My 1983 Vf750f Restoration Project, Lotsa Big Pics!

SEBSPEED

• Member Contributer
Aw, come on, you can do it!! I do believe that Chev removed the material from his caliper bracket to make his JD kit work. I should have taken pics while I was looking at it - hindsight being 20/20 and all... :biggrin:

The right caliper ended up mounting up nicely without any mod needed, everything is lined up.

Aw, come on, you can do it!! I do believe that Chev removed the material from his caliper bracket to make his JD kit work. I should have taken pics while I was looking at it - hindsight being 20/20 and all... :blush:

The right caliper ended up mounting up nicely without any mod needed, everything is lined up.

How about the left?

Woops, nevermind! Now it's all in one post though:

I have the wheel on and the left caliper, they're all lined up ok, same as with the original forks. I'm using the same slimmed down right spacer, took about half the width off Jamie's original dimensions (~5mm down to about 3mm I think?). I think I'll have the same issue with the right caliper alignment, need to take some material (~2mm) off the mount on the fork or the caliper bracket to get it lined up. I'd be further along but all the brake parts were pretty cruddy and needed cleaning. That bit of anal retentiveness is your fault for posting such nice pics of your super clean build. wink.gif :fing02:

Good stuff! :fing02:

Been slow lately as I have bigger fish to fry lately, but here's a few pics anyway.

Insulator plate for the front carbs(blocks heat from rad) was media blasted & painted, and the old rubber pieces were deteriorated so I got a piece of door edging from my buddy at the body shop and trimmed some pieces to fit:

PICT0108.jpg

Here it is installed, it also serves as a holder for the left front spark plug wire:

PICT0111.jpg

Repainted the rad covers, and also replaced the rusty screen sheild bolts with stainless screws:

PICT0109.jpg

Cleaned & re-oiled the K&N, although it didn't really need it:

PICT0112.jpg

I :biggrin: this view:

PICT0113.jpg

Blasted & painted the passenger handles:

PICT0157.jpg

Also got my hands on a good set of calipers that also have clean pistons(mine were rusty). I took them apart, need to order all the seals. The calipers will be blasted and repainted, not sure what color yet.

PICT0158.jpg

Last but not least, I drew up a shock reservoir bracket and cut it from .090" titanium. Worked out pretty good, just needs some paint!

PICT0166.jpg

PICT0167.jpg

PICT0168.jpg

PICT0169.jpg

Well, I got the calipers cleaned, which reminded me that I need to do the same with the rear. New seals for them and for the clutch slave are ordered, just need to pick a paint color for the calipers. Black? Gold?

List of things left to do:

-rebuild & install front & rear brakes

-integrate the F4i rear caliper (need to modify or make new torque arm)

-make up brake & clutch lines using the Earl's hose I have + anodized fittings

-order new brake pads

-bleed brakes & clutch

-install ignition switch

-get an AGM battery

-line up front wheel

-preload spacers in forks are too long, need to cut down to achieve proper sag

-figure out one or more mirror(s) / mirror mounts

-drill holes for hand control mount tabs

-install new grips

-order & install bar ends

-rivet new tabs for VF1kR side panels to gas tank

-sand & prep all the bodywork

-paint all the bodywork

-add oil/filter & coolant to engine system

-receive my prebent stainless exhaust back from the guy who's replicating the V&H system, and weld it up

-install exhaust

-polish stock rearsets

-find new/better footpegs for stock rearsets?

-install rearsets (stock set and a custom set)

I'm SURE I'm forgetting something...

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe next year...

Over the weekend I stumbled upon a nice, semi-easy way to add preload adjustment to the 1000R forks using a custom adapter and the good 'ole Honda parts bin... similar to Jamie Daugherty's method, but nicer. Details coming...

• Member Contributer
Great job Seb, missing you at the Summit Meet Bro!

:offtopic: ME TOO

I can't wait to see what you do for foot pegs, I have wore out another set and want to go after market.

Stephen

Edited by Old School

Details coming...

Oh how I hate cliffhangers :laugh:

:laugh:

Looking good Seb. Progress may be not as quick as you'd like but it will be a real head turner when finished. :offtopic:

This whole thread turned into a cliffhanger didn't it... :blush: I could post a few pics and a drawing, but I'd rather show it all at once and this shouldn't take too long(really!)

Stephen, believe it or not, I'm going to use the stock footpegs(for now), since my wife is really looking forward to riding on a VF again. I also have a "B side" version of the bike in mind that will use adapter plates and modern rearsets, coupled with mid-mount exhausts. :cool:

I know you've gotta have some machining equipment around, why not make an adapter to fit modern pegs? I really like the stock pegs on my CBR600F4i, they have a nice look & feel, and still have the rubber on top that you don't get anymore with a lot of the newer bikes. :angry:

• Member Contributer
Stephen, believe it or not, I'm going to use the stock footpegs(for now), since my wife is really looking forward to riding on a VF again. I also have a "B side" version of the bike in mind that will use adapter plates and modern rearsets, coupled with mid-mount exhausts. :blink:

I know you've gotta have some machining equipment around, why not make an adapter to fit modern pegs? I really like the stock pegs on my CBR600F4i, they have a nice look & feel, and still have the rubber on top that you don't get anymore with a lot of the newer bikes. :rolleyes:

I got BLS's peg lowering locks fitted to my 1KR, I'd bet they'd fit on the 750 too and then you can use the VFR or CBR pegs, if that's what you're looking for.

Ok, here's the deal on the preload adjusters.

I got my hands on a set of pre-1994 CBR600F2 fork caps. These forks were the last of the CBR damping rod forks, the last model year of the F2(1994) and all newer CBRs went to cartridge forks with preload and rebound in the cap.

Pre-94 had these nifty adjusters for preload only:

8-25-09002.jpg

8-25-09001.jpg

Pretty self-explanatory, the adjuster threads into the cap and moves the washer up and down, increasing or decreasing tension on the spring, and it's sealed with an o-ring.

So, my plan is to make two of these inserts, which will fit the CBR adjuster on the inside. I'm going to take my VF1000R caps off my forks, remove the Schrader valve(left side) and TRAC adjuster knob(right side), and drill the caps to accept the custom insert. Then the new parts will be welded in place.

preloadadapter.jpg

preloadadapterwireframe.jpg

I'm excited! :laugh:

In other news, I bead blasted the front calipers/pin retainers & pad clips, and painted the calipers.

8-25-09004.jpg

Who says VF parts don't grow on trees?? :biggrin:

8-25-09005.jpg

8-25-09006.jpg

Also got the clutch slave cylinder rebuilt with new Honda seals, had to clean some old crusty fluid out of the bore first. Need to sell off some miscellaneous parts to build the "new VF parts budget". Next up is 3 sets of brake pads, brake and clutch banjo hose ends, oil, coolant, AGM battery, and a restock of my bodywork supplies. I'm gettin' there, slowly but surely! :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Any time. I didn`t make it to Dillon. Here`s a pic you asked for though:

gallery_10340_4555_553846.jpg

These will be black eventually and will snap right onto VF1000R fork legs except for the TRAC adjuster knob. Need to remove the knob to get them on or drill the hole slightly larger. Then a zip tie like the race bike or make a bracket...probably a zip tie.

Something like this:

gallery_10340_4555_480856.jpg

Edited by VF1000RS

• 2 weeks later...

I have been notified that my Vance & Hines pipes are now in the hands of Meccom Corp in Michigan. The guy in SC that was going to do them didn't get started on them after having them for a month. He and I agreed that it would be better to send them out to MI for the replication. Meccom promised a 2-week max turnaround, so we shall see!

The guy in SC that was going to do them didn't get started on them after having them for a month.

Why doesn't that surprise me.

I had a feeling going in, but I try to hope for the best in people, ya know? I'm just glad they didn't get "lost". :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Trouble is, there isn't enough room left on the bar to mount the clamp, that's why I cut the first one. Sorry, I didn't specify that. I might try to get another whatchamacallit - the clamp piece for the clutch master - maybe I can weld the mirror mount to the top of that, or make a new one entirely... ?

Will these help?

Mirror clamp

Trouble is, there isn't enough room left on the bar to mount the clamp, that's why I cut the first one. Sorry, I didn't specify that. I might try to get another whatchamacallit - the clamp piece for the clutch master - maybe I can weld the mirror mount to the top of that, or make a new one entirely... ?

Will these help?

Mirror clamp

Yes, they would - if they fit onto Honda controls. I've seen them, problem is, they're made to fit brembo & Magura controls which have offset mounting screws. sad.gif

• Member Contributer

Will these help?

Mirror clamp

Yes, they would - if they fit onto Honda controls. I've seen them, problem is, they're made to fit brembo & Magura controls which have offset mounting screws. sad.gif

Ahh. Thought you were running brembo's but must have been thinking of the '86?