My 1983 Vf750f Restoration Project, Lotsa Big Pics!

SEBSPEED

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Will probably be a few more years unless someone waves too much $$ in my face.

Finally have the addition mostly sorted, ready to kick things up a notch but the VF is not high on the priority list. It won't stay "low mileage" once it's finished...

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

"Does the offer still stand"??? I think the question is whether you want a specific person to come over and help in your work-shop, or whether you're just looking for an extra pair of hands.

Yanno, I'm pretty damn good at "couch surfing", living out of a backpack etc. So IF you need somebody to help you fuck up a bike project, I could lend a hand, live out of a cardboard box, hell if it's a climate anywhere south of where I'm at, that's not a problem. However, I would have to bring my BIKE with me....

Well it would have to happen in somebody else's shop space, wouldn't it? I'll be damned if I'M ever gonna find the space for all of those tools. I'd just as likely whip up a small-scale Aluminum foundry as run a friggin' MILL in the corner of a garage....

I mean shit - that's money already earmarked for BIKE PARTS ha-ha. Ain't nothin' LEFT for tools!

Damn though. What YOU need, my friend - is an APPRENTICE!

-S.

Some very good tips on this thread. Like flowing paint into recessed lettering ("bas relief"?) using a toothpick. Good stuff to do with the wiring as well.

Any chance of going back and correcting all of those broken picture links? Editing should let you see their original titles, which might allow you to simply type in the new folder titles from your image host. Just saying, it might not be that huge of a job. I've done the same thing myself, though I don't have nearly as many photos posted.

It's just such a good build thread, you went to all that trouble in the first place, might as well keep it up as an archive resource. Right?

Just a brain-fart!

-S.

• Member Contributer

"Does the offer still stand"??? I think the question is whether you want a specific person to come over and help in your work-shop, or whether you're just looking for an extra pair of hands.

Yanno, I'm pretty damn good at "couch surfing", living out of a backpack etc. So IF you need somebody to help you fuck up a bike project, I could lend a hand, live out of a cardboard box, hell if it's a climate anywhere south of where I'm at, that's not a problem. However, I would have to bring my BIKE with me....

Well it would have to happen in somebody else's shop space, wouldn't it? I'll be damned if I'M ever gonna find the space for all of those tools. I'd just as likely whip up a small-scale Aluminum foundry as run a friggin' MILL in the corner of a garage....

I mean shit - that's money already earmarked for BIKE PARTS ha-ha. Ain't nothin' LEFT for tools!

Damn though. What YOU need, my friend - is an APPRENTICE!

-S.

Damm

Fuck

Shit

great 1st post........... :goofy: Can't wait to see the pictures.......

• 1 year later...
Hey Seb,

I'm getting my 83 VF750F today. I guess you could be of a big help to me. Right now, it's just a project. The guy is asking $300 for it. Here's a pic. Look at the sacrilege +1.gif

DVC0000002.jpg

I can't wait to strip it down to the bone. Here in BC, the bike will be available for "Collector Plate" which means dirt cheap insurance, but it has to be in mint condition and if modified, the modifications had to be available at the time of production.

Viva la 1st Gen!

Hey Stephane !!

You still in BC, with this bike ?? I'm working on a '84 VF750F, would love to chat/ see some pics, and get ideas of what I'm in for. Message me back if you can.

CM."-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tiny little update, took the gauge cluster apart to repair the broken trip meter. Back when I tried to take out the little screw that holds the reset knob, the screw snapped off, and also broke the arm for the spring on the inside of the meter reset assembly. Luckily I have two extra clusters, so I christened my new workbench with a Swiss watchmaker feel...
The one that snapped off, and the replacement above:
speedorestopics010.jpg
I also wanted to swap out the white backing tub, because the bottom left tab had a piece missing:
speedorestopics009.jpg
First one apart:
speedorestopics016.jpg
Second one apart:
speedorestopics020.jpg
Knob ready for reconditioning, I dunked it in the Vaseline, wrapped it in a shop towel, and stuffed it in the little baggie with its screw.
speedorestopics013.jpg
Cleaned the tub:
speedorestopics021.jpg
Pulled the old shaft and replaced with better, also replaced a small plastic piece inside the meter assembly. Reset and realigned all the trip meter tumblers, and reassembled(with an different knob for illustration, the other is still soaking).
speedorestopics022.jpg
speedorestopics044.jpg
I am now waiting on a shipment from superbrightleds.com, I am replacing all the bulbs with 5-led bulbs in the tub, all will be red to really set off the already red-colored gauges, also replacing the indicator lights with smaller led's, color coded to the indicators. Should be nice and bright and rich. :fing02:
And here's a shot of the right side Vance & Hines full system, not the best shot, I know, but at least I've posted on now... I won't be using the V&H cans, I'm making custom carbon exhausts that will slip on to the head pipes.
speedorestopics042.jpg

All very cool -- got another bike I'm working on now, this is great to see the instrument cluster apart and put back together again. I'll want to do the same LED's for my bike when the time comes. Looks awesome !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...