My 1983 Vf750f Restoration Project, Lotsa Big Pics!

SEBSPEED

• 2 weeks later...
Trouble is, there isn't enough room left on the bar to mount the clamp, that's why I cut the first one. Sorry, I didn't specify that. I might try to get another whatchamacallit - the clamp piece for the clutch master - maybe I can weld the mirror mount to the top of that, or make a new one entirely... ?

Will these help?

Mirror clamp

Yes, they would - if they fit onto Honda controls. I've seen them, problem is, they're made to fit brembo & Magura controls which have offset mounting screws. sad.gif

Ahh. Thought you were running brembo's but must have been thinking of the '86?

1000RR clutch master! Would like them to match, ya know?

I've got an ace up my sleeve, just waiting to get some parts cut and I'll let you see it... :unsure:

So, here's a preview of the "ace"... I drew up these bar end mounts and had them waterjetted. Still need to clean them up a bit, drill some holes, then polish & add a few touches of black paint.

11-17-09.jpg

The large hole at the bottom will fit over a machined(oem) bar end, and held in place by a clamping screw. I'm going to press fit a piece of 3/8" aluminum round stock at the top, which will provide a mount for the Rizoma mirror. I'll be able to put the main mounts in a few different positions to enable clearance & good sight lines, and allow for the look I want. Hoping it works out.

• Member Contributer

I don't have a pic handy, but I know what you're talking about. You're right, it's seldom mentioned when oil kits are referenced. All you need to do is stick a bolt in there along with a new crush washer to block it off. I don't remember the bolt size off the top of my head, and the PM I had that contained the info was lost the last time we had an outage here, I lost at least 100 PMs that had good info in them! I will take a walk out to the shop and see if I wrote it down in my notes out there. It's either M10 or M12, x 1.0 or 1.25, 25mm long I believe.

Sorry for being vague, just don't haven't had my head in garage mode for too long now. sad.gif I do know that I bought the bolt at Home Depot(will replace with an nice anodized part eventually...). If you take the old bolt to a hardware store, you should be able to find what you need. You'll want to engage at least 5-6 threads, and you don't want one that's too long either. Just subtract the amount of shoulder on the old bolt that accommodated the banjo fitting.

The actual bolt needed is an M10x1.25 hex head bolt 20mm long. This is a fine thread, so don't try forcing in a course thread bolt! Here are the detailed instructions for installing a top end oiling modification, in case anyone is interested:

http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/pdf/V4_Oil_Line_Instructions.pdf

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

7-19-09028.jpg

7-19-09029.jpg

See where I'm going with this?

7-19-09030.jpg

I'll use two zip ties to secure it once it's wired in, even with one it felt pretty secure but I'm not taking any chances.

Hopefully more to come very soon!

Help! Seb I'm installing my Autocom and em looking for a keyed hot for a signal for relay. I know I could tie into this one or that one but I can not find out what 3 out of the 4 fuses are for and were they go on a stock bike (my bike). My owner's and shop manuals don't have the info.

Stephen

Help! Seb I'm installing my Autocom and em looking for a keyed hot for a signal for relay. I know I could tie into this one or that one but I can not find out what 3 out of the 4 fuses are for and were they go on a stock bike (my bike). My owner's and shop manuals don't have the info.

Stephen

Why worry about the fuses? Just tap into/trigger your relay with the taillight positive wire, and run an inline fuse from the battery to your accessory.

• Member Contributer

Stephen

Why worry about the fuses? Just tap into/trigger your relay with the taillight positive wire, and run an inline fuse from the battery to your accessory.

Because it is some thing I don't now about my bike. I can't find my schematic and the Honda shop manual dos not have it. And if you tie into the tail light wire you will disable the tail light warning light.

Because it is some thing I don't now about my bike. I can't find my schematic and the Honda shop manual dos not have it. And if you tie into the tail light wire you will disable the tail light warning light.

I'll have to go look it up myself, in that case. My factory manual does have a wiring diagram...

Could tap into the headlight positive wire as well. Or the license plate light. :blink:

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Awesome build! This is going to be probably the best looking VF that I've ever seen! I love the Black frame, with the blue and white bodywork! I may just have to take some tips from you when I restore my '84 700.

Seb, I just finished viewing this entire thread over two evenings and I'm speechless...you are doing what I could only dream of doing with mine!(And I do, believe me!) In the first place, time is at a premium; even though I spend hours in the garage every evening once springtime hits the Midwest, and carry through until snow flies...but what is staggering to me is the amount of cash a project with this much attention to detail must set you back! I'm all up with clean & paint, but the parts alone must've cost you a small fortune! I don't have the luxury of that level of disposable income, so will have to get by on the cheap. But a thread like this is inspirational to all of us. Thanks for sharing!

Seb, I just finished viewing this entire thread over two evenings and I'm speechless...you are doing what I could only dream of doing with mine!(And I do, believe me!) In the first place, time is at a premium; even though I spend hours in the garage every evening once springtime hits the Midwest, and carry through until snow flies...but what is staggering to me is the amount of cash a project with this much attention to detail must set you back! I'm all up with clean & paint, but the parts alone must've cost you a small fortune! I don't have the luxury of that level of disposable income, so will have to get by on the cheap. But a thread like this is inspirational to all of us. Thanks for sharing!

It makes me very happy that so many people have found this rebuild inspirational! It's my one saving grace after stretching this project out so long.

I won't say that I haven't spent a bunch of money on this bike, but please keep in mind that I didn't just go out one day and burn up my credit card. I've literally spent years on ebay and on forums collecting parts, and hundreds of hours of my own labor that (usually) provide pleasure without any associated real cost. I highly doubt this build would have gone anywhere near this level if the bike was my one and only. Having a second bike to ride is key for any rider that wants to tackle a project like this. Believe it or not, I am far from wealthy. I guess I just have different priorities than others.

No matter what you tell yourself going in, there will be many times where you're waiting for parts, or run out of money, or simply hit a "wall" and temporarily lose the desire to continue. I've been obsessed with building a cool VF for 10 years now, since I bought my first one, and this particular project has been ongoing for 8 of them!

I've given up on finishing this bike in any kind of time frame, I will work on it when the mood hits me as that seems to be when I'm most productive. I just can't force myself to work on it anymore, that's really what bred the most frustrating times during the build, and I've found it's better to distract myself with other small projects(or big ones) and switch back and forth. I have a cool distraction of late with a secret 4th gen project I'm working on - but I refuse to spill the beans until it's done!! No more 2-3yr long project threads!!

Guest TripleH
But a thread like this is inspirational to all of us. Thanks for sharing!

I agree, and inspirational in many ways.

Sebspeed, you have given me some renewed hope. I have an emotional bond to my '85 Nighthawk 650, which is in extraordinary condition and is all original except for maintenance items and the front windscreen. I would love to keep it, but I know I need the space, and I don't want to see it sitting in my garage neglected. I have tried giving it away to some museums but never got anybody to say they really wanted it. I refuse to just sell it to someone who won't love it for what it is, a full blown antique in original condition. Your passion for that Viffer rekindles my passion to find the right buyer for my Nighthawk, I'm feeling more positive, there has to be somebody out there who wants a really nice Nighthawk in their collection. Thanks man for the kick in the butt.

1985 Nighthawk 650, 49,500 miles

Needs a new loving home, I have owned this bike since 1991

post-18739-126960640122_thumb.jpg

Edited by TripleH

Guest TwoTrackHero

Mad Skills Sebspeed :warranty:

Youv'e got to love the digital camera era, It enables you to catalog all the thing you did in detail. Oh and of course, Share them with everybody.

Thanks

Pat

But a thread like this is inspirational to all of us. Thanks for sharing!

I agree, and inspirational in many ways.

Sebspeed, you have given me some renewed hope. I have an emotional bond to my '85 Nighthawk 650, which is in extraordinary condition and is all original except for maintenance items and the front windscreen. I would love to keep it, but I know I need the space, and I don't want to see it sitting in my garage neglected. I have tried giving it away to some museums but never got anybody to say they really wanted it. I refuse to just sell it to someone who won't love it for what it is, a full blown antique in original condition. Your passion for that Viffer rekindles my passion to find the right buyer for my Nighthawk, I'm feeling more positive, there has to be somebody out there who wants a really nice Nighthawk in their collection. Thanks man for the kick in the butt.

1985 Nighthawk 650, 49,500 miles

Needs a new loving home, I have owned this bike since 1991

Being a Nighthawk owner myself ('85 700SC) I appreciate your resolve not to knuckle under and sell off that beautiful machine to some hack that won't appreciate it, or worse yet, cobble it up. Stand strong!

Guest TripleH
Being a Nighthawk owner myself ('85 700SC) I appreciate your resolve not to knuckle under and sell off that beautiful machine to some hack that won't appreciate it, or worse yet, cobble it up. Stand strong!

Niiiiiiiice, the S, the best of the Nighthawks!

Thanks, I appreciate the words of encouragement.

It makes me very happy that so many people have found this rebuild inspirational! It's my one saving grace after stretching this project out so long.

I won't say that I haven't spent a bunch of money on this bike, but please keep in mind that I didn't just go out one day and burn up my credit card. I've literally spent years on ebay and on forums collecting parts, and thousands of hours of my own labor that (usually) provide pleasure without any associated real cost. I highly doubt this build would have gone anywhere near this level if the bike was my one and only, having a second bike to ride is key for any rider that wants to tackle a project like this. Believe it or not, I am far from wealthy. I guess I just have different priorities than others.

No matter what you tell yourself going in, there will be many times where you're waiting for parts, or run out of money, or simply hit a "wall" and temporarily lose the desire to continue. I've been obsessed with building a cool VF for 10 years now, since I bought my first one, and this particular project has been ongoing for 8 of them!

I've given up on finishing this bike in any kind of time frame, I will work on it when the mood hits me as that seems to be when I'm most productive. I just can't force myself to work on it anymore, that's really what bred the most frustrating times during the build, and I've found it's better to distract myself with other small projects(or big ones) and switch back and forth. I have a cool distraction of late with a secret 4th gen project I'm working on - but I refuse to spill the beans until it's done!! No more 2-3yr long project threads!!

This is great advice for anyone that is thinking about doing something like this. I know I started working on my VFR project last October with thoughts of maybe being ready for our first track day in April 2010. I thought my first goal to have a running "Frankenviffer" to sort out was easily possible but I hit a point where the project became "work" and I was pushing to complete it "on time". I have had to adjust my pace and accept that do something right, like Seb's project, takes lots of time and energy to do it right.

This is a very inspiring thread! Thanks for taking the time Seb, I might have to take a ride out from NH to see it and sneek some pics of that top secret 4th gen project...

I might have to take a ride out from NH to see it and sneek some pics of that top secret 4th gen project...

Thanks, but I check cameras at the door. :laugh: Don't make me chase you to NH... :laugh: :warranty:

I won't say that I haven't spent a bunch of money on this bike, but please keep in mind that I didn't just go out one day and burn up my credit card. I've literally spent years on ebay and on forums collecting parts, and thousands of hours of my own labor that (usually) provide pleasure without any associated real cost. I highly doubt this build would have gone anywhere near this level if the bike was my one and only, having a second bike to ride is key for any rider that wants to tackle a project like this. Believe it or not, I am far from wealthy. I guess I just have different priorities than others.

Seb, I know what you mean. I have a car up on jack stands that I'm "restoring"....and have been for over 20 years. It's finished when it's finished. If ever. You reach a point where interest peaks and down-slides, then it's into the Valley of Darkness. And it's best not to proceed forward at that point. Doesn't mean you have to give up or sell it, just that it's not productive to proceed in this mindset.

I have three other bikes (Nighthawk S, Yamaha Seca 550 and Buell M2) to ride while I work on my projects (VF750 and CB550 Four) like you, so I don't get to feeling desperate. I think this is where many projects end up on the auction block; the owners get frustrated at not being able to ride in conjunction with self-imposed deadlines.

Anyway, it's refreshing to see someone has done what I would if I could, utilizing eBay, forums, common sense, and a little....ahem..."Yankee Ingenuity" to turn a bike into a stunning, one-of-a-kind, head-turner. Thanks for the shot of inspiration.

B.Rex....saving our motorcycle heritage one bike at a time

Seb, I know what you mean. I have a car up on jack stands that I'm "restoring"....and have been for over 20 years. It's finished when it's finished. If ever. You reach a point where interest peaks and down-slides, then it's into the Valley of Darkness. And it's best not to proceed forward at that point. Doesn't mean you have to give up or sell it, just that it's not productive to proceed in this mindset.

I have three other bikes (Nighthawk S, Yamaha Seca 550 and Buell M2) to ride while I work on my projects (VF750 and CB550 Four) like you, so I don't get to feeling desperate. I think this is where many projects end up on the auction block; the owners get frustrated at not being able to ride in conjunction with self-imposed deadlines.

Anyway, it's refreshing to see someone has done what I would if I could, utilizing eBay, forums, common sense, and a little....ahem..."Yankee Ingenuity" to turn a bike into a stunning, one-of-a-kind, head-turner. Thanks for the shot of inspiration.

:warranty: Seems we share a point of view.

Now get back to work you slacker! :laugh:

:warranty: Seems we share a point of view.

Now get back to work you slacker! :laugh:

I'm on it.........

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RedForeman

Great build. Love the fab work you've done and all the attention to detail. I'd like to get my hands on an old vfr some day. Right now I've got a small scale project going on my ZR550 Kawi. I used to be into cars but bikes are so much more fun and easier to build so I couldn't help tearing my little Zephyr apart.

ZR550 project