Mixing Tires

Guest milesbandit

Guest milesbandit

I've run about three sets of Metzler Z6s on my '00 and been very happy with them. I have a front with a couple thousand miles that looks good and a worn- out rear. I checked with my local shop today and they want $180 for the rear, which I think is up about $50 from the last one I bought not that long ago. So I checked online at ridedirect.com, and they want $200! So I read through a few threads and think I want to try the Bridgestone BT021s, whice are selling online for $130 plus $10 delivery.

I've always run the same brand front and back and heard it's not a good idea to mix, but has anybody actually had a bad experience? I'm a medium fast street rider, or maybe slow fast. It wouldn't kill me to pay an extra $70 for a tire. Would it kill me to mix brands?

I've run about three sets of Metzler Z6s on my '00 and been very happy with them. I have a front with a couple thousand miles that looks good and a worn- out rear. I checked with my local shop today and they want $180 for the rear, which I think is up about $50 from the last one I bought not that long ago. So I checked online at ridedirect.com, and they want $200! So I read through a few threads and think I want to try the Bridgestone BT021s, whice are selling online for $130 plus $10 delivery.

I've always run the same brand front and back and heard it's not a good idea to mix, but has anybody actually had a bad experience? I'm a medium fast street rider, or maybe slow fast. It wouldn't kill me to pay an extra $70 for a tire. Would it kill me to mix brands?

Right now I'm runnin a Pilotpower front with a z6 rear , Pretty dang good. Its actually so good it will be hard for me to go back the z6 front when the heat returns next spring. This is my second round with ppower front But I'd stiffend the front end since the last time I'd ran it , and I think I was running a z4 or ST45 Avon rear at the time.

A pilot rode rear with a z6 front? Now you talk about SHIT! Takes atleast a Half aSS rider to survive that combo LOL!

I had to run a BT014 rear with a Pilot Power front for a while, no probs really. Just found the BT014 a bit squirmier than the power. Now I've got a Pilot Power up front and a Pilot Road 2CT at the rear, feels excellent.

• Member Contributer

I think the only horrible thing is to run a bias on one end and a radial on the other. My dad's '83 CB1000 came like that when he bought it a few years ago. It never felt right in a corner. We swapped a new front radial to match the rear and the world was good again. Just my 2 cents.

I had a pirelli supercorsa (radial) up front and a Bridg bt45 rear on stock rim (first gen vfr) and no complains but not recomended. Now I have metz Z6 front and rear. Feels better. Former I always had mixed tires and no problem. The only risk what I think is putting a grippier tire rear than front, like replacing the stock 020 rear whit a pilotpower and leave the 020 front. So go whit the 021 rear is my 2 cent.

My Conti Road Attack front still has some tread left but the rear was very worn (flat center tread) so I replaced it with a new Conti Sport Attack. Basically the same tread design but the rear is grippier.

I'm hoping both tires 'die' at about the same time, which is why I bought a faster-wearing rear this time. When these are worn I'm planning to replace them with Avon Storms.

• Member Contributer

I don't usually run differing types or brands front and rear, but I've done it several times while switching brands while waiting for one or the other to wear out. I've never had any particular problems save for less than stellar handling, which may have been caused by worn tires more than anything.

I've mixed everything in the last 100,000 miles w/o any real issues, but I try to always run the same or softer(stickier) compound on the front compared to the rear. I think the only rear place you could have some issues would be in rain and maybe having a front tire that doesn't clear as well as what the rear was designed to follow, but again never any real problem for me.

The biggest factor IMO would be that as long as you run tires of similar profiles, the brand won't matter much. I have felt a difference between front and rear response when running different type profile tires, but it's not like it's un-ridable. :goofy:

Great thread, I was wondering about running different brands myself as it's getting time to change my rear while my front still has plenty of tread. Funny how this forum seems to have the answer for everything!

Thanks to all who brought up their experiences!

I am not running different brands, just different tires. I have a Strada on the front, and a Corsa III on the rear. I liked the Strada when it was new, but as time went on I didn't have much faith in the tire. Better than the Dunlop 204's that came stock, but neither of them are anywhere near what the Corsa III has for grip and confidence, IMHO.

To get back on point, I have absolutely no issues with running two different kinds of tires. Finally starting to scrub the front one in more.

I am not running different brands, just different tires. I have a Strada on the front, and a Corsa III on the rear. I liked the Strada when it was new, but as time went on I didn't have much faith in the tire. Better than the Dunlop 204's that came stock, but neither of them are anywhere near what the Corsa III has for grip and confidence, IMHO.

To get back on point, I have absolutely no issues with running two different kinds of tires. Finally starting to scrub the front one in more.

My only concern here(this set-up) is that you have rear tire with 2-3 times the grip of the front and if you ever got into a situation where you pushed/needed the grip in a turn your front will wash out first! :goofy:

That's the opposite situation I would want, I would get a Corsa III or at least a Corsa on the front asap. (unless you don't push it or ride twisties) Around town it wouldn't matter near as much.

Grip rating would be from lowest to highest(track) would be Strada, Diablo, Corsa, Corsa III. I would have no problem running the opposite set-up with the riding I do(all twisties) with a Corsa III front and Strada or better rear as it's MUCH easier to catch a rear slide then a front tire slide. :goofy: Be careful.

Yes the Corsa III is a very good tire.

:thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Would it kill me to mix brands?

Mixing brands or even mixing radials and bias ain't life threatening... it's when you mix

profiles that you will experience weird handling... not life threatening just weird... you

will note that some profiles are pointy whereas some are round...

Honda's RC30 came with an bias in the front and a radial in the back...

Would it kill me to mix brands?

Mixing brands or even mixing radials and bias ain't life threatening... it's when you mix

profiles that you will experience weird handling... not life threatening just weird... you

will note that some profiles are pointy whereas some are round...

Honda's RC30 came with an bias in the front and a radial in the back...

That's wild Larry, but probably a handling cure on the RC30. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

baileyrock is spot on.. most tires are designed so that in wet weather the front does the majority of the clearing for the rear tire.Just my opinion, but i wouldn't mix brands.

• Member Contributer
That's wild Larry, but probably a handling cure on the RC30. :unsure:

Not really Bailey... what I've learned is that in 1988 there were no radials fronts in

production for Honda to employ...

Well, in the end, I bought the Metzler. Cost about $30 more than a Bridgestone, but the front and rear should both be good for about 5k miles now, then I'll change out both of them. Now I just have to wait until Tuesday when the tire comes in. That means no long rides this weekend, but I'm definitely getting out there.

Well, in the end, I bought the Metzler. Cost about $30 more than a Bridgestone, but the front and rear should both be good for about 5k miles now, then I'll change out both of them. Now I just have to wait until Tuesday when the tire comes in. That means no long rides this weekend, but I'm definitely getting out there.

Last month I bought a z6 rear for $135 locally, couldnt believe it, thats a mail order price

I'm really starting to see mail order and some local pricing very competitive, ofcourse I think tires went up across the board over the last 30 days, so I probably wont see that price again

I dont think the 021 will outlast the z6 , so I dont think ya lost any money, how many miles is $30 worth

Last month I bought a z6 rear for $135 locally, couldnt believe it, thats a mail order price

I'm really starting to see mail order and some local pricing very competitive, ofcourse I think tires went up across the board over the last 30 days, so I probably wont see that price again

I dont think the 021 will outlast the z6 , so I dont think ya lost any money, how many miles is $30 worth

We'll see. Some guys on the tire threads I was reading said they were getting 8 or 9k on the rear Bridgestone. I've never got 8 or 9k on any rear. Motorcycle tires are just expensive, no way around it I've found, which is why I ride a scooter in town. Not to mention gas.

Sure will be nice to have new rubbers,though, whatever.

We'll see. Some guys on the tire threads I was reading said they were getting 8 or 9k on the rear Bridgestone. I've never got 8 or 9k on any rear. Motorcycle tires are just expensive, no way around it I've found, which is why I ride a scooter in town. Not to mention gas.

Sure will be nice to have new rubbers,though, whatever.

I've seen some say the same thing on the z6 rear, The last sporttour test showed the roadattack and the 021 similar in average milege, they were the bottom of the group. The Z6 was rated the longest miles, even over the Pilotroad 2

This is my first z6 rear, I've ran the strada which is supposed to be the same tire, and yielded me 4000 mile to the steel. The strada seemed to be more subseptible to little cuts and tears, of which I'm seeing none of that on the z6, but the final result will be the miles. I've got about 2,000 mile on the z6 rear so far, if its gets 5000+ its definitely not the same tire.

I have high hopes for the z6 rear, because generally I can only scrape 6,000+ miles out of a front tire, the z6 front I scraped 10,000 mile and that was through the hot summer. It was complety shot though handling was suffereing. I have a Pilotpower front now, oooh shes so good, it will be hard to go back to the z6 front when the heat comes back.

...This is my first z6 rear, I've ran the strada which is supposed to be the same tire...

Not quite true. The Strada came out after the Z6 and Metzler/Pirelli claims the Strada has an updated/newer compound. It's suppose to be sticker than the Z6, but it should last just as long. :unsure:

And base on my very limited experience, I would have to agree with Metzler/Pirelli on this one. wink.gif While I got 9k miles out of both my sets of Z6s and Stradas, I thought the Stradas were better in the corners. :thumbsup:

...This is my first z6 rear, I've ran the strada which is supposed to be the same tire...

Not quite true. The Strada came out after the Z6 and Metzler/Pirelli claims the Strada has an updated/newer compound. It's suppose to be sticker than the Z6, but it should last just as long. :unsure:

And base on my very limited experience, I would have to agree with Metzler/Pirelli on this one. wink.gif While I got 9k miles out of both my sets of Z6s and Stradas, I thought the Stradas were better in the corners. :thumbsup:

The Strada's are my fav ST tire, but I still only got 2600 miles from a rear and experienced some rear stepping out after about half tread.

milesbandit, trying to judge your mileage based on others will never be accurate, just too many variables.

Now when my buddy who I ride most of my miles with says he gets "whatever" from a set of Tires I know that will be real close to what I could expect. :thumbsup:

Guest curvecrazy

Pirelli does claim that the strada is different in compound than the Z6. They claim the tire was designed by a completely different engineering team even. fwiw

Now, marketing hype aside. My understanding is that they are made side by side to the Metzelers in the same factory. They may indeed be engineered by different teams but I'd expect the teams used the same proprietary information and compounds in that engineering. So how much different could the tires actually be when both are designed for the same user niche?

I've used both. Both have been/are good. The Z6 has a more solid rubber center than the Strada and I'd think that would equate to more mileage. The Strada still gets very respectable mileage. I think the only way to compare directly in terms of traction and longevity would be in a factory controlled environment in equal conditions. Very hard to make such a comparison to that on the road with the many variables that can present.

In terms of mixing and matching, I've done lots of it and no problems. I try to have a bit softer compound on the front as previously stated. fwiw

milesbandit, trying to judge your mileage based on others will never be accurate, just too many variables.

Now when my buddy who I ride most of my miles with says he gets "whatever" from a set of Tires I know that will be real close to what I could expect. :thumbsup:

Thats for sure. I remember Nicole saying she got like 14k out of her bto-20's. I got maybe 4k out of the rear. Big diffirence, she was commuting and I was railing twisties.

Archived