My 1983 Vf750f Restoration Project, Lotsa Big Pics!

SEBSPEED

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Berty

Hello Seb.

I've just signed up to the forum in order join the ranks of those who have already thanked you for sharing such an great restoration project. My first big bike was a VF400F but I've been dreaming of getting hold of a VF750F to restore for years. I often scan the internet for pictures and information relating to this machine and have to say that it has been a real pleasure to come across your thread which I've now read several times!

Whilst I'm still a few years off being able to afford a house with a garage, what I've found so inspirational about your project is the fact that it is the product of so many years of patience, planning, and something which you've done so thoroughly without being a wealthy guy.

Although I'm not yet able to even buy a bike to restore, your approach to the whole project has made me realize that I can begin my own restoration right now through planning, research, and by beginning to hunt down the bits and pieces I know I'll need for any modifications.

On a final note, after reading through yours and other threads relating to the VF's, its great to know that there is a good bunch of people with excellent knowledge of these bikes who are happy to share that knowledge.

Once again, a really inspirational project and can't wait to see the latest progress report.

Will

Edited by Berty

The bike is sweet as... there are no words for your attention to detail... dedication is an understatement... I am in awe of your skill and knowledge and ability to take on new territory... keep it up dude, you're an inspiration... this bike will be even better than a new one back in the day... Honda should hire you!!

Guest Bowler

Awesome and inspiring build!

Thinking of doing something like this to my spare vf.

Can you tell me what the exhaust cost you? I'm interested is a V&H system, but here in the Netherlands it's very hard to acquire one :(

And is it possible that the guy who made it for you makes another one?

Thanks in advance and keep building :lobby:

Edited by Bowler

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I have been busy with all sorts of bike work, none of which was related to this one. However, I may be on an upswing in personal interest here, as today I found myself cleaning the lift this poor beast has been strapped into for 2 years. I went so far as to finish riveting the master link on the chain, then wheeled it off & outside for a picture. It sure is dusty.

gallery_5444_1301_496216.jpg

• Member Contributer

Very cool project. I just started reading this thread tonight. Got through 4 or 5 pages and finally had to skip to the "end". Really gets me reminiscing about my old '83. After close to 90 k great miles, I finally gave it to a friend who is "going to restore it someday". By the way, I'm curious. I was the third owner. PPO did all the mods. I always assumed the RWB was factory but I only see other '83s with RWR or BWB. Was RWB an option in 1983? I notice that the '84s seem to all be RWB. Also I was told this was a Basani exhaust. Anyone else know for sure? Great memories. Great resurection Seb. It'll be worth it.

post-19514-044893000 1281926486_thumb.jp

Edited by skymon

Very cool project. I just started reading this thread tonight. Got through 4 or 5 pages and finally had to skip to the "end". Really gets me reminiscing about my old '83. After close to 90 k great miles, I finally gave it to a friend who is "going to restore it someday". By the way, I'm curious. I was the third owner. PPO did all the mods. I always assumed the RWB was factory but I only see other '83s with RWR or BWB. Was RWB an option in 1983? I notice that the '84s seem to all be RWB. Also I was told this was a Basani exhaust. Anyone else know for sure? Great memories. Great resurection Seb. It'll be worth it.

RWB was available in the US in that scheme in 1984... 83 was red/white or blue/white. Are those crash bars on the side, or is that a U-lock?

Not sure if that's a Bassani or not. I do see rearsets and a taller windscreen in there... not to mention that crazy screen on the FZ!!

Git er dun Seb! :laughing6-hehe:

When I brought it back inside, I put the back wheel in the vise on the lift. That'll let me work on the front wheel spacers, which was where I left off.

- install front pads in calipers

- mount calipers

- decide on a front brake master

- assemble brake lines/clutch line

- bleed front brakes

- bleed clutch

- decide on rearsets

- install/bleed a rear brake

- modify torque arm for brake

- finish fork preload adjusters

- set sag / adjust chassis

- install rear signals

- install plate light

- plug in all electrics

- install exhaust ( after finishing fabrication...)

- fill oil

- fill coolant

- attempt 1st start

If the bike starts and everything works, then there's another list of a million little things to do.

- finish fitting 1kF side panels

- finalize mirror style and fitment

The cherry on the cake will be the repaint.

• Member Contributer

The cherry on the cake will be the repaint.

Then maybe a display stand in the living room! It's looking great, looking forward to that first ride report and pics. :fing02:

• 1 month later...

Seb; this thread really needs to be pinned like Sparrow's. This should be mandatory viewing for every early VF rider.

Can't wait to see more progress on this one!

Thank you.

On this date, 8 years ago, I started disassembling the bike to start the restoration. Hard to believe it's been this long already.

• Member Contributer

On this date, 8 years ago

8 years!!! WOW. I can understand though, after seeing your garage! You have your hands in _*MANY*_ projects!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sebspeed

inspiration inspiration

Any updates?

Slapped together a brake torque rod for the rear caliper(F4i unit).

Finally going to order the fittings I need to make all my brake and clutch lines.

We'll see how things progress over the winter. Lots of bike stuff going on lately!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Hard to believe so much time has gone by. The last up-to-date pic I posted was in August of 2010... and zero progress has been made.

Today I moved the bike for the first time in a very long time. Cleaning and rearranging my shop to make room for a lathe, time to get all the bikes out and do a thorough cleaning!

The poor VF has built up quite the layer of dust. I'm sure it enjoyed the hours of sunshine it got today. Pretty sure I'm going to pull half of it apart again to clean it before I dig in and finish. Can't bring myself to move on, without bringing it back up to the level it was on 1.5 years ago.

Anyway, here are a few pics.

Took a little while to clear the clutter from around/under the lift. Also lubed and cleaned the lift before moving it.

da2213e9.jpg

Out in the fresh air & sunshine!

aa0744ce.jpg

66e9ea72.jpg

0d265bba.jpg

My new shop layout will have the bikes and the dirty equipment separated a bit more, maybe that'll cut down on the dusty mess. I'm looking at dust collection for my tools too.

After a little test sit, I remembered why I started this project. So instead of rolling it back up on its pedestal, I tucked it in the corner with its stablemates. Maybe that'll entice me to show her a little love again soon...

74b1e6a7.jpg