

yes flordia the home of straight roads every other non striaght road is like you said chocked full of lights =P time to pull out the cage and cruise slow in fla =)

• Member Contributer
Espescially due to THIS LEO wanting a clear, unpatrolled road. :rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh: :fing02: But don't you carry a get out of jail free card??

Post all the roads, big or small. This secretive crap is bunk....no roads are secret...if the road is nice, people will find it via google, mapquest, or simply word of mouth.

Archived